Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Quick FAQ on the new targeting stuff.

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Chris, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Chris mentioned it if you read the op;)

Moonshadow and Chris like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yep, R command will return in tomorrow's build. BTW, keep the questions coming and I'll keep updating the FAQ.

3. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I agree with this 100% , by not letting us choose our target you are removing skill from the game.. ( This should be an option for those who want the game to do so but it should NOT be force upon us ).
    There may be situations where I do not want the hit the first or closest target. It has happened before were a target was actually helping me by fighting another enemy..( A wolf was attacking a skeleton ) So stood beside it and was hitting the skeleton too.. ( It was a 2 on one moment or for a while at least... until the skeleton died and then the wolf started attacking me ) but this scenario would not be possible with the system deciding my target as it would probably choose the wolf as it was the closes to me..

We need a way to choose our target or another Key Like the TAB key so we can circle through possible enemies/targets..

Womby, Leelu, Kara Brae and 5 others like this.
  4. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

What does the R key do again?

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It toggles the glyph combo mode.

6. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

Hate to say it....but this is a terrible solution for a dedicated healer. You're making it so that dedicated healing is impossible.....unless the ground area targeted is so large that it covers every possible movement of a "targeted" player within the cast time of the spell? And then....what are the focus costs associated? Will the heal cast on multiple players within that area? So are now all heals targeted area effect heals? Seems you'll have to change the entire healing spell structure.

I love this game but it feels like you have eliminated my playstyle with this change. I'll give it a try after patch 2.....but I'm pretty disappointed right now.

Leelu, Kara Brae, Ice Queen and 3 others like this.
  7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

That's not how this works... when you fire the spell if you had it in the correct target then it works even if they don't remain in the correct target location...

8. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

What if two players are stacked in the same spot? Which player does it heal? Does it highlight the targeted player?

9. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

- I can move in all the scenes using the right mouse button but on the overland map I still need to use the WASD keys. Will this be fixed so I can use the right mouse button everywhere to move or am I missing something?

- The reticle can faded in and out but is there, or will there be, a way to adjust the size?

Otherwise good job so far, already it is much better than last week and I really like the improvements. Keep up the good work.

Zader and Chris like this.
  10. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

They try to copy Elder Scrolls Online. In ESO all heals were AOE spells which is indeed very boring...

Black Tortoise and Leelu like this.
  11. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I don't have questions at this point. I just wanted to chime in that the bulk of my concerns about the combat changes have been resolved with the latest patch. I am pretty much able to fight the way that works for me and I am VERY grateful for that.

The only thing that is still problematic when fighting as an archer is targeting mobs when I kite and trying to kill them one-by-one in the order *I* choose, not the order that the camera angle decides on. Standing still and allowing mobs of spiders, wolves, skellies or whatever to gank me just so I can hopefully hit *one* target enough times to kill it just isn't working. Not sure if or when this can be resolved, I have no suggestion for a solution other than give me back *Tab Targeting*...lol. Seems like that's off the table though so I'll keep trying to see if archery is something I'll stick with or go back to melee.

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It is very confusing that on the overland map we suddenly have the old way of moving around. My first impulse when seeing the mouse cursor on the overland map was, that I now can click on the ground an the avatar will walk there. Is there an adjustment for the movement on the overland map planned?

Hornpipe, Gix and Link_of_Hyrule like this.
  13. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Yes this is a concern that more than a few users have at the moment , ( including me ) they should add this function back as a key that we can assign to another key or mouse button..

Acred and Duchess Fionwyn like this.
  14. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

15. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

Ok. So then this means healing has been diluted to a "run into the group and spam ae heals" game...

What is going to be done to ensure that healing is a playstyle that is challenging and interesting? Spamming ae heals is, indeed, very boring....and it requires no skill. The whole point of being able to target heal players is that you have to manage where you direct your heals. You are forced to pay attention to the well-being of the group.

With ae heals I don't have to pay attention at all. I can stand in the fray and spam heals until it's over....There is no decision making process.....and you may as well just give us one heal. Changing range isnt going to make much of a difference...

And to add to this....will purify function the same way? It has the same issues with targeting right now. Impossible to target someone and cast it during a fight.

I'm very concerned and hope that this is being considered as a serious issue. I hope someone on staff has played a dedicated healer in the past and tests some group play with this new system.

16. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Yes we need another option for targeting, but for some strange reason we have this "new" system forced upon us with no choice. Since the game is unplayable for me using a Bow, I think its best for me to wait until this issue is resolved.

@Chris please go pick up a bow and try to play the game now, you will see how difficult it is. If you feel some need to continue with this new combat style, please don't force others, please allow us to choose the original system. I can't click on someone to wave to them anymore or to pick up things etc, its VERY frustrating but I have other games to play until this is addressed hopefully with a CHOICE.

17. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Yes its sad we are forced into using this system from Elder Scrolls, I am unsure why we cannot have a CHOICE in the original design and the Elder Scrolls way, this makes me glad I never played Elder Scrolls.

18. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Played as an Archer all day yesterday.

I prefer this system, with some caveats.

Bow targeting is still fubar. @Chris in your vid it works fine, your targets are stationary and its a safe environment.
    As soon as you get into a open-world situation or have multiple targets you will start shooting at random stuff. If you have one monster directly in front of you, and he is clipping into you (which happens constantly), you'll stop targeting him. As if the system is showing him just behind you, yet the target 29m off in the distance is registering as in front of you, so that then becomes your target. Now you're fighting two wolves.
    Kite, right?
    Wrong. Any turning of the camera will pick a new target. So rabbits, deer, other monsters are now all involved in this lil scrum that was supposed to be just me and one wolf.

I'm sure this is stuff ya know, delete this post as necessary if it too cumbersome/off topic for this thread. :p

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Chris, is there a way to turn off moving when I press both mouse buttons in cursor mode?

20. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

I did frick-a-see a few rabbits while melting some bandits last night. Stray fire arrow and Shoooosh no more fur!

Hornpipe, Chatele and Oba Evesor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.