Unlocking SOTA's Potential with PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Maghetti, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And there are MANY who do not wish to be pulled into someone else's game at the time of Their choosing.
    It is most likely (I assume) fun for the attacker, and at least in many cases not for the victim. Consent protects those who do not wish to participate from those who would prey on them.

There is nothing new in this post that hasn't been repeated ad infinitum over the last three years. All of this has been throughly debated.

PvP is getting more attention now. PvP is now getting many of the things they have been asking for (rightly) for a long time.

You are, of course, a being with free will, living in a free society. You have every right to express your opinion. Please feel free to do so, and make any suggestion that doesn't violate the tenet of consent. I will support it. I will also vehemently oppose any suggestion that violates that tenet.

Time Lord, Acred, Womby and 2 others like this.
  2. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

I am always glad for a level-headed PVP response. You can count on Ravicus for that. It's the whole two different lenses thing. It's PvP optional.

I also get where Rufus is coming from to say that he is 'cut off' from certain parts of the map. It's self-imposed, sure. The response will always be that no one is keeping you out and PVP is consensual and all that, but let's not be cute, if I never want to be PVP at all, Shardfalls are a no go. Someone who doesn't mind flagging can go anywhere. The point of contention is there. Not being cut off, but making it so I won't go there either. Same difference.

Time Lord, Acred and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ty for saving me more points :rolleyes:

Time Lord and Acred like this.
  4. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

Yes, this. Ultimately I am not wanting to force people to come into a zone where anyone can be attacked or stolen from. My real goal was to have zones with things you couldn't get unless you were willing to risk PVP. Like a forced PVP zone that has a type of wood you can only get there. An incentive to take the risk. These zones are more of the chaos PVP variety though and not really the most important thing to me.

5. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

You're also gonna have an uphill battle with unique resources too, I think. Even obsidian chips that are fairly exclusive to Shardfalls can be gotten in PVE, just not as readily. I could be wrong but I believe it was mentioned there would be no exclusive resources to PVP zones. Anyone?

I mean, sure, I'm not forced to go there and can pay for them through someone's vendor but again, you're not really giving me any other choice in practice.

6. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

It sounds like you are against creating incentives for PVP, like my idea of a type of wood you can only get in a PVP area. You want literally the entire game open to you with no restrictions.

Also, it is not a no go. You can hire people. Body guards. That sounds super RP to me. Maybe you want some of that rare wood but don't want to fight another player. You could pay people who are willing to fight to go with you. That sounds pretty cool to me personally.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You're describing a Shardfall, which already exist, and have drasticly higher spawn and drop rates of rare resources.
    Exclusive resources are another not-new idea that has been debated for a very long time, and rejected by the developers.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

this is why I made a thread about give and take. We all need to just give and take a bit. We need to concede a little bit of ground to at least help the game. We all want everything and we all are a bit greedy doing so. I am probably no different although I do try to understand the other side. The big picture is what I am after first and foremost really. But in order for us to all get along in the development process and for all of us to try to come together in some way takes effort on both sides. It is a must though that we do reach some kind of reasoning. :) @Baalice i find you a very reasonable and level headed person. I look forward to reading your posts :)

Time Lord, Acred and Baalice like this.
  9. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

It is just an example. But definitely something I support. I want there to be things in PVP areas you cannot get elsewhere. Or some reason to go to these places you cannot do elsewhere. Something that would make people on the fence willing to take the risk.

May I ask what you find so different about fighting another player versus fighting an in game enemy? In this game it doesn't seem particularly different to me.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  10. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

That's not true but again, you're coming from a different angle. To me, yes, I want no restrictions when it comes to having to participate in PVP. I'm simply not going into the Shardfalls. Everywhere else is optional. I'm not sure how I'm against creating incentives. Other than faction type warfare, I don't think you could possibly incentivize me to be PVP flagged just anywhere.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

AI Creatures don't hurl insults, cut up my corpse, shred my gear scattering it around the forest, and use emotes to pantomime defecating on my corpse, for one.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

that is not really applicable to this game though, although I do know what you are talking about. As far as the trash talk you can turn on your filter I think. There will always be jerks anywhere you go but you can at least block the text. As far as the emotes yes, it will happen, but you will not see it in this game, as a ghost you cannot see anything really. Again, in the past though this was possible, but not in this game so its kind of a moot argument.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

lol that is what I was thinking. I have been murdered a decent number of times in this game, by enemies and other people. So far I have had a lovely experience with several of those people inviting me to guilds and having friendly chats. And when you die you can't see anything but energy orbs. Though I am sure it is possible for people to still be jerks. Thing is, I have played many hundreds of hours of Dark Souls PVP. I have seen BM in every possible form and am pretty immune to it now. Even if Havel Moms haunt my dreams...

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No, it isn't, because SotA requires someone to consent to that treatment.

15. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

While PvP is not working the way you describe on the OP, there is a side way. Many resources rich areas are flagged PvP, that is, everyone that enters there is accepting PvP rules. It is too early to say how it will work, but ambition surely will drive grinders there.

16. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

That's a pretty open-ended question that's hard to answer easily. I mean, from experience, players will tend to use every advantage at their disposal when it comes to PVP. This can mean anything from the best gear, perfect build and even using in-game 'tricks', let's say, to make it easier to fight someone else. You ever have someone put you on follow and then rotate around you to gain flanking bonus really easy? Yea, that's annoying. It was a Dark Age of Camelot thing.

I'm not a competitive person by nature. Never have been, never will be. I don't like sports or games where you compete against your fellow players. I've always been drawn to solo activities or games where you cooperate against a common goal. That's probably the easiest answer for why I like PVE best.

Also, I've been gaming for thir... a long, long time and have become very laid back in my fun now. I used to be a power gamer and min/maxer but I just don't have the inclination for it anymore. I do my best to keep up with the rat race but I certainly play for me and not necessarily the best build/gear or whatnot. As a result, that puts me at a distinct disadvantage against other players who are totally on their game. I have zero interest going into an area where I'm constantly looking over my shoulder, too much stress for me personally.

Lastly, it doesn't just affect PVP. I don't raid anymore. You have to be near perfect to be 'good enough' for raiders. I've found them to be some of the worst types of players honestly. You better have that raid memorized or you'll get kicked the first time you do something 'wrong'. Plus, I don't want to be tied down for 6+ hours in one dungeon or something. Nothing at the end is worth it in my opinion. That is, if you don't wipe and have too many people leave or you realize you're one of like 10 mages rolling for loot and end up with nothing to show for it. *shudder* Not sure if it'll come to SotA, but count me out on that too.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  17. Maghetti

Maghetti Avatar

So does every game. There has never been a nonconsentual PVP fight in gaming history. You consent to it by choosing to play games that have PVP. Technically, if the devs did end the protection PVP would be a part of the game and you would be consenting to it by playing it. We just have different visions of what we want this game to be. Has nothing to do with consent or forcing people.

18. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Oh, yea... there's that. I must have mentally blocked that out. I love when I'd get steamrolled by a group in PVP and they'd all stand around gloating like I was some difficult target against 8 people. Yes, the emotes, taking your stuff you worked possibly weeks to get if you are a casual player and just vendoring it. Bad memories all around. Thanks, Rufus. Now I need my therapist again.

19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Exactly. Many people prefer cooperative play over competitive.

Time Lord, Acred and Baalice like this.
  20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you guys missed the part that in this game you will not see it? If by chance you did you can block the speech from them if you did? I am not saying your wrong but there is/are protections for this in game.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.