Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Quick FAQ on the new targeting stuff.

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Chris, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I agree but in just trying to figure out eaxctly what the issue with ranged targetting is atm thats giving people trouble

2. RF Lord Marshall

RF Lord Marshall Avatar

The Problem is... I chose one Target I want to hit and I want to keep hit it while I walk back in range. I will just hit this Target until it is Dead.
    I don't want to hit something !!!
    And I want to TAb from one Target to the other one.

That is all I want.

3. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I find it hard keeping the cross hairs on moving targets as an archer .....

Goratas Barus and Lord Barugon like this.
  4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Well, that is the thing o_O As far as I can tell, you can longer lock onto a single target in the approaching mob and focus fire on it until it is dead :eek: It keeps switching to whichever member of the mob is closest :confused: So instead of one dead foe, I have several wounded foes who surround me and tear me to pieces :eek: Am I missing something?

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Also have it visible if you hold down the right mouse button.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Exactly!

7. agra

agra Avatar

That's exactly how it works today, even if you use the reticle or highlight it with the cursor. Nearest target is always preferred.
    Overall, because of this 'feature', ranged combat is worse than before, for me.
    Also, the issue of range comes into play. Before, you knew your range, because it wouldn't hard lock the target with tab unless it was in range, or you clicked on it.
    Now? You get to guess. You can have it in the reticle, or under the cursor, fire a ranged attack, and it just goes into the ground. Hurray, now you get to wait on recast (or pray another ranged attack appears in your deck) inch a little closer, and try again.
    Then, on the rare chance you manage the attack actually hits the creature, you have to keep it in the reticle as it paths like a crazy drunken dwarf all over the landscape, just to keep further attacks on it, except woops, your auto attack just picked a random target, or your next ranged attack picked a random near target 45 degrees off the screen. All while you're "doing it right".

How is this skill, again? Oh right, it's not. It's just tedious annoyance, imho.

8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I agree, this is a problem

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  9. RF Lord Marshall

RF Lord Marshall Avatar

I go offline for today... I just do not annoy it.

This is the Contoling for Console... if I would like to play on Console I would buy me one.
    If your goal is to make this Game playable for Console so give them this Contolling....

BUT give us our gameplay back.

10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Must be a linux bug (surprise surprise) as there seems to be no way for me to look at my avatar's face in this game. Any attempt to rotate around (and I use "interactive" or cursor mode, the targeting mode is insane...) will always just force my avatar to look away.

Lord Barugon likes this.
  11. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Yes, but when you're shooting flames out of your body through a hovering aiming device towards a zombie and a walking skeleton steps into it's path, naturally the flames should strike the walking skeleton. That's just how things work in the real world, duh.

12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The problem is that sometimes you try to kill a walking skeleton in front of you, but somehow the flame shoot pass it and hit a zombie behind that skeleton instead. I kid you not.

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Maybe I wasn't very clear o_O When say, three foes are charging at you, I want to keep attacking the one I struck first , not the guys who are to his left and right and who happen to be closer now (i.e., but not in the same line of fire) :rolleyes:

14. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

But that's not how this has been described. Whatever you're targeting when you initiate the spell, no matter where you're looking when you actually start shooting flames out of your body, that is where the flames will go to. It doesn't matter how things work in the real world because the game isn't set there.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is not real life, it's a game and this targeting system only makes it more frustrating. I experience real life every day; I don't necessarily need that in my games.

16. helm

helm Avatar

At least in archery, the distance has got almost nothing to do with choice of the target (except when clearly out of range), and almost everything to do with what one is actually targeting (either accidentally or intentionally). The system does NOT, I repeat NOT, choose the target, the player does. Just tested it again, to make sure there has not been some odd regression in 407. In fact, the targeting system itself (the red highlight) is so easy and accurate that it would be possible for me to play "Für Elise" using free attacks, with five guys coming at me, if each would sound a different ABCDE note when hit, and they would not come in a single file or too tight a group.

Not everyone wants to keep attacking the one struck first, or necessarily regard it as an optimal strategy. If a bunch of foes were charging at me, I would probably want to deal with them as a group, not to single out someone. Suppose for example that I were fighting a bunch of elves. The melee ones would chase after me, so I would probably try to slow them down (e.g. using Disabling shot or water magic, or rooting). The elven archers I would probably consider to be the most serious threat to me, and therefore I would generally try to deal with first, by first blinding them and then killing them. I would use a full unlocked deck so I would need to adjust my actions based on the glyphs I get. This needs switching targets countless times at will during the fight, and this is exactly what the current targeting system facilitates, makes easy. Whereas the tab system is hopelessly clumsy and unpredictable for that kind of dynamic targeting. Therefore I hope that if popular demand leads to implementing of any kind of target "locking", there would be a way to disable it from game options (note target "locking" is not at all the same thing as target marking, which would actually be a cool feature)

Also due to popular demand, the targeting has been made extremely forgiving perhaps even too much, so that you don't even need to target the broad side of the barn in order to choose it as a target, you just wave your mouse at its general direction, which can indeed give the impression of "game choosing the target", especially if there are no other targets around. All this is just a matter of tuning however.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

very intelligent insight (amongst many others) that is winning me over. hopefully this system evolves well, right now i just want to give in and beg for the old system back ;)

18. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

There were a lot of things in that scenario that are not realistic. That was the joke (apparently not a very good one).

19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

What this change really did was to change the game play from tactical RPG like dragon age to 1st/3rd person RPG like Skyrim/Fallout.

20. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Thanks Chris!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.