Topic...Cannibals ....where would they be or who would they be?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by EmperorBorg, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Ohhh you sound like a nice healthy body! Cant wait to see you on the battlefield, and then on my table muhahahahah! :) (J/k) of course

Harmony2 likes this.
  2. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Right on brother.

Harmony2 likes this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

Well, I'm treating goods made from human body parts as a class of illicit goods. I'm also hoping we have fences for stolen goods. So it all goes under the same category of non-virtuous transactions. So in that sense, there is no explicit opt-in / opt-out mechanic in some UI or anything. You simply perform the act and have to be on good terms with these illicit goods dealers. Regarding POTs, again, there is no explicit opt-in like there is with a PvP checkbox at town creation submission. POTs will simply roleplay this aspect and either will or won't include illicit goods NPC vendors. Like, you're not going to go into a POT and be prompted with "Are you sure you want to enter, this town is evil!". Yeah, that doesn't work.

Nah, it's simply an attribute of the vendor and NPCs. It's a well-used mechanic in just about every RPG, such as there are with regular traders and illicit goods traders. How does any NPC know you're dealing with stolen goods? They wouldn't, but it's present in every game. Same as with being caught by guards. They somehow also magically know. Sure, those aren't great examples but just saying the precedent has been set in the genre. But if you want to go with established lore, it has been said that every NPC on Novia can sense your karma/virtue score --- not just the Oracle (who also sees every action). But most NPCs choose to ignore it, since they don't care for outlanders regardless. Some might, and even seek you out for something, good or bad.

I don't think that's necessary. I don't believe they're going to show this in any way -- at least between players. The way it will work is you both have to be in PvP and if you win, you get to loot a body part as part of the Trophy mechanic. They've already said that is a non-negotiable thing that isn't ever going away. However, the loser can pay to not have that happen. So there's no visible / gratuitous acts here. The body part simply shows up in your inventory, the player is dead and sees wisps for everything anyways, etc. Now, what you do with that body part is up to you and the loser never knows or sees.

Harmony2 likes this.
  4. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

In Ultima Online, we had the ability to cut a person apart, separating the limbs and the head from the torso. It was fun to collect pkr's heads to display at my house, or collect limbs to use as decoration in my dungeon. . . maybe we can have the same in SOTA and the limbs or torso can be a consumable that give you some type of buff. .or de-buff. It would need to decrease your virtue in the eyes of the oracle obviously. .I like the idea of them being used as ingredients in another dish too. Maybe there can be special consumables you can buy or trade for only in the "cannibal town." Maybe they will trade you these consumables for weapons like spears . .or poles and spear heads. . Or they could be loot from killing "cannibals."

Harmony2 and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  5. EmperorBorg

EmperorBorg Avatar

My good fellow Shroud of the Avatar supporters.....

THANK YOU for a great discussion on this topic.
    I say this from 2 points of view...
    A) I worked on Savages and Orc Tribes in UO and had a blast creating the fiction behind the various tribes and then the emergence of new Orc Archers and Bruisers.....so I know first hand there is fun to be had with them.
    and
    MORE IMPORTANTLY
    B) I support our Lord British and Dark Starr's curiosities....each different than "their personas"...and will assist in making their gaming dreams come true as they work to make our gaming dreams come true.

In this clip see how the two react to Cannibalistic or cutting up of enemies in PVP for use later in game....

Enjoy Lord British and Dark Star react to Cannibalism

Soon after in the video....Richard actually gets parts for his "interesting" Christmas celebration....shrunken heads etc. yes he opens it on video.

Harmony2 and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would point out that in UO the features in question were ultimately removed fairly early on.

7. EmperorBorg

EmperorBorg Avatar

Yes....the vile EA Empire did do that against Lord British's wishes....and sadly soon vanquished the Lord completely, leaving Lord Blackthorn (Dark Starr) to stand alone against the insidious and unrelenting might of the EA Empire and its suits of PC Correctness. (hehehe) :cool:

Harmony2 likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well that's one way to spin it. Given that they let it past beta one might also suggest they were responding to player reactions much in the same way they did with non-consentual PvP.

9. EmperorBorg

EmperorBorg Avatar

EA was not part of OSI at the beginning of UO (when the Dream Team had full power and design authority)....EA flexing its muscle was the era of beating up the ROYAL Creators (LB and LB) in one fashion or another, trashing and destroying the community progress....including developing the odd McFarlane world of UO things.....but that whole issue is an UO issue m'Lord Bowen Bloodgood.

There are more important issues for us to attend in this land indeed.
    I look forward to your July 4th Celebrations.

Be well and may your lands prosper.

Harmony2 and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

A switch to prevent your body from being eaten... very roleplay like, yes of course...

I'm sure every NPC has his dish testing kit much in the same way every good man tests his pool water before inviting guests over.

Hmm let me see, this boudin has 10% human blood in it, sorry I can't sell it.

This bone marrow soufflé has too much human bones in it sorry...

Every NPC is a psychic that knows your virtue and karma... yes.

Makes me want to roleplay !

Whats a paladin ?

Harmony2 likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

They moved the topic out of the main forum... not very PG-13 our game is officially family friendly :p

Harmony2 likes this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

EA had bought Origin before UO was even concieved. Though the point is.. someone made the decision to remove cannibalism and carving up bodies for a reason. One should not assume that everyone shares the same interest in it. Nor is the fact that it was at one time part of UO mean it's a good fit for SotA. The same would be true of any other feature in any other game. SotA is its own beast.

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That dosen't change anything to what he said :p

Harmony2 likes this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Except what he said was technically wrong. EA wasn't part of OSI.. OSI was owned by EA before the beginning of UO.

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Because they owned it dosen't mean they had direct total control over it, get your logic right :p It happens often that big companies buy dev studios but they still let them have control over the games they do, until... EA got a very interesting offer from the RMT market...

Thats when they took control, I know I lived it first hand.

Harmony2 likes this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

EA paid for it.. they pushed it out the door early before it was ready.. you can't assume they were completely hands off. You wouldn't know unless you worked for them or at Origin. All of which is besides the point which is maybe carving people up and cannibalizing them isn't as popular and some people would like to think.

17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I did work for EA... not particularly proud of it... and of course they rushed U9 and gave deadlines for UO... thats why they bought it.

Because they didn't have total control over it dosen't mean they had NO control over it... there wasn't a grinch trying to ruin all the artistic and gameplay liberty of the devs until the game became profitable in more than monthly subscription.

I really have to explain this logic to you.. its not really besides the point.

Our game obviously needs to uphold status quo in order to be "profitable"... is it really necessary to make it an anti-thesis to art ?

I hope not...

Harmony2 likes this.
  18. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I don't get it. If you remove body parts from a conquered foe, apparently a dead one, do the body parts remain after the poor soul resurrects? If they do, then I cannot see how this is good RP. I mean if the parts remain, could the victim return to eat his own parts? Could you gain weight by eating your own parts? The whole thing makes no sense to me unless the cut up person never returns. Now if cannibalism only occurs as players eating NPC humans, it can make sense. The NPC consumed though would have to be unique. We kill animals to eat them, but essentially they are not unique beings and so the stigma is not there. Cannibalism requires killing a unique being, and utilizing the parts for unique purposes. I mean if eating your friend's ear to enhance your hearing and he resurrects, you could kill him over and over as the enhanced hearing wears off..... What is the point?

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hehe you make a good point by asking whats the point.

The point is... fun :)

What you describe is dubbed super hardcore roleplaying, and well I'm not really an extremist like that :p

What I don't like either is ANTI-super-duper-hardcore-roleplaying :D

Harmony2 likes this.
  20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    That would be awesome if they resurrected missing an arm or a leg! Try not to think to deep about what should be and should not be as you will find many flaws in many ways. How can you shoot flames out of your fingers? How can you bend time and space to zone? Its not even a spell. How can you die and resurrect repeatedly? Just have fun with things and Ideas. How are you able to see the number of deaths in a pvp zone, the leader board definitely must be some kind of god keeping track and keeping us informed as it keeps these names and numbers updated right in front of our faces? How can we carry a flaming sword in our backpack without it burning it and you? How come when you skin a wolf you can get more than one hide?

Harmony2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.