This was asked for so here it is, forced to PvP or Not - -

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Weins201, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Im comming to pick pocket you :) See you in a little bit big boy :)

3devious, MrBlight and Duke Avery like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm not going to comment about what's right and wrong (as I really don't care either way) but, going the other way, that would be a 20% reduction.

3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

The point that everyone is missing is that it's fun. I'm not a min/max player - but I guess now it's only fair that I consider myself a PVPer... before this boost, I was just a.... well, not much really... hopeful? wishful? lurking?

Get in the game folks... if you hate PVP and you'll never PVP... well, ok. :p

Come and play.

Audacity and MrBlight like this.
  4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

This is just another thread that is biased from the start.

And here i go again.. And once again i will get removed for * Personal attacks against Weins * for pointing out this biased.

Starting in no particular order.

1- Your degrading the amount of skill Jobe actually displayed in those videos. He is VERY good at what he does and his style of play. I guarentee you, that you could run the exact same setup, level of skills and gear, and he would waste you. (and most people) He moves like a FPS game? By what.. not standing there casting at each other? This isnt, and shouldnt be final fantasy where you take turns firing at each other. Damn right he moves almost .. dare i say.. strategically to get the advantage? Failing to see how that is a bad thing. And if this video shows anything, you can see that he takes that whole premise of * first hit your dead * outa it. Some of those exchanges are long and calculated skill use. The further along i go, the more i see this. I just had open pvp with a player significantly better then me, who actually broke down the skill counters they were using. This is the difference between a bad pvper, and a good pvp'er. This is no where NEAR a FPS style pvp game, despite how it might feel the first WEEK into the game, if your doing it.

2 - I already counter'd your own *personal calculations* but got removed for not being nice enough.. 1 of the largest problems i had with it was simply that you were using level 40 skills on 5 skull mobs. Then being surprised about the skill use, and the exp used. You were spamming 5 skills, to a persons 1, who would be at that level, had they followed a real build. This destroyed the whole premise of your test. ( this is NOT a personal attack, but a complete counter to your non stop * this is the average player , playing the game * * being used in the example, and then implying its any kind of accurate testing *)
    You were killing 5 skull mobs, with level 40 skills, where when i leveled.. normally my character, my skills were in the 80s by the time i was on the same stuff and those mobs were yellow to me, like they were for you.
    Please do not make claims with your * Testing* without accuratly accounting for variables and missing information.

The other thing you simply neglected.. was farming in an area with people.
    I agree atm, that yes. People can flag, and find a quiet zone and farm with a 25% bonuse.. abusing the flag, and bypassing the reason it was put in. This sucks, and is do able do to a low player base. (other exploits are known and they are working on it)

But the idea that i can go to one of the best farming zones ( DR for example) , be flagged, and make more exp than if i go to friends mode and do the same thing, is simply false information.
    That 25% basically balances a different style of play ( which i have said 100x ) and inspired more people to PVP. Unfortunalty, you get people who abuse this, by saying ( 100% isnt enough! i better flag and go hide in a safe zone to farm! )) Which is a little unavoidable at this level of population. This also doesnt destroy the premise that this opened up a lot of fun for PVP active people, without purely punishing and turning them off fighting. ( Because lets be honest, the ransom system is fck all and easily bypassed )
    I can argue that control points were exploited, so the whole premise of them is broken.
    I can argue that theres spells that are being exploited, so the whole premise of them is broken.
    I can argue 100 things with the same logic being used against PVP flagging.

What was it, Fire immolation and chain lighting combo can be used to get x5 XP than an archer or tank can pull in. Does that mean as an archer im being punished by making 1/5 th the EXP? Should Archery get 500X exp per kill? Wheres the uproar over this kind of stuff?

If you feel your being punished by getting 100% exp in a safe non competitive environment, and want to flag, then do so. If you chose to do this, and then go to a busy zone and cry that people are attacking you, dont. If you choose to go to a safe zone and grind for an extra 25% , thats your choice and is a flaw in the system that they are working on. Does NOT mean that that 25% isnt balancing out to the people IN busy zones, and giving the PVP'ers a reason to actually flag on their day to day grind, and sparking some real excitement and fun, instead of what has been a boring un rewarding grind . ( which if your using this flag for its intended purpose, is a massive turn off).

I would absolutly love for someone to grind 12 hours in DR ( an average player, lets say an archer ) mark down exactly how much exp they get in friends mode. Then do the EXACT same circuit while PVP flagged and playing like an average player. ( fighting back when jumped, etc etc ) And compare the exp. Maybe 25% is high, maybe its too low. So far not seeing any actual numbers. Just seeing my own, i still make more in friends mode if im using popular zones.
    ( and im assuming long term, they are aiming for every zone to have population in it )

This argument is weak. If you hate the flag idea, simply dont use it. It makes 0 change to your style of play.

5. Numa

Numa Avatar

Too low level right now unfortunately, once I hit 350 will join you.

Duke Avery likes this.
  6. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I'm not forced to PVP, because I don't care. I plug along steadily gaining gold and experience at my own pace. I don't care about other players having more experience than I do. If I did, then I would have jumped on the XP exploits bandwagons I've been reading about. I missed out on those. I don't care about other players having more gold than I do. If I did, then I would have jumped on the gold exploits bandwagons I've been reading about. I missed out on those. I'm far behind the players that did those exploits, and I don't care.

As far as PVP is concerned. Nothing the developers have said or come up with has made me want to PVP in this game. It is for certain that none of the players have. When they can get the essence of this in SotA PVP, then I might consider it.

MIdnightvalkyrie likes this.
  7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Come on - we move in party numbers - you'll be fine! Just tune your inventory and loadout so your lootability is minimized and even if the XP isn't great because (reasons the 25% help to incentivize PVP) you'll learn a ton about deck building, buffs, debuffs, and working PVP teams in SotA.

Numa and Dirk Hammerstrike like this.
  8. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I am sure that if you would make a test to see who will level faster - pvp on vs off.
    You would all find out very fast that pvp off leveling is way faster then with pvp on and 25% bonus exp.

It reminds alot of DAOC when we all
    found out that it is way faster to level mass of Green Monsters instead of high level Red monsters.

At the end the time loss from getting
    Killed and having to run and find save
    spots with pvp activated will nullify the 25% you all complain about.

Almost all MMOG you could read the same. Going the save way always at the end paid out to be the faster way.

The breaks between killing green monsters vs red monsters combined with the risk of getting killed is the same as on SotA.

As SotA is Used Based Skill Progression i even more think so.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Numa, KhanOfChaos and MrBlight like this.
  9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Killed a guy today, and got a +9 BONE HELM and w.e garbage item. total cost to buy back = 650.
    So lets see.. 15-25 g per mob ( at 1-2 skull areas.. )
    = 26-43 mobs ? For .. what i would say.. the rarest helmet in the game .. masterwork/enchanted x2 x2 + excep?

The oracle prices shouldnt make or break you.. if your struggling with gold that much.. i highly reccomend you ask for advice on simple techniques to make money. PM me if you want. in a 1 skull area you can make 5k an hour just by hauling the drops for selling.

That being said, I agree. a LOT of people are flagging jut for the bonuse. And the only reason they are able to DO that is because of the low population. Does that mean the implementation of it is a faliure? Or just a step aiming for the game long term?
    Of coarse then when you get people going into these * safe havens * and killing you, giving you an idea of what being PVP flagged is supposed to entail, we hear crying about ganking.
    Cant really win now can we?

10. mercster

mercster Avatar

I agree 100%. This might be fun for the min-maxers, but I don't think most normal/"casual" players want to micromanage their skills and XP this way. I am hoping that the way it is now is just "testing mode", and that at some point this stuff "just works" in the background. 'Cuz that's how a good game does it.

P.S. Yes I know some people want to be as efficient as possible, and that will still be possible to a certain degree. They just need to hide some of this stuff; in this case, what you don't see won't hurt you.

Numa and Budner like this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Budner, @mercster,

A lot of the basic game mechanics so far are centered around min-maxing, and I'm not sure what's up with that. So, as someone who likes the idea of food being important, I'm kind of disappointed though because its really just all about min-maxing, and if you're not a min-maxer, its almost pointless IMO. So you might spend a few more minutes in an hour waiting to heal or fill focus... If I were trying to squeeze every second out of the time I'm playing for grinding, maybe I'd care.

Personally, I don't worry about XP gain at all and am not sure why others do. I'm not worried about decay because over the course of playing I'll always be earning more XP than I ever lose when I die, and its always a net gain. I've already got my skills to a decent level, one or two at GM, and anything over GM is just gratuitous IMO. I'm not sure why I should worry about pushing my skills up faster. Yet, I have a sidebar telling me how far a skill is approaching 69 from 68, and I'm not sure why I should care about the difference between 69 and 68. And if I were ever to drop below a certain XP, I got a huge Low XP icon telling me I'm doing something wrong.

Is min-maxing really what the game is about?

Its not what motivates me.

It's one of the reasons the +25% PvP bonus doesn't motivate me, either. I'm actually not afraid of dying in PvP, because paying back a ransom is pretty easy. But I don't see the point of getting into fights -- the thrill of getting into random fights when I'm doing something else isn't that interesting to me -- and am wondering why I should care about the +25% XP.

mercster and Budner like this.
  12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Conveniently forgetting that PVP death doesn't trigger decay?

The game is supposed to consensual PVP, to me that means only those that want to participate in PVP are involved in PVP, not those that want something that isn't PVP, but requires you flag for PVP, are involved in PVP. Calling that consensual reeks of "Well, she accepted the invitation, she knew what she was getting into ...". It isn't a matter of forced or not, clearly no one is forcing PVEs to flag, the problem those players that only flag when the 25% bonus is added, most of them don't want to be involved in PVP, that's why they weren't already flagged.

13. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

My number one advice for everyone who is weary of pvp. This is more times than not ones lack of knowing what is coming in a non pvp zone. (if you are flagged)

On your number pad press . (the del key)

when you see a new -?- appear, that is a pk and you have so much time to hide and prepare.

Honestly, there is so many ways to avoid dying, but since this is a player taught game, the forums suffice.

I remember spending 30 minutes in deeps ravens wood looking for 3 pks who were also Invisible, then we all left the zone with no pvp. That was 150,000 exp in times wasted

My pve friends, us pvpers do not have an enormous advantage, unless we are talking about the founder elites, but they deserve that power.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Numa, MrBlight and Crowquills like this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Reading this thread reminds me why i love Games that are about real skills.

He ouplayed me. Done.

Vrunk Hrrk, Numa and Budner like this.
  15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

You should try dying a few times in PVP before passing such a severe judgment - I'd say chances are pretty good you have nothing but conjecture to base your argument on... try it out - stop spreading bile and just let people enjoy the game for a change.

It's not all roses - but it's still a lot fun.

Audacity and valor like this.
  16. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I love the Overwatch Exp and Leveling.

Even so it does not change anything! and exp points are meaningless players are very focused on getting a higher level to show off.

And players truly believe that higher level means better player presuming that the longer you play the better you are and complain about matchmaking.
    ( i rofl on that)
    So even if leveling and exp do nothing players find some reason to
    Complain. Lol

Weins201 likes this.
  17. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I get death decay all the time in pvp. Agreed. Liked post.

Duke Avery likes this.
  18. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

The Truth is.

It is easy to roleplay a skillful Hero as long as the game does not force you to compete with others.
    But the moment the Game forces your level 100 Duke of the Glowing Stone to have a reality check and get killed over and over from a level 50 player it kind a makes it hard to keep up the illusion of your roleplay.

Numa and Duke Avery like this.
  19. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

The mic should have been dropped after this^

/mic drop

20. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

CHAIN LIGHTNING! CHAIN LIGHTNING! CHAIN LIGHTNING! Aimed shot... gf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.