Voice in Game...

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Lord Baldrith, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I was on Unity's website, and noticed they do have voices and sound effects there. If there isn't a way for us to add our own voices, perhaps we could consider the ones that Unity has? Or maybe it is already being looked into?

fumblefingers, Mingo and Time Lord like this.
  2. Curt

Curt Avatar

wonder if it would be possible for a player to record his own name (if so wish) stored in own client.
    then together with some sound files for emotes.

/hello (while targeting lord baldrith) then he would hear 'hello' ... 'lord baldrith'

/comehere => "come here" ... "name"

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. Shades2585

Shades2585 Avatar

First off I am not a Unity person. But that being said, sound effects are one thing, and from what I remember of the SotA training video relatively easy. Characters like SotA is doing are different in that they have conversation "trees" and each conversation would have it's own audio file. So each character could have 30 different audio files that could trigger based on what you type. This is not just a quick trigger in the Unity engine for a specific item. This will have to be something written into the conversation tree that SotA wrote. If it is not in there it will never be able to happen. So first we need to find out if SotA's conversation system can be linked to audio files and what type of audio files. Maybe Mp3.

If this can be confirmed we can move forward with with trying to organizing some test scenarios for them.

4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I don't know Unity either. But, it's easily learnable...I can learn computer stuff fast...I'm the back up tech support at work (thrown at me recently :))...

Sounds easy enough tho, especially if Unity has an audio module we can use. Don't see why some reasonable priced recording device wouldn't work. It's all getting cheaper nowadays...wow the price of this stuff is 1/4 what it was just 10 years ago!

About the languages...I don't see why that can't be done at the time they are doing the text language...But I haven't heard that this game is going to be in multi-languages...Good question really.

fumblefingers and Time Lord like this.
  5. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Here's the thing though, good quality isn't going to cut it in a game like this. It has to be professional and everyone would need to be on the same page because there are many variables in audio recording. Yes, many of us who work in audio for a living do so from our homes, but we've also spent tens of thousands of dollars on our equipment to achieve the results we get. Plus, recording is only the beginning. IF (and that's a big "if") you could manage to get passable acoustics, you still need to have a solid knowledge of audio engineering. It would mean likely passing it on to a single engineer to attempt to make them all sound similar which coming from so many people with differing quality would be a logistics nightmare.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to be realistic here.

6. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Well, was just trying to give some of us a chance to take part in this game :)

I really hope they are looking at the Unity voice effects. If we can't have full dialog, hopefully there can be something.

To be honest...A game without voice, will seem, less. I hope I'm wrong, and that the game is so immersive and awesome that I don't notice, but just from playing games without voice, and those with voice, there is a big difference in the experience to me.

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but my mom has been telling me she wants voice and cut scenes etc...We are kind of spoiled in some of the games we've played. FFXIV and Aion had beautiful cutscenes...Granted, cutscenes are not everything since gameplay was Meh.

I'm loving this game so far...Just hoping we will have some things like this eventually...or even right away if it's just part of Unity.

7. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

This pretty much sums it up. Audio engineering is an art in itself. It takes some serious man hours and know how to make things "perfect" quality. Not to mention a lot of it has to do with the voice actors themselves. Tone, pitch, volume etc. It's a combination of the 2 when it comes to pushing something out of true quality. The voice actors and engineers all have to be on the same page.

If it did happen I vote for Samuel L Jackson to voice Lord B. Angry SLJ not normal SLJ. James Earl Jones would be an awesome boss villain. Cause you know Thulsa Doom.
    Or the guy who voiced Master Tang in Kung Pow could do Lord B :D

fumblefingers likes this.
  8. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

I think Richard might want to voice Lord British. He seemed kinda down about the whole 'No one draws LB looking like me' so having someone else voice him might be a step too far.

Or are we talking about a different Lord B here? Someone mentioned Lord Blackthorn in another thread, but if anyone did him, it'd have to be Alan Rickman.

Samuel L Jackson voicing Yolo? That'd be a good one for the giggles.

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Oh yea! Alan Rickman would be awesome for 'dark' voices. (he's a bit above our price range tho I would suppose, unless he happed to be a backer ;))

Also, while we are dreaming...Christopher Lee :)

Akeashar, Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  10. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

The SLJ thing was more or less a joke lol.

So Richard was bummed about that? Maybe some of the artsy kids here can fix that for him.
    Alan Rickman would make an awesome Blackthorn. I have to agree with Baldrith though Christopher Lee would be awesome as Blackthorn as well. Or Frank Langella for clockwork Blackthorn or Exodus.
    Laura Bailey for Minax. She was Lust in Full Metal Alchemist and (lol) Shin from Shin Chan. Not to mention she's smoking hot and will someday be my wife and bare me 9.6 masculine children.
    James Earl Jones for the Shadowlords.

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

What a fun subject. Really nice and creative responses. I am playing Neverwinter ,and while it is just something to pass time for now, it is not SOTA, or the game for me. The quests in that game are mostly written by players and they are stories and yes there is LOTS to read to get into the story properly and really quite fun. Quite often while you are reading the NPC is talking what you are reading, and if I'm in a hurrying type of mood I walk away and can still catch the end of the him talking, so I do like that very much. I wouldn't expect it every time, but here and there to make the game have the feel of being made now and not an old game. I don't want to play ULTIMA ,even though I love so many aspects of the game (that is why I am here), I want to play a new game that feels like a game made now. Well not sure if that computes, and sorry to go off topic a little there. I am enjoying this time, and looking forward to seeing all that's coming, but if we don't suggest/discuss what 's possible then the developers will not know it is wanted so they can see if it is possible.

12. Holt

Holt Avatar

I have been practicing my voice acting for a while, and I'm interested in narrating short stories (my own and others) from the Shroud community's fan fiction. I'll also be reading poems out loud from the Official "Hearts of Britannia" Competition. So please keep me in the loop on this. I'm also sure that you'll find a lot of interest amongst the members of Poets' Circle Guild. Particularly our Bards.

~Holt

13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I'm just an old amature voice guy, but have been doing it for most of my 42 years. If ever they allow us to do anything voice for this game, I hope they don't forget us :)

14. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I would love to see voice in game.

I know it must be expensive to facilitate decent voice acting so even if it was early Diablo style where you said "vendor buy" or right clicked the vendor and he said "How can I help?" It would be easier and much cheaper to implement.

Voices are the way to go :)

15. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Remembering back to the very poor voice acting in Ultima IX, I have no doubt in my mind what so ever that a group like the Poets Circle I just watched on the 3M video could do a better job. Number of years in an industry is not a standard on how we should be benchmarking talent.

I believe Shroud of the Avatar needs to put together some scripts and post them. See what we all can do.

16. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Ok, so I will put these up.

I am not a voice actor, I do not have any experience reading out loud, in public, or for an audience of any kind... I have no background in the preforming arts, nor in any associated profession such as writing for or post production with media. I am a Systems Engineer so I work in IT.

Yesterday, I wanted to have a bit of fun and promote the next stretch goal in my own way; by making a few quite short MineCraft videos. I thought it may be neat to do some weird effects on my voice for them, so in the span of about three hours I produced the two short videos with the help of two freeware tools; Windows Movie Maker(Video) and Audacity(Audio).

I recorded the audio at about 3am in the morning, so my voice was just above a whisper so as not to wake up my wife and kids pretending to be Darkstarr with the egomaniacal novice voice acting lol. Put them into Audacity and played around and produced my two very first clips. For someone who has never used Audacity, edited audio or read aloud from a script and record myself I was happy with the first result after spending only three hours.

Now I know they are not great but I think my main point here is that there may be people here on the community who do have some experience with this who may wish to help out if it is possible. I would certainly give it a shot if it was an option as I enjoyed messing around with the stuff, and you can only get better with practice! There may also be some natural talent out there just waiting to be discovered, you will never know if you never try...

test1 mp3
    test2 mp3

17. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I love these Avatar...Tho you said you are an IT guy (Like me)...you has vocal talent!

Time Lord, O`Sullivan and AvatarAcid like this.
  18. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Thanks Lord Baldrith, and encouragement like that always feels great, people supporting each other is how to get something like this done and inspire others!

19. Holt

Holt Avatar

Anyone can get good at anything, if they put the time in. Being interested and always learning, practicing just a little every day. Add a sense of adventure and playfulness, and you have the trappings of greatness.

20. Holt

Holt Avatar

Hi, the original message I posted was moderated by Mystic for the use of an already censored ***ed out word. Which is fine, lesson learned! I'll post the original message, now edited and emphasis taken off.

That's the spirit!

I heartily give this initiative the Holt Ironfell thumbs up. Who says what we can and cannot do creatively? As far as I am concerned, sky's the limit.

P.S. Also, even if certain stuff we do together ISN'T used, where do you think 'years of experience in the industry' comes from? Answer: Trying!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.