Can we have a Project Update that is not trying to sell me something."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oren, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

I prefer this from the flying circus

Devoid and Fox_Cunning like this.
  2. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

This seemed to be a "Spiderman thread" since the beginning, but I'm happy to see that it's turning into a Monty Python thread, which is a lot better :D

We may even get into this kind of argument:

rild likes this.
  3. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Hmmm...no, totally different.:rolleyes:

Glad you're enjoying the show, friend.;)

4. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Actually its nice to see Im not the only one "Gimmie" goes all batshit on :)

BillRoy likes this.
  5. twinturbonet

twinturbonet Avatar

I don't mind that this stuff is available for sale as well, however, I would never spend $200.00 on an in-game house. It's a shame too, because that's an addon that I'm looking forward to. I wish it would be sold on in-game currency.

I would rather pay $49.99 to buy the game and use in-game currency then F2P with microtransactions.

tekkamansoul and BillRoy like this.
  6. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Property lots, houses and basements will all be available for in-game currency. There is a limited quantity of them, so not everyone can have one but RL cash purchase is *not* the only way to get one.

rild, Fireangel, twinturbonet and 2 others like this.
  7. High Baron Asguard

actually its both, RG has said the game will sell around the $60 mark AND they have stuck microtransactions in too.

BillRoy likes this.
  8. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

You will be able to buy deeds and homes with in game currency. These pre launch sales gaurantee the person buying the items that there will be a plot for them in episode 1.

rild likes this.
  9. twinturbonet

twinturbonet Avatar

Oh okay. I'm calm again. thanks :)

rild and Mordecai like this.
  10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

There will be some add-on purchases after launch, but you have to be careful when you throw out the term 'microtransactions.' The definition isn't that narrow, and it could mean different things to different people. Some people would see it as a dollar here, a dollar there, and pretty soon you've spent $20 that month. On the other end, it could mean that they occasionally have extra content like a skill tree to offer for real-life money.

I'm pretty sure, based on RG's talks, that it will be closer to the latter so there wouldn't be tons of little transactions that eat your wallet.

Dame Lori likes this.
  11. High Baron Asguard

Skill tree is extra contend, thats DLC or Expansion packs, ie good

having to buy houses with real money (houses which we were actually promised would be avaliable in game during kickstarter) and fishing poles and whatever else comes next is microtransactions in a pay to play game, ie BAD especially when RG had said specifically he wouldn't be doing it and then did it anyway.

12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

So far, there has been nothing that states there will be zero houses available after launch. The fishing pole is neat with no wear, but as they stated, there will be other poles. I think part of the idea around the pole might be to let people start fishing at a higher level as soon as they start playing without waiting for the crafters to catch up and make them higher level poles. There is also a chance that there are gold-purchased poles that are better than the one in the store.

In my opinion, we have nothing to worry about, and these things are hardly the sign of a pay-to-win design strategy. When they start charging for item repair, I'll start worrying.

Fox_Cunning, BillRoy and Dame Lori like this.
  13. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Actually that IS what is meant by the term Pay to Win as anyone who has played a free to play MMO or other microtransaction focused game with a cash shop knows. You are paying for progress and getting ahead with cash, or paying for more powerful items than the norm with cash.

At the moment as far as I am aware it is just a fishing pole that doesn't require repair and (presumably) looks special compared to normal ones. That sort of approach is ok - if you bought it then you probably don't want your fancy new fishing rod to break after fifty uses or something.

BillRoy likes this.
  14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I see your point however, I don't see it as the predecessor or a sign of a pay-to-win, cash-shop design strategy. You could say that the person gets a head start, sure. But it's fishing. It's not an advantage on the battlefield of PvP. All we know is that it has no wear, and that other poles will have the same or similar abilities (assuming plus wear). It could be a middle of the road pole, for all we know and meant as a way for those who know they want to be fishermen to not have to wait for crafters to learn how to make them. As I said, I'm not worried yet.

15. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

More like "MacroTransaction"....o_O

LoneStranger likes this.
  16. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Me too, no point in getting wound up at least 'til the beta is underway, it's all speculation until then really.

17. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Happy to share your burden, friend.:D

18. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

We would need to agree on the definition of WINNING first...hehe

My stance remains that the quest side of the game will be fun but getting to hang out in the persistent world with the likes of you all will be just as fun if not more fun. Many of the add-on items are risky investments for those that buy, because we don't know the whole story yet. I still look at it as supporting the game development vs. getting something that wins the game for me.

rild, BillRoy and MagiK like this.
  19. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

I didnt buy any thing in this game with the thought to gain, but with the idea I wanted the game made.
    Plus I can think of a lot of hysterical things to do wiht an indestructible fishing pole....

majoria70 and BillRoy like this.
  20. High Baron Asguard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.