We need a State of POT update!

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Candor Atlantica, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

Hello all!

I've been patiently waiting for an update on the current plan for POT's and I believe we need an official comment on what is coming for POT in the near future. I would like to know what is on the horizon, since it appears that POT's need "much love", but yet are suffering from a lack of attention.

I would like to know:

1. When will we get the infamous "lawnmower" to remove unwanted trees/bushes?
    2. When will there be POT entry choices? And what will that look like?
    3. Will there be a way to trade my town ownership to another player?
    4. Will we ever be able to obtain an Ardoris "Ferryman" that can transport people in town?
    5. Will owners be able to switch templates at will, or will you allow them to make a "final" change?
    6. I'd like to wall off my "small town". Will you offer a variety of wall types to purchase?
    7. Will walls be large enough to encompass town, with as few pieces as possible?
    8. Will you sell additional town features that you would expect to find in a town?

As it stands, I can't stand the way my holdfast is very limited in offering any incentive for someone to "want" to live in a limited scene. Pretty much an ugly scene without any roads, bridges, walls, etc.... So if I can't make it work for my original plan, then I sure would like to trade it to someone else who can make use of it.

So what does the future hold?????

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I can empathize with the frustration : My POT is constructed with the eventual expectation of moving the entrance spawn point to the opposite side of the scene.

And I know of at least ten other POTs which are constructed under a similar premise (which unfortunately makes getting to the town itself a big pain).

The lack of that one particular capability is a severe damper on population growth for those scenes, I'm sure.

However, DarkStarr has mentioned that further implementation is not scheduled for this quarter... Which is why I am greatly interested to see the Q4 roadmap once it is released.

----

Since player generated content such as POTs is such a big potential long-term draw for the gaming audience, I expect Portalarium to continue to add content and functionality for the life-time of the game.

Personally, I expect to make ongoing changes to my POT as new functionality and new content is added: It is simply part of the fun of playing the game for me.

I'm in it for the long haul, and am not in any rush. :)

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I made a large area in my crossroads village (100 placables) PoT Completely surrounded by walls. It took 96 of my 100 slots so I completely agree. At this point, I have almost given up on my PoT until things change like more placables. I can't even get people to settle into it, I tried heavy advertising here for months with no takers (even free).

4. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

(Puts on his Starr disguise)

Great questions!

1. Soon
    2. We're hoping by sometime around the end of the year. We are currently not sure what form this might take. There are obstacles.
    3. There is already a method. Purchase a service voucher and send a request to support@portalarium.com.
    4. Great idea!
    5. After the town is present in the game or if your form is locked, you can switch templates by purchasing a service voucher and unlocking your form. The change will happen in the next release or two, depending on when in the cycle you lock your form.
    6. Eventually, we'd like to have many wall options, but we are limited by time and staffing.
    7. We'll try to have a good selection of wall lengths, but I would not expect pieces that are extremely long.
    8. Yes! We intend to eventually have a large variety of items to decorate your town in the add-on store, with similar items craftable in-game.

Keep the questions coming!

(slinks off into the darkness)

5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Very convincing, could barely tell the difference. ;)

6. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

This deserves a bump

@DarkStarr .. I know you're tired of being asked..prolly as tired as we are of asking lol

but ya know...it'd really be nice to be able to clear out some stuff and get on with the PoT building... even is it's a wee holdfast

:confused:

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree limits are horrible and placeable items are too few. Wizards rest is a crossroad but we have another town there named Time Tunnel that is a holdfast so I know what you mean and yikes and we are working on it still, But check out wizards rest. one thing we've done to help deco the town more here and there is to use a blank lot and place no house on it. It could be a village or bigger and section it off like it's separate little areas. If you have a spare lot deed you can do that even make a crafting pavilion on part of it to save town placeable limit for something else and don't use the pavilion that comes with your town. We have 2 pavilions set up one is on lot and the other a pavilion. I like the op ideas and also want more limits very much.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The OP was from September - I think town owners can already choose where their town entrance is, can't they? I know that the town entrance of Rift's End has been moved.

Regarding the deco limit: we know the limit has to do with performance, so until performance enhancements have been implemented, it will do no good to keep asking. At the Telethon it was announced that R37 will be primarily a performance improvement release, so it might be a good idea to wait until then and give feedback on how effective the improvements are.

9. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Any sort of 'update' will likely come in the delivery of the Q1 2017 Outlook.

That said, the POT entrance and exits were delivered, along with the overland map dynamic activity indicators.

10. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

1. When will we get the infamous "lawnmower" to remove unwanted trees/bushes?
    This will happen sometime in Q1 2017 now
    1. When will there be POT entry choices? And what will that look like?
    First iteration delivered in R36. May offer further refinements later
    1. Will there be a way to trade my town ownership to another player?
    Submit support ticket to support@portalarium.com and purchase two support vouchers
    1. Will we ever be able to obtain an Ardoris "Ferryman" that can transport people in town?
    We will consider it
    1. Will owners be able to switch templates at will, or will you allow them to make a "final" change?
    Submit support ticket to support@portalarium.com and purchase a support voucher
    1. I'd like to wall off my "small town". Will you offer a variety of wall types to purchase?
    2. Will walls be large enough to encompass town, with as few pieces as possible?
    There are some templates that come with walls and there are lots of purchaseable and 1 craftable wall type
    1. Will you sell additional town features that you would expect to find in a town?
    Eventually

11. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

Yes, I posted this thread in September 2016. With that said, I acknowledge they added a feature to change town entrance, but it doesn't go far enough. I still would like to see town owners be able to place the entrance/exit at a specific location. My reasoning: I want to place my town center in a specific area, versus the areas that are pre-selected. The pre-selected areas are not optimal for the template I have. I don't mean for me to be able to change it at will every day or every minute, but I do want the option to move it, at least once anyway. I know the current stance on entrance/exit fixed locations is to avoid "griefing", but I believe there is a better solution and that the "griefing" explanation is irrelevant.

As for deco limits, the idea that it is a performance issue may hold true for those with Metropolis that have in excess of 100's of items placed, but definitely does not hold true for those of us with Holdfasts. We have a limit of 40 and many of us want to make our towns look like towns. Placing several buildings next to each other doesn't quite pull it off the way I envisioned it. I want a small town center, perhaps a cobblestone center or planked boardwalk. A couple of light poles, tables, chairs, fountain, statue or two. Nothing major. Right now, while they work on performance, I think an easy fix is just make some of the "flooring" deco, much larger than what a "giant" tile currently offers. This would make many of us happy. I think I heard mention in the Fall into Winter Telethon that they are planning to make larger tiles. Anyone confirm? I think many of us would be happy with them making longer wall segments too, for those of us who want a small protecting wall around our town. So it's not just a matter of increasing deco limits, but also a matter of making content created for housing lots (walls and floor tiles), more effective for POT's.

12. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

@DarkStarr I am patient and know things are in flux. Just being a "squeaky wheel", hoping some of these things jump to the front of the line.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  13. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

UGHHHHHH :-(

that was the best "groan" I can type

The Forest 1(a) just suffers.....Good grief
    I'll gladly borrow all the TF lot deeds you wanna pass my way to do that :)

majoria70 likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol sadly the last one I placed was not tax-tree so I'm gonna be needing to pay attention to it ;) but it is just an idea if someone can get the lot deed.

Solazur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.