Time to rethink archery?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by High Baron O`Sullivan, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

No worries, I was just giving you a hard time. :D

Jatvardur likes this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If you were going to go up against archers in chain mail then you'd have a gambeson underneath and leather on outside.
    The difference in penetration is dramatic.
    People tend to forget that the most common weapon throughout is the spear. If mail was only used against cuts and not against penetration they would be mostly useless. Since they were highly appreciated, it would be illogical for them not to optimize against penetration.

In such a modern setting as SotA no rings would be unbound, just wouldn't happen. At the very least we are talking riveted chain mail, but more probably welded.
    Saxons, Norsemen and their descendants Normands (so throughout British history) one would see riveted and for the truly exclusive a riveted + welded combo (typically every other row). It would be a waste of all of that expensive iron/Steele and work not to rivet the mail. The only place we find unbound mail in numbers in archeology is Far East Asia.

Then someone who talks about how far you draw when running and doing speed shooting is simply sour grapes. What you should be thinking is a woodsman hunting smaller pray like birds, rabbits and such in thick forest. Then you really need to run and quick fire at the same time. It's like when people talk about slings and power.

In a typical battlefield before firearms the majority of your enemy would not wear metal armor.
    It's only at longer range or for real penetration you'd want a full draw.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Isn't that kinda what I said?... sort of.. eventually.. :)

Tahru likes this.
  5. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I note that he, too, is placing the arrow on the right side of the bow... Interesting.

High Baron O`Sullivan and Tahru like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

On Friday I didn't notice anyone saying, "This is how SOTA archery should be!"

Tahru likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

FYI it is impossible to split an arrow with another arrow. It cannot be done. Mythbusters clearly exposed that. LoL

Spliting an arrow myth

Tahru likes this.
  8. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

My comment doesn't change the content of the video (recall: "I though the video was silly"), but anyway... it should be taken as (moderately) tongue in cheek. Admittedly that wasn't so clear from my post. I think there are lessons to be taken from a guy who has researched archery in war, and looks to have dispelled some myths that we see in Holywood. The tricks / stunts I leave to Portalarium to decide what they think is appropriate.

So what's the magic then in the OP? Video editing?

Tahru likes this.
  9. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Composite arrows are used in the video. Splitting a wood shaft arrow completely are impossible due the how the wood is grained.

Tahru and Jatvardur like this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

In a last hangout there was a question about wands and staves. The response form Star was that wands and staves are meant to be auto-attack weapons like bows for an archer. I may be reading to much into it, but that suggests to me that low-power arrows would be of an infinite supply.

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

:\

:/

:\

:/

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Nothing about that statement suggests any of those items have unlimited ammo. Wands and staves in Ultima never did either. They had a limited amount of charges.

Tahru likes this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That is where having some history with Ultima may be helpful. In the games I played, auto-attack is never ending and low-powered.

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well auto attack so far seems low powered and we'll just have to see what they do with it as I don't believe they'd said specifically.. but I'm very much against unlimited ammo for anything other than a seriously epic magic bow. The only weapon in Ultima that did unlimited ammo was in the dream world in Gorlab (SI). But then.. dream world..

Tahru likes this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Bowen, well since U5, which is when ammo appeared in the game as I remember. Though who needs bows when you have magic axes that can fly anywhere and return to you :D

Bowen Bloodgood and Tahru like this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well ok if you want to get technical.. after UV :) and I guess maybe blow guns from Savage Empire.. and boomerangs.. don't forget boomerangs. :) Ok ok.. black rods in SE had unlimited ammo err charges.. whatever. :p but different world so it shouldn't count. :)

Tahru likes this.
  17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Yes, bigger bows with higher draws would give more power, No, he's not drawing big slow hits, but speaking as someone who provides care FOR the injuries described... One shot, with two inches of penetration, would be enough to cause a wound that would EVENTUALLY bleed you out, and four inches would be enough to penetrate a vital organ. As for "bouncing off leather armor".... no, dude. Attacks don't bounce off of leather armor. Even wax hardened, brigandine reinforced, layered leather plate (at which point, factoring protection for weight, you might as well switch to steel plate, it's more expensive but would be lighter than three inch thick leather and copper) doesn't cause incoming attacks to bounce. And most every armor has holes, unprotected areas at joints where there is little or no protection. This exemplary archer has proven that moving at speed he can accurately hit tiny moving targets. I daresay he'd do JUST FINE with the bows and techniques shown against leather armor.

Full plate with tower shield, maybe not so much. Full plate and shield on heavy horse with barding... That's why new weapons were invented to deal with horse, rather than just fielding archers.

Of course, this kind of thing should be MURDER on a cloth wearing spellcaster...

Jatvardur likes this.
  18. High Baron O`Sullivan

Great post, and very legit points.

MalakBrightpalm and Tahru like this.
  19. High Baron O`Sullivan

Apparently the ancients had it all figured out.

20. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Indeed. Of course, when the bow is the most advanced weapon you have, and hundreds of millions of people are trying to master it, in life and death conditions, I bet some real masters emerged.

Kinda like the way modern assault rifles have developed. They, and the techniques used with them, look very little like the old ball and powder muskets that so violently displaced bows.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.