Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Repair kits = lame

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Xi_, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

BTW crafted cloth armour has a bug that makes repair kit only restore 5 points. for crafted plate it restores 20, and non crafted cloth is also 20.

Lord Lonn and Moonshadow like this.
  2. Meyaka2

Meyaka2 Avatar

In many cases just buying new armor is A LOT cheaper. I dont like it. Yes you can get the skill that lessens the damage done to armor but thats not the issue. The issue is that repairing costs way to much. The kits weight so damn much but don't do much. Needs balancing imo.

3. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

OK guys it's this simple.

When one goes out ADVENTURING even a poor player should at least break even on loot vs repair costs. In fact most the time you should come away ahead. You shouldn't have to craft this or go harvest that.

They are making this game way too much about gold, this is suppose to be about the virtues and instead I'm more worried about where I'm going to get enough gold to repair my equipment.

Last night I just wanted to gather some iron and copper. After 3 hours I got plenty of iron, some copper, 1 nickel? 1 zinc?
    But what was ridiculous was about 500gold in loot and over 3000 gold in repair bills, and that didn't even get my equipment back to full.

It SHOULD NOT be cheaper to buy new equipment then it is to repair what you have!

4. Darian

Darian Guest

With mending by players i see more the problem in finding someone to do it, or if you offer that service not be bored out of your mind waiting for customers.
    Maybe if i could leave my toon ingame as npc.. with set prices and ressources for mending on it.. no idea.

Or we see 20 players standing around waiting to mend stuff and customers scared to approach the hungry pack....

Moonshadow and Noctiflora like this.
  5. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Yeah, sitting here with my morning coffee and seeing some people (in this and other threads), telling others that this is all just fine and dandy, or that everything needs to be as hard and maddening as possible, just really gives me a rash. Sometimes I think some people should just hit themselves with a pain stick periodically (like Warf), and leave the rest of us alone. lol

In addition to being about virtues, I thought this game was supposed to be about being able to (efficiently, not painfully) keep your favorite equipment instead of having throw-away equipment like in the full loot pvp games. (an alarming trend? God I hope not).

And I thought testing was so, in addition to bug finding, we can point out things that suck so badly that they suck the fun factor right out of the game entirely. (like the current state of repair kits and the crafting system).

Just because someone has found a blatant and glaring imbalance such as being able to make "tons of gold" with the snap of their fingers, and are exploiting it so that they themselves are not currently impacted by the glaring imbalance of repair kits, doesn't mean that repair kits are "fine the way they are."

Ironically, these are usually the very same people who are always saying they want everything made harder and harder. I would think they would refrain from making their own lives easier, (by exploiting the system), rather than telling those who are making known the problems with repair kits that they're "making too much of it."

The repair kits are grossly unbalanced as-is. They need something done asap. Those who think it's no big deal need to consider that while one thing may be no big deal all by itself, the cumulative effect of all the "little" things can amount to an insurmountable obstacle to someone's desire to continue testing, or if it doesn't get changed, to their desire to play the game.

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I don't think it is a bug... as I have crafted leather chest armor piece and the RK's only repair it for 5 durability. No-value armor like the founder items, it repairs in increments of 10 (chest/legs), 20 (gloves/boots) or 50 (swords). Haven't crafted any cloth armor so I can't address that specific part of your post.

Moonshadow likes this.
  7. Darian

Darian Guest

Leather armor crafted repairs 5 or so, would have to check but if it is more than 5 points i would be surprised.
    It does not bother me just now because i can make 10k gold in a few minutes but the way it is right now is rather silly.

Moonshadow and Noctiflora like this.
  8. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

These kits were terrible and for one realease they were actually useful and now we are back to square one with this??

Can we make repair kits actually cheaper than buying new armor?? PLEASE?

Moonshadow and Duke Olahorand like this.
  9. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

Realistically once your gear goes down below 50% it probably actually would be cheaper to buy a new set than spend time repairing it. I don't think it's actually the cost of kits (though a bit high) or the amount they repair that's the issue but rather how quickly your gear gets damaged. I feel it should take probably about 4x as long to get damaged as it currently does.

Archaeopteryx likes this.
  10. G Din

G Din Avatar

As a grandmaster smith in UO repairing for tips, kits are crap and break immersion. I remember repairing a vanq sword from someone and he was so happy i didn't steal it , he tipped me 10k gold.

How can everyone be able to repair armor and weapons without knowledge of making the gear?

The only reason you would need repair kits is if you believe (1) not enough people will be playing your game to be available for repairs (2) Towns and forges will not be manned enough to allow for repairs (3) You just want to make it easy mode for everyone.

Repair kits are a disgrace. There is nothing like finding a smith you can count on and trust. If buying the the gear is cheaper than repairing it....you are doing it wrong.

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

All fair points. But just to play devil's advocate.

The blacksmith sells cheap armor and gives away free weapons for new players. Repair kits seem expensive because armor is cheap. But once you buy crafted armor at 20Kg or more for a full suit, the repair cost won't seem so expensive. Note that at some point, crafter's will sell repair kits cheaper than the Blacksmith.

Right now it sucks because there are no player vendors so taking advantage of the crafting economy is extremely difficult at best,

Moonshadow, Budner and Duke Raas like this.
  12. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Agreed.

Compare that to the effort currently involved in gathering the materials to produce a custom crafted set (as I'm doing for my mage character), and using repair kits is a bargain even at the inflated prices that occur in Owl's Head.

I'll take 10000g worth of repair kits over having to spend all night harvesting all that freaking cotton again in Solace Bridge. :p

Tahru likes this.
  13. G Din

G Din Avatar

What hell is a repair kit anyway? Were they around in medieval times? Think i missed that chapter in history.

Myrcello and Moonshadow like this.
  14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Someone must have tampered with your copy.

Was probably next to the chapter containing glowing towers that spew electricity into the air, or clockwork automatons that directed people to collect funny hats.

Darn vandals. ;)

15. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

I feel this thread will be seen by the ppl who need to see it. I trust it'll be looked at.

IMO, if we must have a "kit" to repair things (maybe it's a needed gold sink?) I'd suggest that it takes a certain level of blacksmith knowledge to USE the kit... I'd look at it like it includes the materials needed to fix the item. So, maybe the smith provides it, or maybe the owner of he gear does... but a smith is needed to apply it.

In any case I'd also suggest only one is needed rather than multiples.

tazntaylr likes this.
  16. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well this has nothing to do with what you paid or didn't pay for the armor/weapon. It's about the damage you need to repair costs versus the amount of money you bring in at the same time while incurring the damage.
    As an adventurer that means how much loot you bring in.

17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

They have said blacksmithigns, tailros, etc will be able to directly repair armor. And there will be materials used inc raftign that can increase equipment durability.

As for right NOW, repair kits are all there is. The reasonign behind makign them expensive is probably to make dying Hurt.

Prices fluctuate on NPCs now depending on how often an item is baught, but the prices ALSO go back way down very quickly. If they are too expensive, go to another vendor that sells them and check there, or wait till there arent many people online and buy a bunch.

The ammoutn repair kits repair is based on the displayed value of the equipment. Store baught stuff repairs for 20 per kit, 1k-ish stuff repairs for 10 or so per kit and 4k-isk repairs for only 5. At minimal repair kit prices it costs about 1-2k to repair anything that isnt a chest piece, and an additional 1-2k for the chest piece.

There are Gems in both Blackblade Pass, and the Graff Gem Mines that you can easily mine and sell to an alchemist in kingsport for 2000 gold each, allowign you to easily purchase the repair kits you need.

Lord Lonn and tazntaylr like this.
  18. Player Killer

Player Killer Avatar

cant confirm at all, 20 repair kits for my chest, 20 repair kits for my pants, both are crafted plate.

19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

i did say crafted CLOTH .. but plate gear i made and then traded to somebody else apparently now only repairs 5 points also. It costs me 14000 gold to fully repair, costing roughly 22000 every level at 50 -55 which will get worse.

Lord Lonn likes this.
  20. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Right... what he is saying is that the other half of your post (crafted plate repairing at 20 pts a pop) was something he couldn't confirm.

Player Killer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.