info about pvp

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Isaiah, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I am not a PvP player but if done properly it could be interesting. (Eg; no griefers)

I had the thought that having the day / night system play into it somehow would be interesting. Have PvP available at night but with the following conditions. Underground areas, Villages and Cities could be off limits but all others areas for hunting where one can tell the difference between night and day could be affected.

Just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

What Ravenclaw suggests here is not that different than real life;

I like the idea where PvP areas may have an expanded area during the night, as this is a time when laws are not so enforceable and lines of battle are tested by probe.

o_O What does anyone think of a little PvP Probing :eek:

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

What tradyblix indicates here I believe is very correct;

I think one of the largest problems we PvP advocates face right now, is an Alpha Test that has not yet come to a stage of development that affords us a chance to test any PvP
    In preparation for such a thing, I began this thread to begin to find out how many of us would be willing to participate;
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/who-will-be-waging-our-first-pvp-war.9707/

Possibly after we get through with the current PvE testing, we can begin planning for such a gathering. I'm certain that LB & DS would like to have such a thing at some point, but I believe that we must show them the human player recourses for them to get any idea of how such a thing can be prepared for. o_O

PvP seems a hot topic with no escape valve :(
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:
    Time Lord, A moment ago

4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

First of all i never raged quit! Didn't even mention quitting, I did however rage about people like you with statements like above, PVP mechanics, basic fighting using cards and chance, some of the forum mods, and the game itself. I said "Im not happy with the way things are or most of the PVE only types and that i will always be straight PVP! I will still play it even though im not happy thus far, (I STILL PAID FOR IT! just like you did!)
    See you should've read the post and not just the parts you wanted to see! , If you had read the whole post you wouldn't have said this to try and make me look bad or start a fight( which i always get "under review for " by mods!
    As Far as Archage (which is far, far far from crumby <----if that is even a word!?) Im in the alpha right now(which has been a lot better than the alphas or betas here! Its already a full game!) which is why i haven't been on lately! I still however have a lot of friends on here that i do talk to and will probably run around with them when im not playing Archeage. So my advice is read full posts before just jumping in and casting judgement!

Time Lord likes this.
  5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

We should put all our lists together and work our way down it alphabetically, As one army! That will cut our wait time in half before we can really start playing for real! Im sure our lists are almost identical! i will be Carrying the "Merc Inc." tag above my character, carry yours proud as well! all they will see is a bunch of different guild names coming at them through the storm!

Time Lord and TemplarAssassin like this.
  6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Man i havent seen you around in awhile! We missed you! Im just going to wait for the game to be done and finished before i get back into it!

Time Lord, Isaiah and TemplarAssassin like this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

You know im down for it!!!!!!! message me!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

The moderators, in general, try to remove posts that break the forum rules--regardless of which perspective you have on gaming features, pro-PvP, anti-PvP or otherwise. If you feel unfairly treated, you should consider giving feedback via the support email address.

I am absolutely certain their voice is being heard.

This seems like a pretty sound argument.

I think several groups are compromising. There are several major 'camps' of Ultima fans, and each has a different set of wants for SotA. Matching all of them would be extraordinarily difficult, and perhaps even impossible. Additionally, it seems that it is much harder to sell people on something new which they are not sure they want, rather then to give them the 'old trusty' solution. At this point all I can say is that the new features may be better than the old. Please give it a chance, and give feedback afterwards. :)

You may be confusing some of your assumptions there--particularly if the sampling either has or doesn't have a replacement factor (i.e. binomial versus hypergeometric distributions). For example: It is possible to lose said item on the first try, is it not? Also, is it not the case that the value of items will increase through their continued use in SotA?

I'd say with these two factors combined it seems reasonable for people to be concerned or want a clear understanding of what risks are posed to them for item loss. And, likewise, probably incorrect to assume their loss will always be from 'self-griefing', right? ;)

9. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Aye, same!
    I haunt the forums from time to time, like the Spirit of Proper Gameplay, but not too often!
    Once the game is done and if there is enough room in there for the flower of evil to blossom, I will return. Cause this flower, you know, needs watering. Or shall I call it...blooding?

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  10. hurriedcorgi

hurriedcorgi Avatar

Has it already been decided that a true open PvP world like the pre-t2a UO is just not going to happen? I'm sure this has been beat to death but I find a lot of discussion on it still so I was not sure if the final decision had been made?

I can only hope for those of us that the original UO was such an amazing time and that due to its open nature it was the most balanced of all that the final decision hasn't been made.

-Matt

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Retro

Retro Avatar

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes. Since the very beginning of the Kickstarter now more than a year ago.

13. Tekmon

Tekmon Avatar

It depends on the specific question. No, there will not be non-consensual fight between players so that "new" players are well protected against griefing. Either you will be flagged for PvP or you will be very well advised that you are entering a PvP "hex".

However, a form of Loot Loss is still in the undecided realm to be argued for or against. The proposed PvP thinking is almost there with the ransom system, either you will lose an item or gold upon death in PvP.....so death definitely will have a penalty that benefits the Victor in a fight. Hopefully, they will give more of a required item loss a chance during alpha/beta, so it is important that your opinion is heard and noted. Personally, I want to fight a player(s) that has something to lose rather than someone who doesn't as it makes for a more competitive and strategic fight.

14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

F
    I wouldn't say it was balanced. I played UO at launch and was quickly driven away. Every time I would leave town as a new player, I'd be set upon by a party of griefers fully decked out and instantly killed. And I'd lose everything I'd have. And then I'd spend a week as a tailor raising money for a basic weapon and suit of armor only to be killed within seconds of leaving town again. That system caused me to cancel my subscription and leave UO behind permanently. Enough players left over that system that they were forced to switch, and when they did, most players opted for a world where they weren't forced to deal with griefing.

In SWTOR I do Ranked PvP with the best players precisely because it is competitive and difficult, but also because you aren't punished for engaging in PvP, so you can keep doing it. I find it quite fun to test myself against the best players.

Balance is a system like SotA will have, where the only people in PvP are those are capable and willing. So it will be competitive and interesting. There are separate PvP skills and rewards. The best mats in the game will be instances that are open PvP.

15. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

Guys, this is not a nice way to answer a simple question. hurriedcorgi hasn't made 10 posts about the subject and the only thing that could be reproached (in a nice manner) is not searching the forums very thoroughly.

So anyways, welcome hurriedcorgi, and yes, the answer lies in the PvP megapost, current thinking about PvP (and in the PvP subsection if you're into drama and sterile debates ^^)

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I more than likely loved UO before you did... Please note my signature... I was driven from the game that I'd loved and followed so long with such great enthusiasm and hope for many of the same reasons noted above by enderandrew.

The game, from my point of view, began as a wonderful experience and quickly devolved into a hellish one where I could not walk out of my house without fear of being accosted, slain, and stripped naked. This happened to me on one occasion and one item that was stripped from me was my house key... for that house mentioned in my signature... the one I worked long and hard for over months and in less than a minute, it was no longer mine.

It now belonged to the group that Ganked me and stole it.

My months of toil now in the hands of griefers who invested no more than a minute's effort to obtain it.

I left the game as enderandrew did. Never to spend another dime on it. Ceding the field to those that had abused me and mine.

That is the Balance you seem to miss so much... My vicitimization is your Amazing time.

Suffice it to say that I *NEVER* would have backed this project had I had the slightest belief I would again be subjected to that hellish experience.

17. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

So dont he need to spend 10 sec to use the search bar? Dont need to look even any video/dev thread about this? Dont need to enter to the multiple threads about the same in the same subforum? Can he ignore the rules of the forum about to posting and multiple threads? Can he start again the same poll just because he wants? Sorry, maybe Im not that much nice. My fault. ;)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Never once.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  19. Robby

Robby Avatar

I think that constantly telling people that the PvP discussion is over, and that its over discussed, and making comments like "not again, ugh! Im tired of this" isnt getting us anywhere either. Because.... the topic is never over. If its done HERE then there going to have to lock up the PvP section, and moderate any speech on PvP afterward. Though, even if this were to happen, the topic is still going to be discussed, over and over and over and over again. Its just like watching the news, and watching politics, and documentaries on TV. The same topics are discussed over and over again for years and years, maybe they lighten up on one topic, but then another one will pop up again that started all the way back in 1842. So to complain that the topic is done, and to tell everyone to stop mentioning it just isn't getting anywhere. It may be done for you, but it isn't done for whoever else wants to continue the discussion on it. New or old. If you really want to talk about it for the next 100 years go ahead and knock yourself out!

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The only bit that is over is the Consensual part. All else is up for discussion.
    Have at.

Silent Strider and Eriador like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.