Time to rethink archery?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by High Baron O`Sullivan, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

American Sniper = Britannian Archer

Tahru, Isaiah and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

so he is alive and well in the world of New Britannia? I've heard that people from our world were being transported to this New Britannia place. I've been doing resarch in the dark parts of the internet and it feels like this world is calling to me too. I'm being drawn, and I feel more and more complelled to find out about this place. More and more and more OH MY GOD MAN!!! What is happening to me!!!...... . .aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ZAP

High Baron O`Sullivan and Tahru like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Who is the better archer, Iolo or Tseramed

Tahru likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

EyeOlo is older. I think he should know more stuff. Besides in the good ol days who needs a bow when there are magic axes.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The Mongols just wore silk so they could pull arrows out and keep moving heh.

Tahru likes this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

That and I wouldn't bet against anyone while they had "Stones" playing on their New Britannian headphones.

Isaiah and ThurisazSheol like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Stones on the headphones... totally righteous dude!

[​IMG]

Tahru likes this.
  8. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

This video is a serious game changer for me, my love for archery has been reignited!

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

So whether or not this is entirely real video or or remastered to look real, there are two good points I saw that seem very true.

1. arrows can be quite effective in close range.
    2. rapid shot is realistic when having arrows held in your shooting hand, shot from the right side of the bow.

Tahru and Etheom like this.
  10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

point 2, that should be in the skill tree...you get that, your toon starts holding them properly..or if they revert to (hopefully) a better skill system where you get better at X when you do X, get it when you hit journeyman level.

not really gonna address point 1, no brainer really. all in how you handle the draw, really.

11. High Baron O`Sullivan

I agree entirely. I hope to see some of these tactics included in SotA archery.

P.S. Thanks for merging the duplicate threads Portalarium :D

Isaiah and Tahru like this.
  12. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yep I agree.. though the problem is not close range but point-blank range, because it should be easy for someone attacking you to completely disrupt what you're doing.

Isaiah, Tahru and Moonshadow like this.
  14. High Baron O`Sullivan

Couldn't an archer then use said arrows as a stabbing device? I would imagine a well placed arrow to the face or knee would end the point blank combat very quickly.

Tahru likes this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This little excerpt pretty much sums up the tone of that article.

16. High Baron O`Sullivan

"Jim MacQuarrie is a comics and animation geek, a professional cartoonist and graphic designer, professional balloon animal twister, a certified archery instructor (and yes, his arrows are green), former homeless person and occasional gadfly."

Sounds like MacQuarrie has no credibility to make any claims himself. I wouldn't consider a part time "archery trainer" as the go to for all things archery related. He actually sounds a little butthurt TBH. I used to teach Kendo (certified) at a school here in NC and I would never think to discredit a fellow swordsman's techniques because I have a certification. I think Mr. Geekdad should stick to being a keyboard archer.

Tahru likes this.
  17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I would think this would be what the person would be forced to do, but it wouldn't be very effective. It might be better to drop the three arrows in his hand and quickly pull out a dagger.

I think the brittle arrow shaft might make the arrow not so good of a stabbing weapon against armor, and they are too light to be used to parry anything. Once a person grabs a hold of the bow there needs to be a secondary tactic.

However we ought not get too complex here and try to keep it simple, so that we can let our minds fill in the blanks. If we are right next to the guy we should get a message saying something like, "Your opponent has interrupted your shot".... simple, to the point, and in this case it gives our imagination room to speculate how the person interrupted our shot.

In this particular case I think something simple like that is better than saying you need to switch decks to use your dagger skills. LoL I know nobody is proposing that, but I've been thinking lately that it is best to focus on giving detail where it is needed, and try to find out places where our brains will supply the detail. Wherever it is better for the brain to supply the detail is probably a good place let it.

A bad example would be to say "There is a castle there" but we can't see it. We need the detail on the castle. ALthough do we need every mechanical detail in every intricate movement of combat? Probably not, and in other places maybe we do.

High Baron O`Sullivan and Tahru like this.
  18. Sofiamia

Sofiamia Avatar

I want to try an archer as well. On UO I have a supply of 120k+ arrows sitting at my house but on this game arrows are much more precious. I suppose that's more like the real world but running out of ammunition in the middle of a fight is no fun. My son, who also plays, has an archer/mage combo which seems to work out very well.

Tahru likes this.
  19. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Avatar

Epic

Tahru likes this.
  20. Darian

Darian Guest

1) Will not happen. Archers where deadly in ancient times and a lot of archers where very lethal. With PvP and so on, you would be either archer or target.
    2) Even in PvE in games Archers are nerfed so good they are 3rd class (Or everyone would be archer and each mob dead before coming even close.)

3) I would love to see it but look above.
    4) All the guys in shiny armor would whine up an storm here if an puny archer in cloth and leather does them in without blinking an eye. So see above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.