Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Kill Stealing rewarded/encouraged?

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Smalls, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

So I was out doing some killing and noticed someone that had a mob near death. Since I knew the guy I figured what the heck I would help finish it off.. Mob was at less than 20% life. By hitting the mob twice I apparently got the last swing, therefore the kill. Wow I gained ALL xp and was able to loot the mob. This should not be. as it promotes kill stealing and really doesn't make helping anyone beneficial to that person.

@Chris

Is this intended, or should it be revisited?

Rinaldi, Beaumaris, Chatele and 13 others like this.
  2. agra

agra Avatar

Last hit wins! (and there's no personal loot)
    This is why you'll probably want to hunt in friends-only or single-player-online modes. ;)

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

When I do this I stand by and see if the guy needs help. like is he not doing damage and will take forever or is he taking damage and might Die.

I will NEVER jump in and kill something without either of the above two or a conversation with the other person.

We have KNOWN for a while that the last hit that kills gets the exp.

This has been covered all the way back like R10, when player ran amock in Deep Ravenswood killing over and over, not looting just to gain exp.

If you want to not get help or have your kills stolen there is the Single Player or Friends Only modes that ensure you are not harassed by unwanted players :-(

Therefore there is no need to address this :)

Malcipher, Womby, stratigos and 3 others like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I won't hit someone else's mob even if they're dying. I might try to heal them though.

Chatele, stratigos and Leelu like this.
  5. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

There is a need in MPO just to prevent griefing.

Beaumaris and zyxe like this.
  6. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Cant heal anyone out of party.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  7. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Then you already remove even more people from a very unpopulated game.

Chatele, Moonshadow, Gatsu. and 9 others like this.
  8. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

I personally love it. Anything to make the game more interesting.

Life rewards people who finish things not just because they started something.

John Markus likes this.
  9. agra

agra Avatar

Correct.
    These problems have been solved long ago, in many other games, starting in / since 1995.
    For example, the concept of competitive looting disappeared with personal loot. No one else sees what you get, you get your own stuff. Period. Done. All looting complaints instantly cease.
    The concept of last hit gets everything was solved when XP was apportioned through effort and/or contribution versus the fight duration. Put in a minimum amount (sometimes as little as one hit or one heal) and you get a relative amount of experience along with quest credit for the kill. All competition, poof. Gone. Everyone that contributes is rewarded. Special snowflake power, activate!
    Harvesting nodes being personalized (personal loot from them) prevented harvest node stealing, and/or having harvest nodes only visible to each player, uniquely.
    Eventually, it'll get to the point where /ignore removes that player from visibility entirely forever (for PvE scenarios/games/zones), as features progress.

It's not like there aren't innovative & progressive solutions to all these social problems. Portalarium simply hasn't implemented them. It's their world to burn to the ground, after all. :D:cool:

10. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Yes there are those modes, but personally, I would like to meet other players in game. Otherwise I could just go run off and play the single player offline mode and then we have no reason to bother with the whole multiplayer mode at all.

11. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

A simple dmg % would work just fine.

Whoever does the most dmg to an enemy gets the xp/loot.
    /brushes off hands
    Thank me later.

12. Noric

Noric Avatar

I actually do like giving some incentive to the "last hit"... rather it be something like 20% last hit 80% damage dealt.

13. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Ah and then I have that flashback to EQ days when our young group didn't have room for some jerk's alt. So what does he do.. he goes off and logs on his top level wizard and proceeds to nuke everything we fight so that we get zero exp and loot.

Beaumaris, Chatele, Hawkcxvii and 2 others like this.
  14. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

I will have 10 bots all trained for spike dmg camping at every instance of a Boss waiting for you to do my work for me then.

Moonshadow likes this.
  15. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Technicaly I could do this at every mob in the game and force the entire Gamer base to play in Friends only or solo. Just saying.

Moonshadow likes this.
  16. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

You are going to be one popular guy :)

17. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

I Hope you realize Im writing this in a RMT stand point. I would never go such a thing.
    Im simply pointing out the exploit holes. This game may or may not see them, but every game ive ever played that evn tried to use a last hit system has had to change real fast.

You get what I was saying, suddenly there are 200 Chinese rmt bots at every single zone, totally controlling a monopoly on anything worth anything.
    You can throw the Friends only Solo argument at me but that's flawed because our instances are flawed, MP cannot be connected to other game modes, sorry folks, separate characters.

Moonshadow and zyxe like this.
  18. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

I do agree that kill stealing should be less desirable, just not sure how it should be curbed.

Just my own thoughts, though I don't usually think too hard about this kind of stuff...

I'd like to see something like for every 10-25% of damage your PARTY does to an enemy, your party gets 10-25% of the XP between them (single players without a party count as one team). That way if your team has a healer or crowd controller with less damage, and the rest of your team makes up for it, you split the XP. I'd say 10-25% damage isn't nothing and means you participated usually for more than just one hit. I'd personally go for 25% for lower HP enemies and change towards 10% for larger boss-type enemies that may have more than one party reasonably fighting. Maybe also add that if nobody on your party does damage to the enemy for a certain time period (weighted for enemy HP), your party looses claim to the XP.

Not sure what to do about loot, that's probably just going to have to go with the honor system still.

19. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Yes I do realize you are being snarky, hence the at the end. You did have me going there in the beginning though. Point well made; You are a good guy Leo.

20. reesian

reesian Avatar

No, sorry. The system is broken and needs addressed. Just because there is a way around a problem doesn't mean it is the best solution. The person who does tags the mob first should get the experience. Simple.

Chatele and Whyterose Flowers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.