Things you DON'T want in Shroud of the Avatar or want improved

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toxic_Knight, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I was a bit snappy, but I like you from the other threads so I didn't lay into you. I like to think I was being direct and forceful. However I come in peace and mean you no harm. Thanks for the post.

Mordecai likes this.
  2. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I had thought that this might have been the case, but I wasn't sure. I used the sarcastic remark because I figured it would work either way.

Back on topic though, I don't want jacks of all trades.

Isaiah likes this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I also agree with the "I don't want jacks of all trades," comment.

4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I don't want to have to focus on a small area of expertise, and not be allowed to explore a wide variety of trades.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I wouldn't mind if we could level up higher for crafting skills than we can for combat related skills. I think when it comes to combat skills it should be more focused.

6. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Can you really have it both ways? o_OI mean is that even fair???:confused:

7. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I think, looking at the sigils, that you shouldn't be entirely restricted to a small area of expertise, however, I think it will probably be more along the lines of the more "Expert" you want to be in a particular skill, the narrower you're going to have to make your focus. Maybe you can reach "Expert" (Or GM or whatever the terminology may end up being) in 3 or so skills on a given sigil, but they will likely need to be ones that are in close proximity to each other. This seems more likely with the Crafting and Magic Sigils than the Combat Sigil.

My best guess is that you'll have a choice based on Level Point allotments to either learn the basics of most or all of the various skills, but that would negate the ability to reach the higher(est) levels of any skill. Continuing further, if you narrow your focus down to several skills, you'd get a little further in each one. Narrow further to few skills and THEN you might be able to max one or more of them out. Basically, along the same lines of UO where you COULD put skill points into EVERYTHING, but you would not have anywhere near enough to actually GM anything if you kept them all at the same levels, or would have to GM some and have partial skill in others, or could have a narrow, focus list of skills that were GMed.

Then the question will become can we retrain our characters and reset how those Skill choices are allotted and how will that be accomplished.

BillRoy likes this.
  8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Here's the real truth...

I don't want to be a crafter...:oops:
    I mean if it's like UO, I'll fletch arrows and use dye vats, but that's about it...:(

9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

What I dont want is:
    You get one character but they can own as many housing plots as they decide to Pay $150 a plot for. thats a lot more than Nickel & Diming.
    With limited Plots available ingame, I want one House Plot per account, so they dont end up being sold outside of the game for more $$. They say Housing is not important to the game so why is the 1st Beta session 3 days of HOUSING decoration.

BillRoy likes this.
  10. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I don't want this either. Even Portalarium doesn't want this, but they know that either way, people are going to buy extra houses, so they opted to just sell additional plots openly. Strangely, they didn't do this with multiple character slots per account, despite the fact that people are buying multiple accounts. I guess they're more worried about people beating the player interaction-based system than they are about people cashing in on the housing land rush.

11. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

They are making money off the base sales, and aren't concerned with E-Bay sales as long as they are getting a cut of the pie.
    It might be a different matter if they made nothing off of player generated items, such as gold or harvestables.

12. strife

strife Avatar

Schizophrenia has nothing to due with Multiple Personality Disorder, it is a common misconception. Schizophrenia is delusional thinking, same person just delusional and paranoid thinking brought on by stress.

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

-Global chat
    -Global auction house
    -Publisher
    -???
    -Publisher (did I mention no publisher?)

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

With you on all 3.

15. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

That's not crazy.

Mordecai likes this.
  16. Benny5

Benny5 Avatar

I don't want chat windows to be the only option - not sure if that's final or not, but: I liked seeing the guards texts pop up above them like on uo. not saying don't have the option available, but also offer text on screen...
    I don't want names to not show up above monsters/players and I don't want a fixed health/mana bar - you should be able to move your health bar & your targets health bar around.
    PS: if all of this has been corrected in game forgive me :p I have only seen videos so far and not yet played beta! I want to though!!

17. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Chatboxes please. As a Roleplayer I am finding it annoying that games like SWTOR which had a vast RP community to not have chat boxes. RP died really fast in that game for me, simply because everyone was typing and I kept missing what the person I was talking to was saying. More visual variety in armor, like long (midthigh and bellow) chainmail shirts and leather tunics, chainmail shirts with tabards (if they add heraldry then the ability to place the image there), hooded cloaks (or perhaps have the hoods separate from the cloaks), not silly tall pauldrons of awesomeness :p.

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

and it could give the person visual and auditory hallucinations

19. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I also would like a chat box but the distance in which people talking around you appearing in the chat unless it was some sort of /ooc or /shout. That way you could have an intimate conversation yet it could still be "overheard" by other nearby players and nosy NPCs.

20. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Ultima 1-7 had NPC's who you could ask to join you on your adventure. I'd like to be able to have this kind of interaction with NPC's in SotA too. We don't have to be a 'party' where I can control all the inventories of everyone, but I'd like to be able to make friends with players and non-players alike, and spend serious time with them, whether I join them on their quest, or they join me on mine, both would be favorable.

Though if there's a talking mouse who I can control and wander through town, and access small areas like rat holes and secret passages through castles, fit through portcullises, that would be tons of fun.

One problem I had with Ultima IV, was how dungeons were treated as 'monster lairs'. this meant that if someone lived down there, you could take their stuff and it wouldn't count as stealing, because they're not living in an accepted part of society (on the surface). that's unethical, and i'd like that to be reconsidered in SotA. Also, if there's children down there, you could kill them without penalty.. since they're in a dungeon they were seen as monsters.. obviously that's unethical too.. there should have been a side quest to attempt to rescue them somehow, but as it was you had to kill them, hurt them so they ran away, or leave them there in their misery.. all seem like unethical decisions to me.

I really liked how if someone died, you could pick up their body and carry them to a healer who could resurrect them for a price. This is something I'd love to see in SotA, for both players and non-player characters..

I didn't like how if you committed enough crimes, you'd have parties of hunters out to kill you. no matter how severe the crime, you just get hunted down and killed. What's the deal with Yew, the city of Justice, if you can't go through that system? Give me a trial, throw me in jail, put me on the rack, force me to admit my guilt, or pay a fine.. throw me into the abyss.. lock me in a dungeon or prison.. all of the above! hunt me down and capture me and bring me to justice. let players hunt down criminals and capture them and bring them to justice.

If a player is about to do something that's illegal, like attack someone, or wield a weapon within city walls, or steal from a house, etc.. especially the first time trying that particular action, give them a window (are you sure?) to confirm that the action was indeed intentional. sometimes clicking on things happens by accident, especially when you have to hold down mouse buttons just to make the camera view move around.

I didn't like how no matter how you dressed your character in most of the Ultimas, the figure on the screen always looked the same. I know this is changed, so that's nice.

I would like if all the trade and pricing in the game was negotiable. Varying negotiation skills of the different vendors throughout the game really adds to their personality. Each vendor does need to negotiate differently for this to be effective, better yet if they change over time based on economy, supply, weather, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.