Why SotA is not as fun as UO was. What I enjoy/dislike & overall feelings.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zylo, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

And this review is leaving out the most important information that it is a crowdfunded game requiring to do this - presenting all in a total wrong picture.

There is no publisher.

Same as the many who complain about pledge level price not understanding the bussiness model.

What SotA needs is a Public Relation Department creating a clear unconfusung message. And removing the uncountable missunderstooded user feedbacks out there.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

2. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I lost you.

If you already have a wonderful, good-for-everyone game out there, with the added bonus it's an established, polished, refined venue since a long time, that offers you everything offered by SotA (as SotA offers PVE, PVP, events, RP and housing, last time I checked)... Why bothering with a clearly inferior and so far untested product?

Isn't better to embrace EA and the solidity of a stable brand, than to risk money in what amounts to a venture capital adventure?

What is here that keep tickling your curiosity?

It's an honest curiosity.

Moonshadow likes this.
  3. Shin

Shin Avatar

I get what you're trying to say, and I believe the game wasn't just ready to be put on Steam.
    A greedy move that is not paying.

As I said before the Steam community is very demanding, and asking the fanbase for good reviews won't make a big difference.

I know I am wasting my time replying to you, because you just don't seem to get it. Or you just enjoy this subtle trolling of yours.

I am not asking for a release tomorrow. I am not complaining about the $200 I spent. I don't prefer big brands over small software houses.

I, as many others, am just disappointed with the current progress.
    And I am terribly worried that it won't get better.

Sure milking money from the backers in pre-alpha doesn't help.

Wanderlust and Zylo like this.
  4. Katrina Bekers

I agree 100% with this. When SotA was put on Steam, I was one of the most vocal critics of the move. Even more so after the request for positive reviews. The forum threads of old are there as permanent witness of what I say.

Oh, but we all are! It's our money, after all, and we poured generous amounts of cash on this, too. Who wouldn't be concerned about how all that cash is spent?

But there's always this tiny part about perspective and expectations.

I don't expect it to be a perfect game, nor exactly the one I want (I already expressed contrariety on combat, dual map, instancing, etc.), but I'm well aware of where I am now. I'm just a bit more of a paying tester. Who is having tons of fun with this half-done toy.

As soon as I change perspective, and I think of myself of a working-earning-paying-pretending gamer, my frustrations quadruple in no time.

But still, this new business model is something hard to measure up with everything we ever saw before. It may flop, it may flourish.

The main quest line is to get the game out, for now.

It helps the bottom line, however. And if you "get" the crowdfunding and crowdsourcing models, it makes sense in an heartbeat.

Zylo likes this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

The only fact here is that you took a quote from a Steam review.

6. Shin

Shin Avatar

The problem with me is that I really can't have fun playing this game. It looks like a joke.

Zylo likes this.
  7. Gix

Gix Avatar

Which is understandable as most of the content isn't even in yet. Communities are currently filling in the gaps to enjoy themselves while testing out different systems.

Katrin Bekers [PeV] likes this.
  8. Shin

Shin Avatar

Yup.
    The game even looked better two years ago:

strabo likes this.
  9. Shin

Shin Avatar

Shhh... it's a pre-alpha. Buy a plot of land, cross your fingers and wait until 2016/2017.

Zylo likes this.
  10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

what an uneducated review, but these are the facts right?

11. Zylo

Zylo Avatar

That's not an uneducated review. That is somebody making an observation and forming an opinion. It also happens to be shared by a lot of people...

Money is flowing in and a lot of people are unhappy with the game that is coming out as they keep selling more items in the game and saying "wait, We know it sucks now but it will be good, I promise".

Freeman likes this.
  12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

it's uneducated because they have indeed been updating the graphics and gaming experience and it's exactly where it needs to be, in pre-alpha, saying otherwise is uneducated, in my opinion.....

13. Zylo

Zylo Avatar

This game is exactly where it needs to be and saying otherwise is uneducated?

If we don't like the development of the game and how it's progressing then we are uneducated?

Wow, how can I argue with logic like that.....I bow down to your stunning intellect.. Maybe if I was educated I could form better ideas and opinions.

14. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I thought we were talking about facts, oh well, nevermind

Katrin Bekers [PeV] likes this.
  15. Zylo

Zylo Avatar

All the content in the world isn't going to save a game with really bad gameplay...

You can load up content in this game until it's spilling into the sea and it won't be fun to play.

People are tired of running around double clicking to collect resources with a random chance of success for hours and hours on end....

People are tired of cheesy hotbar point and click combat with auto target...

It seems like the people that don't mind the combat are not the ones who are even interested in engaging in it like the rest of us that love combat... Why would they not design combat listening to the players it matters to the most?

This seems like a game for kiddies, not for gamers. My opinion, but that's what it is!

Freeman likes this.
  16. Gix

Gix Avatar

I was directly replying to @Shin's comment about not enjoying the game in its current state. In which case finding stuff to do can be a cause of boredom and, thus, the player ends up not having fun.

Game production 101:
    • Implement your features in the most basic form. Can players loot items?
    • Test your current features as soon as possible to see if all your different elements are working. What happens if players tried to loot items inside a player house?
    • Have players complain about how crude the systems are.
    • Refine each feature based on your scheduled priorities. Add "Loot all" button?
    • Repeat.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It's not that people don't understand, of course we do, well most do lol. I've been here since there was no combat at all, or jumping, or crafting of any sorts, characters were pretty funny looking then too, and movement was really worse. These are different viewpoints to come from than from someone just jumping in, so try to understand that where we are coming from is having learned, or still trying some days lol, to be patient. Sometimes we rant and lose our patience for a moment, and then have to get it back because well we just have to lol. We can't hurry anything, we have no power. We all have so much passion for this game to be wonderful, so we hang in there and let it get developed and keep providing feedback. Nothing is over at this point, there is no doomsday until it is released, and whos to say what it will look like then. Nothing is done, very little story is in etc. Many secrets are being kept from us, do we really want full disclosure, truly do we want that? It is a double edged sword. There comes a point when we have given feedback up to the ying yang and the Devs will either hear us or not. Many times I will be so surprised at seeing something come in the game, and realize hey oh they did hear and there it is. So I do not underestimate that they are listening. They totally are, but just not every second because they have work to do. Sorry this is not just for you. I am glad you are here. It's a crazy way to do a game in my opinion, but hopefully it will be better for it throughout all the craziness.:) **cheers**

18. Jaxtron

Jaxtron Avatar

I have been following the game off and on for some time and finally decided to make the commitment last year. I started gaming on dialup muds to get to UO and fell in love with it.

I have tried most MMOs out there and have found things I love and hate about each. The thing is what I love, others may not and what I can't stand is what may keep others coming back over and over. What you are looking for in a game is a very personal thing. You are upset about the combat, appear to hate tab-targetting, want to be more action based? I HATE all that. I love tab-targeting. I despise twitch games that want me to circle strife while constantly hitting my mouse button 1 or 2 for "attack 1" or "attack 2" or another hot key to "block" when a queue is displayed. I don't want to play a game that requires me to hop around like a bunny to avoid getting hit. You may love it, I don't. Just because we have different opinions of what combat should be, doesn't mean the game with one form of combat sucks. It just means it isn't the game for you.

By all means, list what you don't like. Offer your opinion of what needs to be done. We are early in the development now is the time to do so. But if twitch combat was never the plan, don't expect it to drastically change because it is what you want.

As for the comment of content not making a game, I disagree with that too. I have played many games in the past that had very poor graphics but good content. Shoot, ever hear of the old text games Zork 1, 2 or 3? LOVED them and there were no graphics. I don't need pretty pictures or cutting edge technology to make a game fun. But that being said, there are some that do require that. More power to them. Again, it is just a difference of opinion as to what is important.

You are right though in that this will be much more a niche game than a AAA blockbuster/WOW killer. But then I don't think they ever set out to make the next WOW. They have a select audience they are going for and the majority here seem to be that audience. I don't think the majority of Steam players are. You may be able to guess...I am not a Steam player. :)

19. Exialch Qualthian

Exialch Qualthian Avatar

Combat really is bad. The exploration is also bad.

But what is worse? Spending more than 30 seconds to collect a resource.

Who decided that? Who decided to make resource collecting difficult in a pre-alpha game where characters are wiped every month? What kind of data does that provide to you? When you analyze resource collecting data, how does this help? Because at the moment there is no economy no detailed crafting.

When I login the game, I want to see decisions of an intelligent team. This decision is not intelligent. You take this step at the release, not 1.5 years before the release (or 2 years).

What is another not intelligent decision? Spending 1 hour to gain a level. Most people won´t reach max level before wipe, do you need level progression data more than end-game data?

Also, I think we can all agree that there is too much focus on cosmetic items and housing. I don´t want to see new houses for 50$ when the core game models are so dull and lame. The 3D artist should focus only on core game.

I don´t like the progress of this game, and I don´t think it is in the good hands.

The only thing in the game at the moment is the soundtrack. It is amazing and it is the only thing that helps to stay in the game.

I have my doubts about the future of this game, but if it doesn´t work, no problem for me. Because I have only spent 25$. But the average reader of this message of mine has probably spent more than 275$, and I really understand you and your hopes. I hope this game becomes very good and successful and you get your money´s worth. Promises are good, but they should be backed with results. It is nice to enjoy the game in the town talking with words of Shakespeare, but only to some extend.

Also a note: If you develop a good game, the people will reward you for sure. Look at Rust, DayZ, Next Car Game. None of these games sold anything except for the game itself in its alpha state and DayZ and Rust made more than 20 million dollars. Instead of focusing on the game only, you get distracted with these pledges and cosmetics and you are stuck at 6 millions. Maybe if you had never done this, you would hit 10 million $. But the mentality is very different here and it is very harmful for the progression.

Zylo and Dewderonomy like this.
  20. Katrina Bekers

Zylo, wanna sell me your pledge?

Please, anything, but stop this nonsense.

You joined two days ago and already know everything about the game, and "people do this", "people hate that", "all players want this", "the rest of us want that".

Seriously, I'll pay for your stock shares.

I'll call you back in 2018 or something. Cannot guarantee a ROI, but then I'll offer back your pledge at original+inflaction prices.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.