This made me extremely happy, botters down.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mac2, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

75% one to 75% the other I guess?

I like the idea of mini games for crafting but its... impractical? for the most part.

even a very simple mobile game takes a few months to develop a well rounded game.

does every single craftable item need its own unique mini game?

how long is the mini game? is it a standard length?

is it for a single item? or one game for each batch?

does the length of the game scale with batch size.

what are the actual game play mechinics of it a timing game and quicktime game a match 3 game a dance off tetris? candy crush pong.

what if the player is really really bad at the game and cant get a good score and that prevents them from doing high level crafting.

should it not really be a game but just a clicker game so no one can "fail"?

I am working on a rpg in my copious free time and was dead set on mini game crafting for a long time lol
    but after hours days months of theory crafting ive settled for a Minecraft/grid/ recipie list thing kinda like in shroud as the best interface for my system.

crafting in shroud needs work and polish from the time to make some items to the amounts needed but bots and macros that are 3rd party are never the answer and should have always been against ports policy.

its a bad precedence to set as the fight against bots hacks and exploits is never ending in a mmo giving any space is to much. I would have railed against it if I had been around when it was stated it was ok to bot in any manner.

way to many words no one is going to read all this

TLDR: BOTS BAD. PORTA BAD FOR ALLOWING BOTS. ONLY ME SMART IDEA! SHARP HEAD IS I WISE AN STUFFS.

2. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Yeah, I max out at about 500-600 silver ore a day in Elysium Mine before I just can't take any more, and don't even want to play the game for the rest of the day. But I go through the same thing farming The Rise mage room (best solo xp I've found which I can manage). Only so much I can take grinding before I'm burnt out on the game for the day.

However, on days where I don't focus on grinding, my play sessions may go for hours. The problem is that during 2x XP bonus times, I feel obligated to grind - grind - grind. As much as I appreciate the opportunity to try and catch up to others, I think it's bad for the overall health of the game and community.

What really depresses me is to do the numbers on how many mastercrafts I can get out of 600 silver ore...

It takes me about 2 hours to mine 600s if I focus hard on mining. That is mentally draining and I'm ready to step away for quite some time after a session like that.

It takes 4 silver ore to create 1 silver ingot...

600 silver ore / 4 silver ore per ingot = 150 silver ingots

It takes 5 silver ingots to attempt one mastercraft

150 silver ingots / 5 silver ingots per mastercraft = 30 mastercrafts

I'm at 67 mastercrafting in blades alone...I still want to raise Chainmail and Platemail minimum...

Those 30 mastercraft attempts is going to get me maybe 3-4 skill levels in blades mastercrafting with 1.5mil producer xp pooled.

I know it's only going to get more extreme from there trying to get to GM...

Just very depressing to think about how much silver ore I need to GM just ONE mastercraft skill.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    MFWalter, Drake Aedus and Dyonisys like this.
  3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

In FFXI, fishing bots were once a big problem. The system was easy to game (especially since the game client was easy to inject .dlls into), and they would just sell all the fish for moneys. A friend who did night shift phone support had co-worker who would run an FFXI fish bot while watching the screen. One thing the GMs would do to confirm you were a bot was to cause your character to rotate, and if you were still trying to do the same thing without rotating back, it was obvious you were AFK and thus botting.

Later changes included a complete replacement of the fishing process (I started after this change, so I don't know the old one), nerfing NPC buy prices, and a limit of 200 fish per day. The bots have also gotten a little more capable. In the recent free week I saw some farm bots that all but took over two zones, killing everything in their little area, racking up some game points that they could later change for game moneys. This guy must have been running 20-30 bot characters, each of which was a separate account and connection! Except they were dumb in certain ways if other players were around. In particular, they could only see what was right in front of themselves, and if the mob they saw was claimed, they would stare at it forever, even if an aggro mob came by and was whacking away at them.

4. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Refining materials and gathering water add nothing to the game, maybe we should just do without or come up with some reason to have them

5. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Ok... seriously.... I hear 60k here, 20k there, 25k over there...

Seriously?

Do you all need to max all crafting skill in two weeks double exp?

I thought i am borderline with 5k ore (and that is ALL ore, silver gold iron copper) and my 4k animal skins.

Seriously.

Give it one or two month time maybe?

I mean my plan for this game is like, one year for the basics (like, adv 120, crafting as i need it) and then looking what else.

But.. seriously, you guys take this waaaaaay to serious.

6. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Yes gathering water sucks. I'm a farmer and it's the bane of my existence. I have about 380 plots myself. But he said they will address it in R55. I'll wait and see. And Even still having that many plots is a choice... and no excuse for botting.

7. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Good riddance!?

hammadowna likes this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm just hoping that, however this works, that it doesn't confuse "poor attention span" with botting. I often play at work and if I set 60 ingots smelting I can tab out and ignore it for a good while. Usually tab back in and set 60 more going when I hear the sound effect stop. Not using any sort of program, or anything like that, but not really sitting there watching it either. Of course, I sometimes go 15 minutes without hitting any buttons t all because I get distracted by shiny things elsewhere. I'm hoping that this behavior isn't what's being targetted here, because seriously, who wants to stare at refining bars for 8 hours?

I think the main reason why people bot is because the content is tedious, like water-bucketing. I refuse to do this unless I'm watching netflix on the other screen, for example. I think simply speeding up some of these tedious progress bars would eliminate the tempation to bot for many people. There's always those disreputable types that will bot for profit, and I say, ban them all Chris! Good Riddance! But 60 ingots takes a good 8 minutes of 'idle' play, even with the speed thing lvled up. For the xp cost, we could do with a bit more bang for our buck on that speed increaser, in my opinion.

9. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I agree so much I clicked like three times!

There is one thing to note though. I've explicitly NOT leveled up the time thing for refining, specifically because i queue it up then go do something else. Not only would I waste XP, but I wouldn't get done any faster anyway (because I would just idle until I looked back).

10. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

Yes , this exactly!

Ryodin Stormwind and Drake Aedus like this.
  11. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

I just want to tear my eyes out right now... the only reason I'm on the forums is because I need to chew through 1k scrap-> in order to do a nice fun thing for other people! I could be doing literally anything else right now...

I feel like refining is the same thing as opening a stream in a tab you are not listening to just to boost the viewer count! It almost feels like the 20+ refining skills were added just to reach some meaningless milestone of "We have X skills in game!".

MFWalter and K1000 like this.
  12. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

ya i'm sort in the middle spot for getting water almost 200 plants per cycle it's madding around that amount it's like almost to much to spend time getting it out the well and not quite too madding to spend a hour getting the water out the well vs too expensive to buy the water

13. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

I stopped getting my own water.... I buy it... I manage about 700 plants daily when in operation... it's just easier to buy the water.

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Stop gathering water, and go kill stuff for coin already. Do the math, one kill 20 coin = ten water and takes about 2 seconds, or sit in front of a well and get 1 every 8 seconds or whatever it is. UNLESS you use a bot and are not even at your computer, gathering water from well is an utter waste of your time.

Lesni likes this.
  15. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

As Mac said. Why are you wasting time getting buckets of water? 400 water is only 800 gold. Use those 400 with 100 mandrake at 16 ea and for 2400 you come up with 1600 mandrake if watered correctly.

Mac2 likes this.
  16. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Yes

hammadowna likes this.
  17. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

I wish @Chris would have just straight up banned these people. I believe players that would abuse the system as it's setup are what's hurting current retention numbers. It's just not fair.

Spinok likes this.
  18. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

An easy temporary "fix" for water would be to have it automatically get added to inventory after each harvest.

Watet harvesting would still suck, but it would suck less until a batch type system/skill is implemented .

19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

What isn't fair is to ban people who are doing something you clearly said you did not care about... I am against botting, but I would have found it really a bad move considering they previously said they didnt worry about people botting stuff in PoT's like water gathering and refining. Now that a warning has been issued, PLEASE ban the botters from now on.

Tiina Onir and Dyonisys like this.
  20. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Its what he said in another thread, only the ones who abused botting to insane levels got an slap on the wrist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.