Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Repair kits = lame

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Xi_, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

The rate at which things take damage is completely asinine, almost as asinine as the repair kit itself, I find nothing fun about this and don't even really feel like playing today as a result of yesterdays repair kit frustrations. I'd rather the damage be lessened and have to take the crap back to town to get it repaired, for a fair price of coarse, a price far more fair than the ridiculous cost of a repair kit, as is, i can replace my armor for cheaper. Lame.

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well as to that there are skills that reduce damage taken to items that can be chosen although even doing that it is still not where it should be. I do agree about repair kits they are so expensive, when you can afford to get them or better yet to make them,better yet create them, (3 iron bars 3 hardened leather, hardened leather 4 chunks salt 1 fat 2 leather). It takes me about 8 repair kits to repair my chest piece all the way. I know that some of that is due to the request for going to a blacksmith to be the best choice and for repair kits to be just the quick fix but right now it takes time to get to a place where you can afford them.

A terrific person I grouped with last night gave me an axe when my axe turned to toast. You don't find as many axes, he told me where to get them for free and now that I am level 22 my encumberance is in a much better place and I can carry a spare or two. So I think over time, and through posts such as this, it will get balanced out better. Now regarding how asinine it is that it take tons of resources to craft something verses how much you get off your kills and harvests is a whole other discussion.;)

sorry I am not making sense today lol just edited****

3. Player Killer

Player Killer Avatar

20 repair kits for the chest
    20 repair kits for the pants
    10 repair kits for the boots
    5 repair kits for the gauntlets
    5 repair kits for the helmet
    12 repair kits for the weapon
    --------------
    72 repair kits in total

its fun to drag 72 times to repair your stuff :)

oh and if i wear my cloak its 82 repair kits instead ;)

4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

You're being sarcastic.. right? The gray and white makes it hard to tell...

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  5. Player Killer

Player Killer Avatar

no i will need 72 repair kits if my 6 slots are broken 82 if my cloak needs full repair too ... 0 to 100%

majoria70 and Moonshadow like this.
  6. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Guys this is a trivial issue ATM...

fantalio, Tahru, Duke Raas and 2 others like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Couldn't agree more. It's easy to fix, improve, blah blah...

Repair kits are the least of our worries. It's always good to give the devs feedback though.

8. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Couldn't agree more. It's easy to make tons of gold so at the moment it's not a problem... Just wait until income are lowered.

Once gathering and crafting are in place I think we will truly see how mending equipment will work

FrostII, EMPstrike and Heradite like this.
  9. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

that's kind of short sighted. How many people are going to want to continue testing when they have to needlessly grind coin just to keep repairing their gear?

amaasing, Moonshadow, foobard and 3 others like this.
  10. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Well, have there been any sort of hint to crafter made repair kits?? I don't know if its a good idea or not but maybe it could work..

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I can say the same thing about experience points (I'm level 13 and probably won't go up much more during release 14).

It's pretty easy to go over the Owl's Nest, get 2 uncut sapphires and make 4000 gold. Takes about 15 minutes.

Moonshadow likes this.
  12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Repair kits are convenient (although obviously they need some tweaking), but I like the UO system for armor/weapon damage:

- damage occurs slowly so you didn't have to constantly repair items
    - but if you didn't repair them they will eventually disintegrate
    - you had to either create your own blacksmith character or find another blacksmith to repair your stuff (also helps seed a distinct part of the economy)
    - an inexperienced blacksmith had a chance of doing further damage to, or destroying items

For those seeking more realism in game, the requirement to use an experience blacksmith seems more realistic than "everyone knows how to repair their own armor".

13. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Maybe it's just swords but I usually only need two repair kits for them.

14. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

What is this easy way to make tons of gold?

15. Darian

Darian Guest

I wish repair kits would be designed to be emergency repairs for someone stuck in an remote area to fix wepans/gear so it holds until back into civilisation.
    Therefore though it has to be cheap and light enough to be worth it lugging it around.
    Then you have to think about the newbies, so all gear reasonable used until lvl 20 or so has to be cheap and easy attainable.
    So if we think about an sword worth 300 gold using repair kits to repair it from 0 to 100 i would propose to make it cost in repair kits close to its price (Asuming an blacksmith can repair it much cheaper, using less ressources who are easy to optain) so an newbie can collect a few ores and have the sword fixed or buy an new one.

With higher level weapons i would make the difference higher, 2x or 3x the cost if one uses kits and much lower if an blacksmith repairs it.

This could be done by giving higher level gear higher stats like 500 or 1000 health, but the blacksmith repairs it like the 0 to 100 ones, while the repair kits have to fill up by 10 units as always.
    This would reflect then a higher quality too, allow still emergency repairs and allow a economy in repair kits.

With higher levels things can be expensive, they have in average little problems to get onto money, while newbies/low levels have to scrape coins.

So we need mechanisms that allow lower levels to get onto there feet while draining the purses of higher levels to prevent the usual inflation, and doing that by making higher quality gear more costly to maintain we can do that.

Then we need to have resources stacked in an way that makes it interesting for low levels to collect the basic ones and sell to higher level players over merchants on market place who buy and sell with little interest so it becomes an option to buy from them or sell to them, if they keep to high interests that would not work that well, setting prices though i have no real idea, maybe first by hand from the devs, and as soon enough data is there an formula for price and demand can be worked out.

(but not to be too restrictive, if there are not plenty of low levels trading in such we end with low levels areas swarmed by high levels ....)

But we need to make repair kits something usefull or they are just a waste of coding, if they have economical no sense like right now no one will buy them and no one will produce them.

So my idea would be to set the making of them at an rather high skill but the ressources to make cheap and easy to have, so it becomes interesting to make them but not very time consuming for an black smith of approbiate level.

So making them and selling them for maybe 30-50 golds makes sense, they repair newbie gear well and become as higher the gear is in quality less so, to encourage the repair by an black smith and keep kits as emergency solution working.

Tradeskills to master should be an challenge to keep the "tradeskill alt char" syndrome from happening in SotA

Moonshadow and Budner like this.
  16. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Uncut sapphires that you can mine in a few places get you 2000 gold each and you can find up to 3 of them in one go.

I make about 15k in less one hour killing elves, while I was cutting down some trees, and by doing so my total armour damage was less than 20.

17. Darian

Darian Guest

I doubt the easy gem runs will be still ingame .. if not very soon latest when SotA goes public

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Bah, which selfrespecting noble walks around in old armor?
    I don't repair mine, I simply give them away after a long run, usually before half is gone.
    Then I have a home chest full of new armor.
    Consumerism and all that.

The only thing I repair is my cloak and my weapon which cannot be purchased or crafted...

(So yes I completely agree that the current system is broken).

Forest_Dweller and amaasing like this.
  19. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Ok... forgot I was in founder gear and thought they had perhaps tweaked R13's unworkable model. I just confirmed what you said with some on-hand repair kits and my more expensive weapons and armor. Back to 5 points per RK for the chest, and about 10 for each sword...

20. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Yea but as I said once SotA goes public we will also have proper mending... General income must be lowered to before release so that is another balance act add a several hundreds of other factors adding to the equation of mending cost that needs to be balance and most of them are not even in the game yet.

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.