Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Quick FAQ on the new targeting stuff.

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Chris, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Eek, apparently mouse move still borked on overworld. Not intended, I just made a bug for it.

I think we'll be getting some more reticle options for reticles before the final patch of R29.

Not yet, but I expect there will be soon since several people have requested it. :p

Yah, currently we set our target when the attack starts. That can be confusing, especially since some archer stuff takes 1.5 seconds to finish. Where you were looking 1.5 seconds ago is ancient history. With auto attack you don't have a clear idea of exactly when the attack starts which makes it even less obvious. BTW, charged attacks with arrows feel FABULOUS. You pull that arrow back and pick a target and release and BAM, nailed it... or at least that is how it felt until this patch. It still feels that way in reticle mode but now in interactive mode, you left click to charge the attack and then right click to choose the target and you charge forward! :p Creating a bug for that now. :O

2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

@Chris

Id like to see the range increased before you lose the health bar of your target. When i pan slightly to the left or right i lost the visual on my target.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-movement-targeting-system.49645/

So you didn't answer this question @Chris but I've seen some R29 screenshots that indicate other people can swing the camera around in front of them. So either there's some keypress I'm missing or there's a Linux specific bug, in order to help me determine which it would be helpful if someone would answer my question.

4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

You mean hit 'TAB'? At any time?? :)

Chris, Whyterose Flowers and PK U like this.
  5. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

@Chris

As I read through this thread I noticed a trending negative tone on the system and I don't want it to seem like that's the majority opinion so I will chime in. Although I do believe that some of the suggestions/concerns are very valid (Personally I noticed the charged attack system feels a little clunky. There seems to be some dead time between ending one charge and starting the next, no visible indication or feel when you can start the next attack) I also think the system brings a lot more to this game.

For me personally this next targeting system really brings home the idea of your avatar being an extension of yourself. The way you look and interact with the world around you feels much more intuitive and engrossing. Prior to this change the game made me feel like I was simply a puppeteer barking orders and commanding this entity known as Woden around the world.

Just wanted to toss that out there; Development is a process and once the technicalities are worked out I think this system would be all in all a good addition. Keep up the great work.

~Woden

6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I hit tab at any time and I switch mode, whatever mode I'm in my avatar turns to face away from the camera. I'm asking if there's a specific way to stop my avatar doing that in any mode.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

But that is where the target and your ability to cause damage is facing as well.. you'd rather have that unlinked?

8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yes, as I described above, so that I can take screenshots of something other than the back of my avatar's head. Tell me how this screenshot was taken.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

F9 to hide the UI if I'm not mistaken, and then F11 for a screenshot. She is in interactive mode (as I previously mentioned, hit TAB), not targeted.. might have the reticle to 0 visibility. Moved the camera by right-click and hold and drag, like the old method, still the same. Am I missing something?

Oba Evesor likes this.
  10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

So thanks for finally answering my question I guess, not sure why it needed to be so complicated.

11. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

I'll give that a shot! :)

Its not just bow though. Any arrow will do it, whether its Ice or Fire or whatever.
    If the target is in front of me, biting me, clipping through me it picks a different target beyond the one in front on me.
    I'll play around with it today.
    :D

12. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

You missed nada! @Wintermute of CoF I'll add that /visible will make landscape shots even better. :)

13. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

hmmm i noticed when i was venturing, a person ran in front of my cross hair and when i looked at my chat window , my chat box was stuck on their name. had to delete that chat window an redo a new one to get rid of his name so i don't accidentally talk to him when I want to talk to someone else. There needs to be a way to remove anyone's name from the chat window when you are done chatting with them and put you back in default chat mode.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  14. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Typing "Bye" should close it.

Chatele likes this.
  15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Sounds like maybe a bug when your chat changed to the other person.. but as for the name locked in the chat, I think it has been this way forever, this was not because of the change to targeting/combat. Type /l in the chat window to put your chat back to 'normal'.

edit: ohhh maybe you mean the tab states a persons name, and i think insinious mentioned one way to remove it.. the other seems to be the way you have discovered! :)

Chatele likes this.
  16. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

With the new mode you don't have to hit tab. In update 405 you're now able to just spin your mouse and look backward if you're not moving.

17. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

That is very annoying having to do that. I know it has nothing to do with new targeting, and it's been there forever, I don't like it. Problem is now it happens if they are in your cross hair. How hard is it to put an option in the chat drop down box to remove player name and revert back to regular chat? Every time I log in my chat box says" To persons name:
    That is so aggravating, especially if there are a lot of peeps on running pass you, type /l or bye all the time is annoying. They shouldn't be in my chat window unless I specifically click on them. Wish they could fix this. And make it that you have to interact with them by selecting them and click on them.

18. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I think it IS a linux specific bug. I was only able to see my face last night when I was sitting. Think it's related to the being stuck in walk animation.

19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

But no one using linux is ever not moving if they're just standing there.

20. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

That isn't normal behavior, bug report it. It should not persist for more than a few meters if you walk away, and never upon relog.
    As for the aggressive tone, no need for it, I will refrain from offering or answering anything else for you have a nice day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.