R29 postmortem saddened by...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I was sad to hear a couple thing and hope that the devs reconsider.

1. Max durability not taking a (perma)hit on repair. Star calls this perma death for gear but its the natural effect of gear constantly being beat up. His argument is you can but or make repair kits, well yea I agree to a point but as an amor smith id rather sell more weapons and armor on my vendor than repair kits. I know there are many posts alread about this I just ask that devs keep an open mind here because its the main reason why Uo ecomony worked well, by replacing broken or lost stuff.

2. Monster looting, I get chris's explanation and thank you. spinning up extra games to keep scene open wont work well, please reconsider #1.

Thanks for your time, repair kits /smith repair is a cool system and all but making and selling gear would be more fun. This is less of a earley release thing and more of a long term issue. Because once people have thier gear they wont need new stuff. In most mmos you craft very little once you get ur what ever. I fear some of this might happen here. Crafting (smithy) in wow is a bad joke.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Sota Babe, Aimend, Winfield and 14 others like this.
  2. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

But it breaks my immersion if my wep is destroyed after a certain amount of use!
    This comes from someone who owns a sword that is just as good as the day it was forged over 1200 years ago. With proper care it will last another 1200 years.

(please don't berate me for the use of immersion, figured I'd jump on that bandwagon like everyone else:) )

Duke Olahorand, Maka, Chatele and 8 others like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Ronan,

Nah, I think its a proper complaint. :D I think its a bit dumb to make weapons break easily, just because people want to make money off of selling them.

I still think that when they're low durability, that when you use them in battle, they have a chance to break and be inoperable and unequipable, and the chance would be greater the closer you reach to 0 durability. Possibly, this would involve a perma-hit. But it would be an incentive to keep a weapon in top shape -- which not everyone would do, because some people will be lazy about it. So some would break their weapons, then pay for repairs or buy a new one.

There also needs to be a system to contract with other players for gear repairs, using a vendor.

kbruder, 4EverLost, Cally and 5 others like this.
  4. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I think the chance of break on repair, as they mentioned should really be explored. Skill of the blacksmith, state of disrepair, crafting station, even materials used for the repair could all come into play.

IIRC one of the original ideas had the item getting more and more expensive to repair each time it needed it until eventually you really need to consider is it just best to set it on the mantle and make something new. However that goes hand in hand with weapon affinity and having it more powerful to you the more use it.

Both of these things together could be used to strengthen the player market. As they said, repairing and forging economically might be the same, however keeping the influx of new crafted gear into the populous was a big incentive to me when it was mentioned in the kickstarter.

5. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

100% agree, every wipe we rush to build the best gear and then just collect cash. Once everyone has their "god set" what's the point of being a crafter? I don't see how have we can have a viable economy when everything repairable and nothing can truly be lost.

Alchemy/arrows/food are the only viable professions.

Aimend, Kaisa, Juzzie and 12 others like this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Btw, to the OP; there have been times already in pre-alpha where I've bought a new weapon because I didn't want to take the effort and gold to repair an old one.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, we have yet to see if players will really think its worth it to eat food, or whether food will just become a junk item. We also have yet to see if potions will be worthwhile compared to spell casting.

Kaisa, Juzzie, Cally and 5 others like this.
  8. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Same here redfish. Placed the wep that needed repair in a chest and figured I'd get back to it one of these days.
    Aartemis, agree with the chance to break while repairing based on quality of station and tools. That sword I have I only permit one person to repair it and he's getting old!

9. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I'm glad gear can't be broken completely. If it could, I could see me putting my nicest set up and only using it on rare occasions for fear of it getting damaged too much and losing it. I'd just have to go with using something basic and cheap to keep from having to worry about my gear breaking down completely. In that case I'd just take blacksmithing up myself and make the cheap stuff myself. Since it can't be broken atm though, I don't have any desire to do blacksmithing, and I'm more likely to buy from others.

10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

No one is suggesting break easily, say an item has 120 max durability and each repair eats 1 max. Thats 120 repairs before it breats 4,6,8 months i fear blacksmiths wont be crafting weapons much 6 months in.

11. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

they just need to make repair kits harder to make, way harder. I never liked handing over my prized sword on a wish and prayer it would come back to me from the smith. in the end, before repair kits, I just let my own smith repair my things.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Goes back to my points id rather make and sell weapons than repair kits. Wow and all major mmos have permanet gear and crafting in all of those is retarded. Uo has it where gear breaks down or gets lost and its the best crafting game ever made.

13. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

I agree, personally I hate spawn grubbing thieves. I hate having to chase it down. can we compromise and leave that one out, I will give you credit for picking my corps before Id let the spawn have it. lol

Chatele and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

But since your nicest set is crafted, what is the fear of losing it? At worst, if it breaks completely then you can salvage it for scrap and create the same thing again. With 100% crafted gear, and no real special drops, I don't see the complaint of gear breakage.

Crafted economy is going to need to have item degredation at some point. As it is, you need to go to a crafter at some point to repair the max durability back up, but if there was even a 1% hit on this per full set of durability incurred, it would help spur crafters to actually craft items. I don't want to run a weapon repair shop, I want to sell weapons.

Aimend, Kaisa, 4EverLost and 4 others like this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Someone posted earlier, The most crafted item in the game will be repair kits.

Thats fail imop !

Aimend, GraveDncer and Fister Magee like this.
  16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I liked the UO system. Armor/weapons are relatively slowly damaged but can be repaired by someone with actual blacksmithing skills. If you didn't have some blacksmith skill, you couldn't repair.

This system:

1) added realism to the game
    2) created a paid profession (blacksmithing)
    3) wasn't too hard on the players (you didn't have to constantly repair stuff)

Edit: Agree that items can't be immortal. So each repair successively weakens the item. So first repair maybe item is at 90% max durability, etc.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I agree with points 1-3

Its makes for a simple entry system, remaking gear however will support the longer term game.

Aimend, Stahlknecht, Cally and 3 others like this.
  18. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

What about the system they want to implement that gives special bonuses to gear after its been used for a long time, like killing 10,000 skeletons? Or using player crafted gear to populate loot tables? Neither of those happen if all gear gets destroyed eventually or when sold to a vendor. Eventially we will be getting player crafted gear on drops and salvaging that. That's permanently destroying it.

19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

The problem is gear grind (been there done that, don't want to do it again) and pricing, I suspect blacksmiths will charge outrageous prices for gear if we have to constantly buy it because it breaks completely.

My original thinking was, I'll just throw my mats at guildies/friends/family so that they can have an easier time at skilling their crafts and get them to make the stuff I can't buy from peoples vendors, since I'm not big on crafting myself except for alchemy and cooking.

This discussion has made me to start to think though, just in case it's ever changed, I need to start talking to them all and plan to have us all pick crafting professions so that we can split them among us and have several crafters of each skill, and not have to buy from other players for gear if at all possible. That way we can also just tell people to give us the mats and we'll craft your items for free. That may just be the best option for me and the people we play with, and it could provide players an easier cheap way to get their craftables without having to pay outrageous prices. :)

Cianna, Dantuin, Chatele and 3 others like this.
  20. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

What if there was a tradeoff, instead of simply perma-damage? Heres what I'm thinking:

If a player uses an item and it gets down to half of it's max durability (4/50, max durability 100), they can continue using repair kits but if they use the item it has a chance to take permanent damage on a critical fail. So they might notice a message "Your weapon has been damaged" and it shows max durability is now 98.

This gives benefits for getting items repaired by a skilled craftsman (and we DO need a secure repair option). It also allows players who don't care about a set of gear to use it until it breaks, then replace it. Both benefit the player crafting economy.

I hope that once a item gets a special bonus, then they have either kept it in good enough shape to be worthwhile to use, or we can look at making abilities salvagable. Perhaps that "skeleton slayer" sword, when salvaged, gives a "bone splinter" that can be socketed into another weapon and provides half the bonuses of the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.