Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Quick FAQ on the new targeting stuff.

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Chris, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Er, what aggressive tone?

2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Same here. They offered their opinion about suggestions that they wished the Devs would fix or change. There was nothing personal directed at anyone.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  3. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

If this is here to stay, will there be any adjustment to range damage skills to compensate for the misses, interceptions, and higher degree of difficulty?

Moiseyev Trueden and PK U like this.
  4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Last 2 releases I played ranged and loved it, now i cant touch it for long. With that said im loving melee again.

Atm ranged is alot more work, physically harder on the body, prob doing werk on my mouse to. Its really hard to kite and thats before you add packs of mobs. It will take time, I know they know these things.

Lazlo and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

@Chris is reticle height tied to how far you scroll out?
    Maybe if the target is too close, and short (wolves) I'm actually looking 'over ' him if I'm scrolled all the way out. I have to point my camera at a 90 degree and look strait down at the target in some cases.
    Something is up tho.

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I honestly found Ranged easier to target and attack with, and found Melee harder to get used to the targeting :) oh well... things are flowing well over here.

7. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Yeah I noticed that on close ups I had to aim my bolts a little lower..

8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Well, with the new system you can shoot and hit anything within the range of whatever skill or spell that you're using, which sometimes is a greater range than the tab targeting in the old system. However, I don't think there's any question that you will still do significantly less damage per xp spent under the new system with ranged attacks though. If you are at long range and cast a fire arrow, the cast time, flight time and mob pacing will result in quite a few misses no matter how good your aim might be. In that case you are out the focus and the time.

9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Ahh, so magic, not ranged.. I thought you were talking about bows and arrows. I'm not sure if I'm doing less damage with my ranged spells, but the bow is doing probably the correct damage as it always has, at my currently low levels. What did you used to output for damage, and at what levels? Are your old levels comparable to your current levels to compare damages?

At my low levels, I often miss with my ranged spells depending on many factors, like mob levels.. so what levels are you? And what about the mobs?

Not picking on you, I just like some more data before I can take some of whats being said at face value.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I just tried the Q and E keys in target and cursor modes but it still rotates the camera as well. :(

11. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't mean that ranged spells or skills do any less damage when they hit, I just mean that they do less damage per use because you will miss or get intercepted sometimes under the new system where you couldn't under the old. So if they are not adjusted in any way, all of those spells and skills must be weaker than they were before.

12. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

oh, well I don't miss with the new system.. so I can't relate. Targeting is fine so far, it took a little getting used to though.

13. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Aggressive tone? Are you kidding me? This is a joke right? Where was I aggressive? If I was, sorry, I was frustrated with the problem NOT WITH you, you gaved good advice but I felt it didn't resolve the issue permanently, if there are more then one person running around in your cross hairs. Wasn't angry at you at all.

14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I'm not on my computer right now to try it out, but I am sure I had tabbed into cursor mode, zoomed out with the mouse wheel and moved the camera by holding the right mouse button down without moving with WASD. I take most screenshots with the Snipping tool that comes with Windows, not with F11.

Fister Magee likes this.
  15. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yep, don't worry, Linux bug.

16. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yah, Linux is having all kinds of problems right now. Very sorry and looking into the issue.

As for ranged, I actually find it easier hit something! Maybe not always what I wanted to hit on moving targets but especially with auto attack, it is super easy. Burningtoad played with it some today and he referred to it as monster radar with auto attack on because it was hitting stuff he couldn't even see due to high grass! :p Poor rabbits...

17. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

@Chris I would like a blanked out reticle in cursor mode - actually the hair cross is not very important in this mode ;) Apart from that I like the target mode - after some patches and some familiarization :)

18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Instead of just hide the reticle altogether via option, having reticle hide in cursor mode and then come back when we're in reticle mode would be useful.

But keep in mind that even if you're in cursor mode, the targeting still relies on the reticle regardless of where your character is facing. That's probably why the reticle is hidden when we switch to cursor mode at the moment.

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

. I havent tried any ranged stuff yet, but is the issue with itatm that you have to keep the reticle on your target till the attack actually hits?

20. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

No, as long as they glow, they are targeted, to keep them glowing, keep the cursor 'towards' them, if you need to see their nameplate as a target, then yes you need to have the reticle on them currently. I found targeting with the bow easier than tab targeting ever was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.