1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Vendor Variations & Improvements

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by DarkStarr, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That's not going to happen. That would double the amount of vendors.

You will probably have to right click the cf vendor to gain access to the register. I'm just guessing of course.

2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Maybe each cf vendor has 3 settings?

1. Just vendor (like we have now)

2. Just cash register

3. Vendor + cash register (but they still only operate like 1 vendor, so they will use the same items)

And you could right click them while they're in your inventory to switch between the different options.

Lained likes this.
  3. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Is this new tech going to allow additional pets on our lot?

.. or will switching the vendor to a cash register open up an additional slot..?

.. or... both!?! o_O

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

This is probably counter to the current plans and reasons for the register, but I'd still prefer to see vendors and registers to have different functions; ie the register would superadd to the functionality of the vendor and wouldn't be useful on its own.

Imo.

Ghengis Khan and Rada Torment like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Maybe you could have a right-click toggle on the commission free vendor?

6. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    I really can't wait to see vendor customization. Then, perhaps one day we can dress them up with slots
    similar to our characters paperdolls. As a way of showing off our crafted goods etc.

Chatele, Sheamus McGuinness and Lace like this.
  7. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

That’s the bit that worries me. I bought a tax free but someone else will get the register. It would seem fair it goes with the vendor otherwise it just feels like there’s 2 people benefitting from one time. Reminds me of the seed thing. I bought a seed and then due to people who had managed to dup some they stripped the recipes so now I can’t make royal purple dye with the seed I paid money for.

I just don’t want to be bitten again

Lace and Mykll like this.
  8. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

As some people have brought up, it would make sense (in my opinion) to be able to select a vendor to be a person male/female or a cash register.
    1. It wouldn't change the amount of vendors already in game.
    2. The value of current vendors would increase, especially if the cash register only counts as decoration.

Just a wishful thinking, it would be nice if sigils could be applied to the back side (side facing the customers) of the cash register.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Chatele and liz_the_wiz like this.
  9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Interesting. It seems that if everyone with the appropriate pledge/bundle level to get a vendor got an 'additional' cash register then we'd effectively double the amount of CF vendors in game overnight.
    Not sure how really to solve this. Not really fair to make it to 'new bundles only' (and would do nothing to address pledges), perhaps some sort of exchange mechanic so you can swap a vendor for a cash register? Or, not sure how technically doable this is, but the ability to rightclick-changeskin? Maybe in your inventory?

Concerned about visibility, does the cash register just sit there or do you have some way to name/label it? With the not being an npc not sure how that'd work, though I'm sure players could get creative with signs and such and the letters, maybe.

10. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I'd also be concerned about visibility. Not sure it would be worth using a cash register if it's one or the other situation. Having a cash register just sit there on it's own with nobody attending to it also seems pretty silly.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I am just quoting. I have no solution for the issue ^^
    But yes, the idea as it is would double the vendors and yes they would go to the pledge that had a vendor at some point.
    First i see as an issue. Second.... Not so much to be honest. You bought an vendor on the second market. Why does that entitle you to get the cashier as well?

12. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Just posting this alltogether since it seems like some people didn't read the thread with Darkstarrs update....

So as stated, this will NOT "double the amount of CF vendors" out there!

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

That's actually not true as well.
    They are looking for a solution not to impact the number/value of CF vendors.

14. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Well they need a solution, else you might as well be stating that the number of CF vendors will quadruple, with male, female, cash register, diff skin tone variants etc.

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I see where we missed each other.
    Skins are skins. Like the victorian one. You slap it on your vendor and that's that.
    The cashier is, as i still understand it, a new item, not just a skin you slap on the vendor.

16. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

No, the cashier is the same problem as the other visual variants. In fact, if you read Darkstarr's post, he specifically addresses this:

"The cash register is a vendor. It is NOT linked to another vendor. We are hoping that this version does not count as NPC so that would be the advantage since it won't count against NPC limits.

We are still working on how it will be delivered without changing the number/value of commission free vendors. This will be same issue as the other visual variations we are making (outfits, gender, skin tone, etc.)

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Imo:
    You can read it BOTH ways. Without another clarification we won't be any wiser.

So let's stick to the skin version for a moment. If it's a skin it wouldn't affect the amount and or value of a cf vendor at all. So there would be no need to carefully calibrate the influx.
    Hence the reason i think the cashier is a vendor and skins are just skins.

@DarkStarr need MOAR clarification ^^

18. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

In this context I would like to add a suggestion I made in https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/vendor-changes.109528/#post-940827
    At least one of my mentioned points find general interest and that would be this: Make the inventory of vendor like it is for NPCs traders. You give a stack of 1537 items to the vendor tell him to sell it for x gold a piece and each avatar can decide if he would like to buy the whole stack or just parts of it. Same for purchase orders. If you need e.g. 1000 mandrake you do not really care if one avatar at once or 41 avatars are delivering this amount in varying packages.

Thinking about it I would even suggest adding a possibility to link them. E.g. I would find it interesting if you could place items on your lot, right click at them, choose “sell”, a window appears to describe your price suggestion and after confirmation every vendor on the lot is offering this item and if the item is sold also the visible item is removed from the lot…oh and this would be also a nice feature for NPC-traders. Like sometimes they are offering some rare items that are visible in their showroom and once sold they disappear. I know this might be tricky to do but I think it would be a nice feature. :)
    Also the possibility to link vendors to raise their total number of offers might be an interesting idea. E.g. one vendor can have 50 active offers and two linked vendors can have 75 offers together. Linked vendors would have lesser offerings (75 instead of 50+50) but you could place them at e.g. two different points on the lot and still sell at both points the similar items. Maybe they could be linked by using a vendor box…if you put items into this chest you have to set a price for them and every connected vendor will sell the items in this box for the defined price. Again a tricky task but maybe interesting enough to thing about it. ;)
    The already mentioned right click on a vendor to change the item seem to be a difficult task as I would guess this would need some new tech to make that possible…but I think most ideas would need that. :D
    I would suggest to add a possibility to trade them at a NPC trader just like we do more or less already with Coto’s for addon store items. You trade a vendor + 1000 gold to get a cashier and if you don’t like the cashier you trade back the cashier + 1000 gold to get a vendor.
    Regarding skins I would suggest to make vendors (and NPCs in general) editable at NewYouStations. On interacting with the station you get a window who you would like to adjust your avatar or one of the listed NPCs you have in your inventory. If you chose e.g. your vendor you can switch between different styles you own (scrolls in your inventory) or that are offered at the station for gold/coto. The scrolls could work like pattern once they are used the scroll is removed from your inventory if you change the skin a second time the prior skin scroll reappears in your inventory.
    Another possibility would be if we would get a similar character window as we get for our avatars. At first we might just drag/chose predefined sets at the NPCs but maybe over time we get the possibility to adjust the appearance more and more individually by manually changing character slots e.g. their jackets.

I do not see there a big problem too. More vendors you do not have to pay a commission for just mean more people will sell stuff.
    And also the cashier I see not as a big problem. Pledges and bundles get sometimes some additional items and this would be no different if they would really get them additionally which isn’t even currently set.
    No offense and maybe not the best example but it would be as if someone had bought e.g. the tax free Village Deed at the resale market but would start to complain that he did not got automatically the Remote Bank Access Devise or other lot goodies that were added to bundles as these items clearly belong together in his opinion.
    If they would add them additionally to existing bundles I honestly do not think this would be such a big problem but of course there are other possibilities thinkable. ;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

@Lars von Drachental
    well i can't see the real problem as well tbh.
    I can come up with a couple of solutions.
    1. don't gift us one. It's nice, sure, but if it is too much trouble, just let it be.
    2. gift us the one with the special skin but make it comissioned. It would still add value to the pledge (unique skin) and it wouldn't disrupt the value of cf vendors at all.
    3. gift it to us as planned. Because...i really have troubles seeing the issue. There are still game packes out there that got a cf vendor. Yes they are in the 550 USD pack, but it's not like they aren't avaible anymore.

20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Eh, from what was there when I read it - it said you'd get one of these if you had the appropriate pledge level. I'm making the leap to assume bundle purchasers need some sort of inclusion, but as of the time I replied, nothing was determined as yet - still "working on a way to deliver" without making a mess - thus my couple suggestions.

I personally think that adding LOADS of CF vendors into the game would do wonders for the economy, but people who've bought/sold these for real cash when they were a lot rarer/harder to come by may be just a bit peeved. I think that on its own is a poor reason not to add/disseminate new content into the game, though.

At the moment the economy's pretty stifled -there's a lot of reasons for this such as exorbidant cash sinks on the crafting end and such, but a big limit is vendor availability/space and the chosen direction to go with a 'place it at your house' methodology with no centralization or even regional centralization. Using a commission vendor or public vendor eats a lot of your money, its often better to fill buy orders or just you know, talk to players and make arrangements for the trade of commodities thus bypassing the entire process. We've already seen this happening a lot on a local level where instead of listing stuff on a vendor I am by request of a regular buyer - putting items in a box for later collection ("accounts receivable").

A 'commission vendor' in these scenarios is pretty useless imo, except maybe to sell books or other really cheap to list items, or, as in cases for some folks who can't make the financial leap to buy a bundle - because its the only option. Opening up the market to more folks I think would be a good thing.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Elwyn and Lace like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.