Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Dollars... for mounts in episode 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

They never said they would be part of Episode 2. They said they will all be implemented eventually, but the stretch goal would get them done sooner.

I'll wait to see what they add. If goals are competing with each other, I'll skip these as it won't make any difference.

2. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

That is truly disappointing. I am a business major and the one thing you never want to do is not deliver when your customers are paying for a service. Regardless if there is a perception that someone wants something or not, if they paid the money for it, they should get what they paid for. You wouldn't sell things out of a grocery store and after they paid for it say, it doesn't really seem like you want this sir, I'll put it back until I think you REALLY want it. Now, if the game was not ready for it, that is understandable, but at least give a better explanation than "you guys didn't want it enough". Not good. I still support them 100%, but there really are some things that could improve on their part in the way they address us. Though it's a game and a community and some of the players are actual friends with the devs, the rest of us are not close with them like that. So there is still a need to have customer service skills. Also, someone please for the love of all that is holy buy them microphones for the livestreams! Don't forget about those who have older ears and can't hear very well, or at least include closed captioning. There is someone in the game who is deaf and I'm sure they'd appreciate subtitles.

Ronni, Stella Moon and Bigg like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Also a suggestion.

Since building up the quality of stables, step by step, to Lord of the Manor level, as fit for a castle, is a possibility, one idea is to create stretch goal "bundles" that would function the same as Kickstarter pledges, and work the same way as the game access bundles.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Horse troughs...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aeryk and majoria70 like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

I hope eventually they develop a paperdoll system for pets and hirelings.

For mounts, this would include not only barding but other horse accoutrements ranging from saddlebags to heraldic blankets to ornamented bridles.

[​IMG]

Still think it would be cool too for human "pets" like servants, and humanoid pets like imps to be able to carry around things like lanterns/torches and play lutes and so on, even if they're not combat pets.

majoria70, Aeryk, Tiina Onir and 2 others like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, this is a continuation of the first one and all the money from the first one has been applied to this one.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, except, you know, that's not really what happened.

What happened was that there were items for sale, that players knew ahead of time would not act as mounts, that were for an optional stretch goal that, IF HIT, key word IF, would become mounts.

Then when they re-instated this they started us off with the money already put in for this goal.

Also, all of this is 100 percent optional, it's not required, there is a great Latin saying that applies in this case called "Caveat Emptor"

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

I would personally like to see more than 3 npcs placable per property. I have alot of pets I can't use because of that restriction. Even bumping it up to 5 would be great.

And redfish, that potable water doesn't look particulary hygenic there. Grotty old basin from 1790 looks like...

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Here's something else we'll need:
    Horseshoes.

Maybe make the horses go faster, or reduce fatigue, or whatever.

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Like others, I dont get the whole "mount" thing in this game. For use on the novia map? I have a fleet flute now, I never really spend more then a minute on the main map. Makes me just think its being pressed by the usual crowd that have the dev's ears (dance party... aka social RP people).

How about they do something that will actually bring in people to play this kind of game...

$250,000: a new "super dungeon" which scales to level and dynamically changes every time you go in it.

11. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I apparently have no idea how much it costs to develop a game. All of the early forum arguments were proved right on me "You just don't understand the development process and how much it costs to do so".

Bubonic likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

What a weird comment Starmann; I'm guessing most people who want mounts are old-time Ultima fans who expect it to play like Ultima, which had mounts, too. Including a lot of single-player fans. Myself, I find it kind of tedious that on the one hand there are people who say we need runebooks, because the OW is so slow and it takes forever to get everywhere, and the way to get players is to allow them to teleport everywhere with runebooks, and then there are people who say eh we don't need mounts because the OW is so easy and fast.

Anyway, I don't think there will be any single new feature they could add to bring people in to play the game. Make the game less about grinding/farming content and socializing. Make it more like a classic RPG, that will bring more people to play. Just IMO. And also satisfy Kickstarter backers. You know not only mounts were an original item in the stretch goal store, to which people already contributed money, but they were also an early post-Kickstarter stretch goal that just fell short of being funded by the deadline.

There will be a lot of new things being added to Ep2 that will not be stretchgoals, but main content. My guess is they view it like you, also, that mounts are inessential, and that's why they created a stretch goal for them.

(Note that OW speeds can always be rebalanced).

Stundorn, Ronni, Brent S and 3 others like this.
  13. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Exactly.

Yup. Pretty much.

So $250K for mounts so we can do... what with them, exactly? Buy more vanity items to decorate our mounts and ride them to dance parties? Teleport around with them using our extensive "friends" list just like we've always done?

Are we talking about mounted combat? And if so- is it a fully-functioning mounted combat system, or one of those "we just threw some placeholder code in there real quick, and then will proceed to behave dismissively to backers who aren't **polite** enough when pointing out the new system they just paid out the ears for is janky as hell"?

At this point, why don't we just dispense with the pretense? $250K is going to keep the lights on for X number of months. Huzzah!

Boris Mondragon, Mykll and Cordelayne like this.
  14. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Do horses come with durability? Say you overload one by your 150% capacity, does it take a durability hit until your vet skill ‘repairs’ it?

Does this include the animal husbandry development to breed new horses?

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Mounts made sense in UO with its MASSIVE landmass which when I played was the entire map period (no instancing).

I use the OW for everything in SOTA, I used probably 5 teleport scrolls starting on release up to when Tears came out (now I rapid port). With a fleet flute, I can get anywhere on the map in a minute or two.

I have nothing against the mounts, just that there is so many different things that would add far more value.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

@2112Starman

Mounts were also in the early Ultima games which had dual-scale maps like the OW in Shroud. They weren't necessary, they just were nice to have because it was faster, plus could outrun enemies. Remember, too, in SotA speeds and buffs can be adjusted. And eventually PvP encounters on the OW might be a thing. I think when people consider added content, they should look at what the big picture could be, and not consider the game "as it is now."

Anyway, I would personally also want some procedural generated content, but more than "one" dungeon. Make it a part of the treasure map system. A treasure map leads you to a procedural generated dungeon. They're planning a treasure system, its not in question. How procedurally generated they are is up to the devs, I know the various devs have differing opinions on this.

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

I mean not everyone is g0nna be interested in mounts, but I am. I want my horsie !

twofoldsilence likes this.
  18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

True, but at the same time, asking for $250k for something that might eventually be super useful and desirable seems like a poor plan.

19. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

If you had to choose between getting existing systems working correctly, and your horsie, which would you choose?

I hope it's not forbidden to point out that a combination of shrinking active player base, shrinking telethon donations, and shrinking staff might be suggestive that fixing the existing game, and adding sweeping new features, could be somewhat mutually exclusive goals.

Stundorn, Gorthyn, Gregg247 and 3 others like this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

+13 meteoric iron horseshoes of forum troll baiting

Boris Mondragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.