Unlocking SOTA's Potential with PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Maghetti, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramrodicus

Ramrodicus Avatar

bring back uo style PvP!

Abydos, Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's not going to happen. Not in Shroud of the Avatar.

Sorry, but you're not going to get your wish.

In the words of Scott Jennings (a.k.a. Lum the Mad) in his article "The Unbearable Darkness of Ultima Online":

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. Ramrodicus

Ramrodicus Avatar

What if I have cancer and the Make-a-wish foundation visits me?

Armar and Time Lord like this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's ok.
    But we are still missing meaningfull pvp.
    Just sayin'.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Ramrodicus

Ramrodicus Avatar

maybe add areas with certain resources that are heavy pvp where the resulting crafted item gives pvp enhanced bonuses of some type? that way its highly contested and special for pvp'ers and if a pvp'er wants to sell the item to a non-pvper (for glamour purposes or whatever) then they can? And, likewise, implement a mirror system for just pve'ers?

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

They need to add à new island on the map full PvP with better ressource and monster . Like a bucanner deen but more big with farming zone , quest , npc town , mines etc.. all PvP.

Abydos and Time Lord like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

During the telethon, @DarkStarr announced the creation of a PvP+ NPC Town modeled after Bucaneer's Den from UO.

Wish granted.

Time Lord and Acred like this.
  8. Acred

Acred Avatar

My avatar has had an extended conversation with Maghetti in Soltown a few days ago. You are a gentleman, Sir, and you have a fine sense of fashion, even if it does not extend to Royal Purple cloaks. :D

I've read this whole thread and hope that ideas such as yours and @Ravicus Domdred 's get attention and that the PvP players get many of the things you propose.

For myself? I do not trust in the swiftness of any guards in a scene and know that the baggage I bring with me from over the Rift would make my continually being flagged PvP a very negative (personal) choice. I would not have invested money, nor over 2 years of near daily play and testing in SotA, if PvP were not consensual.

I agree on many points with @Baalice and will not say "never" because there are moments when I might flag to heal people in a group whose struggle I support. It is much more likely that I would support efforts of some faction with agriculture or alchemy. The @Time Lord has a good idea how this could be put in effect. Maybe you should meet up with him, @Maghetti ? Talk about RP! :)

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ellowship-has-arrived-in-new-britannia.59144/

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~'The Fellowship'~
    [​IMG]
    ~Was Here and You will Hear From Us~
    [​IMG]
    *leaves the blood stained note behind*

~Nystal~

New Britannia, soon all will be singing to the goodness :cool: of our New Britannia Cult'olicious flavor...
    ~Nystal~

Acred likes this.
  10. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

They could just introduce a version of Multiplayer mode called something like Multiplayer Open PVP. It would be the same as entering multiplayer mode, but everyone is automatically flagged for PVP and any consequences it brings. This way PVP players could get the open PVP that they desire, and non-PVP players are never forced into PVP unless they choose to enter this form of online mode.

Krohon and Time Lord like this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Again, an idea that's been debated for 3+ years. This is another variation on the "Siege Perilous" proposal, or effectively re-creating the Felucca/Trammel split which is widely decried by the PvP community as the death of UO.

To date the Developers seem to be unwilling to split the community along these lines.

Krohon and Time Lord like this.
  12. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

Yeah whats i was speaking is more like a island , maybe like the size of hidden vale . With different zones and towns. But yeah im still very happy about this npc-pvp town ;)

Krohon, Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Ahh, yes! SP Shard :cool: I always have fond memories of "The Fellowship" (TFS) Who were not only it's largest Order Guild, Within that SP Shard's first year, it took the combining of the 5 largest Chaos Guilds to have ever defeated us...
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ellowship-has-arrived-in-new-britannia.59144/ "Here in SOTA, it's not just a guild, it's every PvP Guild's ticket to a much larger PvP New Britannia! :cool:
    ~We're working hard "For You!"~
    UO Hamlet of The Fellowship SP Shard!

~Nystal~

Krohon and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Uo style combat could happen within the confines of the guild warfare proposal i made. Imagine consentual warfare under rules of engagement that would let you set the looting rights under consentual agreement. Now combine this with an alliance system and you could technically have a seige perilous world. Also combine this with factions or a chaos/order system and bam! Lots of pvp baby!

15. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Factions, big PvP zone with Hight Risk Rewards, Multi PvP Online mode are all good idea in my point of view.

Krohon, Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  16. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

Why thank you :). For me the guards are more for the immersion factor. It just helps bring the world to life. They could do something along the lines of a programs detection radius for guards, maybe even for non guard NPCs(as if they call for a guard when they see something), and if crime is detected you get a pop up and then a load screen. Meaning the guards not need to physically run over and catch you.

My big picture concern is pvp just not getting enough love and attention. I have my ideas, other people have theirs, I just want pvp to be given proper attention and not treated as an after thought. Because the longer it is treated as one the more intrusive it becomes to make changes to accommodate pvp. It didn't take long for me to see that it needed a lot of work. Stealing is very weak and super broken. The item buy back system is super broken. The game can't properly gage the value of items. ore and ingots can be bought back for a fraction of their actual value, for an example. The only safe zone for a pvp enabled person is the world map, removing most RP from pvp and just making everything a chaotic war zone. Even the pvp zones I have been to are glorified battle grounds. It just seems like an after thought and in need of a lot of work compared to many other areas of the game.

Btw the purple cloak is quite stylish, it just doesn't go with brown epic leather armor. It isn't about the individual piece but about how you combine them :). I am from the Dark Souls community and we take our fashion very seriously :).

Time Lord, Acred and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  17. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

I find the idea of two sides having to agree to fight a war a bit silly and immersion breaking. With that said your loot system idea is a good one to be sure. I would go a bit further though. I would like to see guilds themselves be pvp enabled or disabled. If a guild is pvp enabled they can declare war or be declared on at will, with the exception of declaring on pvp disabled guilds, who would have to consent.

I played an online game called Neveron for 12 years. A big part of that game was the political interplay of different factions and alliances. The game has such a deep history books have been written on it, and it was entirely unscripted story generated by players interacting with each other. I think something similar could be done in this game with the interplay of guilds competing. Taking "claim" the certain territories, economic business rivalries, all out wars, and more. There is a LOT of potential here I would like to see explored.

18. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Ah! Sure it would, but you will have to wait for more people plays it this way. Also, as soon as current players masters PvM, they will more willing to enter PvP.

19. Hawkshield

Hawkshield Avatar

20. golruul

golruul Avatar

My post referred to the full, unrestricted PVP advocates; I'm fine with the current, live PVP system.

Time Lord and Acred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.