Am I the only one who doesn't want to play card game combat??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Toff, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Instead of using specific skills to counter, there should be TACTICS that counter. Maybe ranged nuke spells take up more room, either in talent tree builds, or fatigue costs, or somehow in the ability deal. Whereas defenses don't take up as much, and melee takes up very little. It becomes possible to have a mage hunter build that can put up most if not all anti-spell defenses, and then do one or two melee attacks. Not great at taking out a duelist type build, which will have auto parry and riposte, but against a clothy? "I block your nuke, yeah, and your backup nuke, and then run up and stabby stab."

Then the duelist beats the mage hunter, because all those anti-spell effects are useless against the sword, and the duelist eats your one or two basic thrusts for breakfast. Then there's a polearm guy who kites the duelist to death with root and slow moves and slightly better range, while wearing heavier armor. Next up we see a mage, who nukes down the polearm guy. Then along comes a stealth archer, who goes sniper style on the mage, who gets a headshot arrow crit with silencing venom on the arrowhead. Along comes a heavy armor hammer and shield dude who idly wonders what that plinking sound coming from his helmet is before he introduces the archer's skull to his feet in one smooth motion. And on and on.

THAT kind of rock paper scissors lizard spock rotation works great, because each is a tactical approach, not a single insta-win ability.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't like always losing to one particular guy. However it usually turns out that there is one style that is a pain in the butt for another style. Street Fighter 2 was an example of a game that seemed to have a character that was a weakness for another character etc etc. However they seemed to work that out in Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition and later games.

So each character had options to not always be dominated by a particular style. However if you were playing Guile, and somebody was playing Vega you would play differently than playing guile against Ryu. However there weren't characters that totally dominated other characters anymore.

Although I hope there is a sense of ballance, and I hope the strategy is different between fighting an archer vs fighting a bludgeoner, I don't hope that one style doesn't always dominate another. Like I can imagine that Archery might easily have a bit of an advantage over mages. Maybe there is going to be a battle of the wits between the two, and a lot of hiding behind stuff and waiting for somebody to make a mistake. Honestly just looking at the skills (on paper), I don't see how a mage can beat an archer one on one. Seems to me an archer should have the upper hand because they can shoot arrows to disrupt mages from casting. So I'm sure tactics will have to come into play.

Ravicus Domdred and ASW like this.
  3. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Rapid fire spells (I'm guessing lightning). Sneak up duck behind cover, jump out, lightning, back behind cover. Turn the game into an FPS :p

4. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Give a play cards game combat a chance.

5. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Wow that was a good one.

tekkamansoul likes this.
  6. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Since there are no preset classes, it will be VERY possible for you to build a character that loses to certain other builds 100% of the time. Until you change your build to close the gaping hole in your defenses. Hopefully it won't be possible to build a super effective character who always wins, but I'm sure hundreds of thousands if not millions of players will be trying to do just that. There will, most likely, be somewhat optimum builds. Builds that are better at handling MOST approaches, MOST situations. If that turns out to be the case, those builds will compete, and hopefully there will be several competing builds at the top of the heap, instead of just one or two perfect builds.

At that point, it becomes the job of the devs to increase the pool of competing builds, alternate tactics, and variations.

Isaiah likes this.
  7. Indi

Indi Avatar

This combat system is why I will not be playing this game. Such a shame.

Ara, Silvas and Luitpold like this.
  8. monxter

monxter Avatar

The current implemented combat system or the planned system?

9. Batoche1864

Batoche1864 Avatar

I am interested to see how the card based combat works out. I don't know if I will like it or not but I am certainly willing to give it a try.

It will give a more realistic flow to melee combat where things are in a constant state of flux. Just because you know how to execute a particular maneuver doesn't mean you're able to achieve that execution at will.

The thing I'm most interested to see is the difference in predictability between melee and ranged combat. I'm hoping ranged has less randomness as you're far more able to achieve what you wish with sufficient concentration.

Basically with range between combatants the factors to consider would be base concentration (or what ever name for the metric you wish) and then modified by other events in the combat, near misses to yourself and damage to yourself. If an enemy is right there whacking you while you're trying to perform an act that limits your ability to respond defensively then I'd like to see a great deal of randomness in how effective you are. I do mean randomness and not just the standard push back most other games have where as the ranged or caster player levels up he takes skills that reduce the push back from being attacked and at some level the player can act at will like the melee players do in those systems.

If the card based combat pulls that off reasonably I'll be quite happy with it

10. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

From what I've seen I'm really looking forward to trying it. A month ago I would have agreed with the OP. I'm completely converted as of now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Mishri, Khloec and Ned888 like this.
  11. Hayate

Hayate Avatar

The combat is worth a try and I'm not sure card is the right term for it. Work still to be done since it's early on but it was still fun to test out.

Mishri likes this.
  12. scorn

scorn Avatar

I'm am with most of you guys, i for one don't fill like the cards aspect adds any thing to my game play but removes it, I mean if you wanna add decks to tournaments or something, that's fine but please don't penalize / force me to use it for better cast speeds, I have read a lot of posts most of you keep referring this game to real life...It's not.... it's a game. Also looking for a reason for me at lest too say naw here it is , So i get a sword attack but can only use it win the game tells me i can/ ie draws it and only if i looking at the bottom of my screen, OK fine i look down boom it's a fireball to my face,cause i had to look down to see what skill's i may or may not have.
    You can say all you want about me pressing 1 to 5 buttons with skills but when you rember the skills your game immersion ie fun goes up because your not looking down too see what skills you my or may not have.

I know your trying something new good job .

But please don't force me to use it , this is my op no offence to anyone !
    or at lest let though's of use that rather use the locked skill bar do so since, this game was made for the payer base!

Ara likes this.
  13. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

Everyone should log in and try it, there are threads popping up with tips on the deck system and people seem to be enjoying it. Lets not knock it till we try it folks!

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'm actually a fan of this now that I've seen it. I just think it will take a few releases to get it balanced correctly.

Even now there is some nuance involved, and that's good.

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I haven't been able to test the card combat yet but from what I have read and seen it looks interesting. At least it is something different from the common MMORPG-like combat systems you see in WoW for example. And this alone is good.
    I am so fed up with this WoW-combat system. It is repetitve, boring and has been done to death in games. I can't stand it anymore, I simply hate it. I don't want to play any game with such a combat system anymore and therefore I am glad that the devs tried something new. Maybe it is not perfect but at least it is not a WoW-like combat system.

16. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

I'm liking it so far. I think it would work much better in a turn-based RPG, but an MMO (or SMPO or whatever you want to call it) has to be real-time.

It's going to take a lot of balancing and tweaking.

17. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yeah same here. Just cause something is "new" don't mean it is good. I would take WoW combat system any day before this one. Having to stare at a hotbar and don't have access to my learned skills or spells is not something i will even try. How anyone can favor not having focus on the battle going on in front of me and instead favor looking at a hotbar is nothing but amazing.

All skills should be availabe all the time and all should be on my keyboard, not on a hotbar. That way i can focus on the fight going on instead of looking at a hotbar, this is basics when it comes to a working and skill based combat system where i adapt and respond to my opponent and not respond to the skills or spells the game allow me to use at any given time.

Joviex, scorn and Sir Asguard like this.
  18. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I heal in wow and I spend 99% of my time looking at health bars and the occasional add on will tell me when to move. I love wow combat, but lets not paint it as something its not.

19. Ara

Ara Avatar

Lets go even further back then and compare it with the old UO Renaissance combat system (best ever created) where you had access to all skills or spells from your keyboard and not a hotbar. You needed superior timing and you had to adapt to what your opponent were doing and had full control and overview of the battle field. That was a good combat system. Sure it is a old one but there is no need to invent the wheel again.

Scolari79 likes this.
  20. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I found last night that I was able to focus on the combat on screen because I know my deck and my spells enough to be able cast the correct spell without affecting my ability to react to the situation.

Just takes practice like any combat system! Looking foward to combos and more spells in the future!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.