1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Vendor Variations & Improvements

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by DarkStarr, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

UPDATE Feb 9: We are going to be using patterns for visual variations so I've updated the post to reflect this. Using this system will keep the number of CF vendors exactly the same and provide the most visual options to every player. Also we have scrapped the "NEW" tab in favor of a "Date" column.

In Release 51 we will begin improving Player Vendors through a series of technical and visual improvements. The first thing we will try to improve is visual variation. Long term we plan to support customization of vendors via equipment choice but for now we are focusing on providing that visual variation through our pattern system.

These patterns will include a female version of the current vendor, a completely new outfit based on Victorian shopkeeper uniforms (with gender and skin tone variations), and a cash register that will act as a fully functioning player vendor (even though it does not appear as an NPC).

We are also moving player vendors to actual NPCs with AI behaviors (vs just being interfaces) so that they can animate, sit down, etc. (instead of being statues that are just interfaces). This will allow us to do things like have vendors who don't have inventory or haven't had any sales in a long time sit down as an example. This is part of a much larger (and VERY cool) tech task where npcs on lots and towns can now act independently of their owner. This is going to allow us to finally have pets move and behave when the owners isn't around instead of just being statues.

Finally we are also adding a new date column to the vendor UI so you can sort by the latest item added. This is just the first of many interface improvements that will be coming. Later we plan to do some major improvements to permissions and controls in vendors.

As part of all this we will be posting here some shots of these visual improvements as they are completed.

Merchant Cash Register & Pattern: This is a simple in-game commision charging version and will be available for purchase in-game in the same locations you can purchase in-game vendors now. You can also purchase the pattern to apply to any existing vendor (commision or commision free).
    [​IMG]

Ornate Cash Register & Pattern: This is an ornate commision charging version and will be available for purchase in the Add On Store. You can also purchase the pattern to apply to any existing vendor (commision or commision free).
    [​IMG]

Bundle Cash Register Pattern: This is a pattern that comes with bundles. Note that pledges that came with vendors will also receive one of these patterns.
    [​IMG]

Male Shopkeepers: These player vendor outfits are based on Victorian shopkeeper wear and early concept sketches Denis Loubet made. They come in several outfit colors and face options. In Release 52 we will get female shopkeepers as well based on similar concepts. (NEW: Feb 15)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/49037b71eb3948d98c11caa379ec8e1e

[​IMG]

Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/c4f4c0555a424d8ca87e393cdaa96823

[​IMG]
    Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/c8092311706d40bda84dc90b08409550

[​IMG]
    Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/c2eeedd81117412e94a3912b8dbf81c5

Female Player Vendors: These are female versions (including different faces and outfit color variations) of the original player vendor outfit with the fur collar.[​IMG]
    Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/c5db74e686884ca4a9af292f5ae1d2bf

[​IMG]
    Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/339ba2f58a11412fa200fe6325f81e2a

[​IMG]
    Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/a86dc9434df54e0e906f4bc6fc4853c0

Male Player Vendors: These are male versions (including different faces and outfit color variations) of the original player vendor outfit with the fur collar.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Female Shopkeepers (NEW 3/13): These player vendor outfits are based on Victorian shopkeeper wear and early concept sketches Denis Loubet made. They come in several outfit colors and face options.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/6913c15bf9a049d7847b5bf9c8f15f1b

[​IMG]
    Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/5e9a40de9b76496b949774f4e03ab35e

[​IMG]
    Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/8df520e429fd47689b598d27ef8c535b

[​IMG]
    Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/d0e4c309ab7843f7b85fcae15de5f4db

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Wow there are a lot of awesome updates coming out lately. Great work @DarkStarr and team! :D

Obsidian Tempest, Ancev, Lace and 2 others like this.
  3. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

well well - on to cashiers.. :D

4. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

Question

So if the new “interface” will be the cash register and not the vendor direct, and the new registers are given to bundle/pledge purchasers, what happens to those who bought/traded a vendor from other players?

Or is the vendor type still the new NPC proper and any cash register can be used to maintain it?

Lace, Dereck Visaard and Rentier like this.
  5. Curt

Curt Avatar

I believe everyone with a pledge/bundle that give a merchant ALSO will get the register
    So even if they traded away the merchant they will get the register

Kabalyero and Rentier like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Wow, sweet!

7. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

That was my question, does the cash register replace the vendor, or is there to stand in front of the vendor? So people with a commission free vendor will also get a cash register, does that mean they get two "vendors" or when placing a vendor, have to choose between the person or the cash register, or place both but only one "vendor" is active?

Chatele likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its a little weird for a customer to interact with a cash register in either case ;)

9. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

It's an additional option, not a replacement. Customers can interact with either the register OR the npc. If you wish to not have an NPC on your lot for your vendor you can have just the register or you can have both.

10. oplek

oplek Avatar

Nice

11. Evanna

Evanna Avatar

Will we be able to set npcs such as pets to not move around if we want.....I would find great enjoyment in seeing a static squirrel on a pedastool "manning" the cash register

Sentinel2 and Bow Vale like this.
  12. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

if this is an addition item @DarkStarr it does sound much like then players who sold their commission free or whatever will now gain a cash register..

Kabalyero likes this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Very Cool.

@DarkStarr, where in the plan is allowing the purchase of some number of items in a single stack as you can do with NPC Merchants?

For example... 1323 Tomatoes on a vendor priced at 5gp/tomato, and the vendor interface allows the purchase of 15 tomatoes for 75gp.

14. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

just woke up sorry for being dense.

I bought a bundle that came with a com free vendor long ago but I sold that vendor. so what does this mean for me?
    do I get the new register vendor to use as a com free vendor? or does it go to the person that currently owns the vendor.

just woke up again sorry.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

How will the Vendor and the Cash Register be 'paired'?
    Second question, will the Cash Register count as an NPC on the lot as the Vendor does?
    Question the Third, how far apart can the Vendor and the Cash Register be?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Chatele, Kain Darkmoor and Lained like this.
  16. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Curious about this as well, since I am assuming you aren't just (effectively) giving everyone an additional vendor? Or if you are that's great too.

nonaware likes this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

1. This will make a lot of ppl hsooyh

2. @DarkStarr the way I understand it is everybody who's account got a vendor will get one of those new items. The cash is a second vendor in the skin of a cash and is in no way connected to the original vendor. Amirite ?

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Hm. So if I bought a vendor off another player, I'm out of luck? Bummer.

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yes that's the way i understand it. The player who sold you a vendor will get the cash and not you. Which is, and i know that this might get a controversial topic, ok in my opinion.

Chatele likes this.
  20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Eh. Like I said, "bummer." Not something I'm going to get worked up over. It'd be cool if it could be picked up through the store, though, but only worked if you had a cf vendor.

So, is it not possible to have two vendors on a larger property? I've only ever put vendors on row lots, which only allow one. I assumed city or town lots could have more than one, but I don't know how the register would work then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.