Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

With every release I despise player housing more and more

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Except for PvP mechanics?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Once again I go back to my original comment about compromise.

If you want to take PvP you could talk about full loot as a classic example......would I want it? Yes, will I get it? No. But I have posted an alternative solution that makes sense, increases immersion and in theory makes full loot possible but highly unlikely (a bit like winning the jackpot on the lottery).

For clarity sake, do I like loads of junk being stacked on a lot? No. Do I think there should be some level of control in terms of what can be stacked and how high? Yes. Do I want strict rules over what players can and can't do on their plot......absolutely no.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That pretty much is what I have been saying.

Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Cool; I'm just making a point. There are competing interests on these issues and different games will handle them different ways. I've also supported full loot and Open PvP because I like the gameplay that comes with that freedom, but I realize there are legitimate complaints about how it changes gameplay, so I think if implemented its something that has to be balanced. I also think the same way about decoration; I support freedom, and I hope we can customize our houses later in the game, but I think there's also a balance issue there.

People will disagree on how these things should be balanced, and if anyone is so miserably unhappy with how it turns out, they can play another game. Hopefully the dev team can create something that makes everyone happy, and its ultimately going to be their decision.

But there's no reason to get into nonsense of who is being a dictator and trying to restrict thought. What I hate about these threads is they get into a lot of moralizing. People bring real world politics into the game.

Kleshar, Caliya, rune_74 and 3 others like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Those are good views :rolleyes:

Hey Everybody! :eek: "There's a new game called Shroud of the Avatar based in a New Medieval Setting!"...
    Come Buy This Game Today! :D
    [​IMG]
    What is the decor of this game?... o_O
    Is our freedom of expression more important than having medieval setting for our game? What are game buyers looking for when they come to investigate our medieval styled villages, towns and cities?

Would we be happy if our developers decided to replace our monsters with the "Looney Toons" characters because of their rights in freedom of expression?
    I venture to say that our game would go from this... :oops:
    [​IMG]
    To This... :oops:
    [​IMG]
    and that would happen very quickly... or do we need the Looney Toons in our dungeons?... o_O
    [​IMG]
    There must be away to preserve our game's visual appeal as medieval villages and towns, or make sure that the offline game has a much better visual appeal as a medieval styled game...
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

See, I am OK with this, because it's functional. It follows the laws of gravity.

Tahru and Time Lord like this.
  7. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I totally agree! Thank you for your posting Time Lord :)

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Don't get me wrong, I'm not OK with the devs adding just any old model into the game.

It must be media that fits the game.

If the physics is right and the media fits. The player can be as creative as the wish.

Tarsin and Time Lord like this.
  9. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Joviex, the only problem I have with this idea is that it forces those players that want to do something different to either buy a POT or live in someone else's. In the ideal case living in someone else's town wouldn't be a problem, but at least today town owners can boot anyone for any reason at any moment. Until we hear from Portalarium, right now choosing to live in an NPC town is likely the best option for non-conforming players becuase NPC towns offer stability in both keeping their lot out of POT placement and re-location drama, and from the possible chance town owners might come around and demand changes be made.

In other threads I even heard people advocating that in NPC towns there should be a limitation that prevents players from placing the same style of house next to each other. Thereby not allowing a row of knight homes, or a row of lighthouses.

Why not just have some NPC do-whatever-you-want towns, and some do-what-we-want towns?

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

What about my "house"?

[​IMG]

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Cool Shadoweaver, some towns do need a cemetery, you could sell tombstones to the townfolks. It would be cool if you could give it a name that you chose,
    for example shadyrest cemetery, and also be able to add neat short comments on the tombstones for those who have dearly departed residence there. good job.:)

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Obviously nothing wrong with that...now if you stacked graves to be about 50 feet in the air then I would say errr...

amaasing, Shadoweaver, Joviex and 4 others like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Our Future According to the ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

I'm not one to complain without trying to thinking of a solution. So here's my take on it... o_O
    I am thinking that once our game does go live, that market forces will be a bit discouraging to the "stacking player". Stacking with the chess boards have produced a wide variety of interesting structures as well as a few other successful projects such as with those of the maze. Do such structures brake immersion? We will soon see when we go live, that when any person who does buy a plot of land with in game gold, that there will be a time when this player has little to nothing on their lot, and may have their things scattered all over their lot, so I do believe that we may see many "junk yards" spring up. How long they remain junk yards is anyone's guess, as the struggling player may only have the ability to have a junk yard, because there is little to be gained by buying those very small beginner's houses which can only hold so much stuff. There will come a release in the future that could "build a custom house" in our future, yet that's just a prediction :rolleyes:

:oops: Our Basements and the History of the Dugout Home...
    [​IMG]
    Our basements are very important for the cause of eliminating junk yards. Our basements should be much cheaper than a surface home, because dugouts were a historical way of housing for almost every nation on earth during their infancy of civilization. Wood is a commodity and I do hope there are ways our carpentry skills can create a house from the player's labors. Yet when our players move into a housing lot, they should have the ability to dig out their first floor of a basement in order to have a place for all their things to go, so the upper land can become cultivated. These are the ways of what has been real and natural and such a dugout/basement (1 story) should cost less labor to the player than it would be to buy a set of stack able chess boards. Our chess boards of the future should not be a way to have a 1 story or 2-3 story building. When we are young in the game with nothing more than a lot in life, we are nothing more than peasant farmers and our future new players who have nothing, need a way to complement the landscape in proper medieval style which would be befitting to see when next to a castle or other housing. Thus, "the dugout" seems a way of accomplishing this goal. Such a dugout could have an above ground earthen structure, as well as having a 1 story basement. Such a dugout could then serve it's viewer's well, as well as serving it's owner well, by clearing all the junk off the lawn to make way for farming ;)

Our Housing Expansions... :oops:
    Yet I would also say that such structures should not have the ability to go any deeper than one story above and one below, because this would encourage the dugout owner to build or buy a house to place on their lot, so they can then dig, build or buy a deeper 2-5 story basement under it.

That's just one idea, but I do hope we all can build on it, or think of something better :)
    The cost of even having a lot in life should be encouraged o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

14. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Not a cluttered mess, now this is artistic. And your neighbors will "love" you for putting a graveyard next to their very expensive castles. hehe

15. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

After re-reading through all the posts, I believe this game should not "cut down" on the creativity anywhere by anyone. Cutting down the creativity cuts down the possibilities of the things you can do in the game. I will also forever be against any rules restricting the creativity of any one individual.

16. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Unfortunately the fountain wouldn't fit, but I added a precariously placed hottub, firepit, stools for sitting, and of course more ankhs. Enjoy! The sunrise is beautiful this time of day in New Britannia.

[​IMG]

17. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I am trying to hold my tongue on this thread...but I remember in UO creativity was part of the reason for exploration thru the world. Vendors with cheap and awesome stuff...houses that were just done up cool...some were ugly sure...but hey, Sandbox to me = less restrictive.

18. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I can't stop looking at the NPCs talking to each other.. lol

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

That view looks so cool Tarsin, there could be a whole story behind the scene, you could be an eccentric millionaire. The story possibilities are unlimited to different decorating ideas.:)

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and Tarsin like this.
  20. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I'm liking this idea Majoria. I'll have to let that idea sit and marinade for a bit and see what I can come up with :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.