Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Quick FAQ on the new targeting stuff.

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Chris, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Guys, several people have posted complaints here. This is an information thread. There are several other threads to post your complaints to. Please go there. I'm just going to delete your posts in here because it is obscuring people posting useful comments.

Maka, kbruder, Sara Dreygon and 11 others like this.
  2. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Have probably 1000hrs (more if I'm being honest ;)) in ESO.
    The game didn't succeed because of the awful end-game and the horrible lag in the PvP zone. The targeting system was very intuitive, and pretty dang good.

Has to be way to pick your target!

Maka, Hornpipe, Gix and 8 others like this.
  3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Great points. I know @WrathPhoenix would hate me for my comment too... I just want to be careful when duplicating a recently failed game that had it's writing on the wall... that said: it may be a great targetting system as I only played in their beta before I quit I don't recall it well enough.

I think it would be good to note that I'm seeing a lot of positive feedback in the game (when I was in the game) and I look forward to getting back on shortly and going out adventuring now that I have my lot!

Oba Evesor likes this.
  4. Chris

Oddly enough, many of the early complaints on ESO were that it didn't force true reticle targeting. People were expecting Skyrim MMO but I think their compromise was a decent one. I think there is a decent chance we'll end up with something like that but currently we still have some more basic issues to deal with.

5. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

It may not be possible, but I'd like the option to target something further away from me.... but require a LOS. If the fireball has to pass through another enemy to get there, then it detonates on the closer target.

So something lobbed might hit them but not something fired straight on.

6. Zader

Zader Avatar

In non-combat mode; when you put your reticle over the boat for example, is double click your only option for activating/interacting with that object? More specifically, is there an option to bind this to a key press?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

This would definitely be a step in the right direction depending on how you do it.

Hornpipe, Womby and Ice Queen like this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The problem is and has been a player selectes a target because they want to hit it, take it out first, but the game decides that there is a better target. This is the game making the decesions not the player and that is what has been wrong and a problem for over 6 releases.

In no way should the Game make a decision to change targets when the target the player chose is still in range, it may be off the the side or the second one in line.

So yeas the game should not be the one making that choice. especiallt with ranged spells and skills. I can see more for the mele that the weapon hits what is in front of the player but the primary target should always stay the one the player selected, and if that target goes out of range then it should reflect that not just change for convenience.

So once again the player should eb the one making the choice what to target nbot the Game.

9. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yep. It drives me nuts that I can't just continue to attack the thing I've chosen to attack. I want to eliminate a particular threat, not any NPC which happens to run past. I'm off to find the feedback threads...

10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

disagree, I like how aiming works now. i think its silly to be able to choose targets when things are in the way.

11. Chris

Yep, and again, Weinz, this isn't a feedback thread. It is an information thread who want to understand how it works.

As for not letting you choose who you want to target, we do. You choose it by looking at it. We didn't remove choosing targets, we changed it.

Miracle Dragon, Maka, Gix and 10 others like this.
  12. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

@Chris, the targeting block on friendlies seems to be a bit extreme... what is it set to? 20% of their width beyond them?

13. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I think I understand it better now... so it's 45% beyond the width because the 90% cone that we have is touching them at 45% beyond their width... (thoughts on this)

So to explain this in better detail with really bad drawings:
    [​IMG]

Currently the targeting system is attaching the actionable to the closest target in your arch... if there is a friendly that is blocking you at the corner of your arch and you have a clear los to an unfriendly you'll have an issue. This is the same for targeting monsters. I know you're busy and can't respond right now but let me know what you think when you get back... I believe this is how it's working and I'm going to use the same image to give some feedback in another thread ;)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Hornpipe likes this.
  14. Noric

Noric Avatar

Is there any way to turn off the mouse move on right click without tabbing into the different mode?

15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

...i think you may be designing your UI to suit your office full of men. 1-9 is out and 1-8 is uncomfortable.

16. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I played eso and loved it, I played on hours end, got addicted to it. I QUIT for 3 reasons, 1. The language was bad, 2. I can't mention because of offending some peeps so i'll just say, some quests I found offensive and 3. End game sucked.

Cassandra Corax and Ice Queen like this.
  17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Great feedback, Agra.

In the limited time I played R29 QA, it felt to me like I was swinging at multiple enemies while I had no idea, and no game feedback, on which mob one(s) I was actually hitting. I also had no feedback from the game on whether the mob I thought I was hitting was the one I actually, indeed, was hitting. Or - and this is critical - if the mob I thought I was hitting was actually losing health. Multiple times where I had multiple mobs on me I was swinging a sword watching an enemy health bar that wasn't moving, but then suddenly another mob next to them died. .... ! I had no idea I was depleting their health while the one I thought I was chiefly targeting was not taking the primary damage. All in all this results in a feeling that SOTA is giving me a "hope" game play system. I enter combat and just have to hope that that my character stats are good enough to take on multiple mobs in front of me. Because I cannot always see if my blows are hitting the enemy they are actually hitting. Here's the thing. If my sword can hit, and is hitting, two enemies, then I should be seeing the health (and impacts to health) of both of those enemies on my target UI. Else it is just .... hope ... that what I am doing is working. Time with this system might prove me wrong, but this is the early impress the game gives me.

Kara Brae and Duchess Fionwyn like this.
  18. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Non-combat related question: is there any way in the new system that I can swing the camera around to look at my character from the front? (e.g. because I want to examine a spiffy new hat I've put on, or want to do a 'group screenshot' at the end of a joint quest or event)

Black Tortoise and Ice Queen like this.
  19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

@Minerva @Turin2 @WrathPhoenix @Duke William of Serenite @Duke Lorimus @monkeysmack @Roper Docholiday ... I didn't see a way to do this, do you guys (or anyone else) know if this is possible?

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sorry about that. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.