Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Player Owned Town Editor Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Rufus D`Asperdi, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Good feedback but without coordinates we can't really address this.

mbomber and Winfield like this.
  2. DarkStarr

Almost the entire main part of the island is flat, basically a broad plateau with only a couple of elevation changes (outlined in yellow below). In fact the Island Template has more uninterrupted flat area than the other templates. Can you provide examples of where you think it should be flat that it is not?

[​IMG]

mbomber, Sea Bear, Winfield and 4 others like this.
  3. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Very smart setup of your Row Houses - you reduced naked walls to a limit and no matter from what side you pass the roads you have also a front view of at least 3 row houses. Just thought i share that i like how you did it. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Balandar likes this.
  4. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

Having played with the tool for several days now I would like to suggest we get a mode where you can walk around the town and see all placed markers in green without having to drag a marker from your bag.

This visual representation of marker positions would help A LOT when planning things out overall, a little like the P key function but with the added advantage of seeing the entire perimeter of each marker.

cartodude, Jatvardur and DarkStarr like this.
  5. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

If you have a larger zone with a small hold-fast and your buildings are clustered together, it would be nice to set a zone-in spot(s) for the various entrances to the zone. Having to run a half-marathon to get to the 'town-square' is a bit of a workout. I do not own a town lot, just thinking in general. Or maybe some kind of moongate-rift system that we could build.

6. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Bare in mind I'm a noob with this system. I AM actually very grateful for it, and want to make it better. At Tantalus we are coordinating feedback and will send that along in due course.

To respond to this particular issue on flatness:

Part of the problem is the perspective. When you are at ground level you don't see where all the flat areas are, and when those areas are "interrupted" by bumps it is a little frustrating to figure it out. It is all a bit trial and error.

For example I tried to place a keep lot but without seeing the above image I found it hard to find the correct area that would take it. Now that I can see the above map I could probably find the appropriate areas much more quickly. Moreover, while there are many areas that accept city lots those areas are disjoint / not contiguous. This makes it hard (in my mind) to decide where to place a town "center" or how to create a built up city feel. While I've currently opted for an island template (as I like the idea of an island), I'd desire a template with more areas of continguous flatness so I have great freedom in placing lots. I'd prefer a central area which was large and flat while the surrounding edges could be bumpier, rather than having many flat areas which are spread out.

I did manage to place a keep lot on the island in the top right side of the map but it felt like it only just fitted, I had to wiggle it around a lot until it was green. I saw the marker flash green a few times as I wiggled but it wasn't so easy to get it to "fix". This makes me wonder if there needs to be greater error tolerance in the placement of markers. I fear that if I struggled to place a keep on that island then I would really struggle to place a castle (perhaps add some more wiggle room? Although I see that Winfield got it to fit!).

7. DarkStarr

Thank for the feedback! Have you actually tried building your desired town center in the areas marked in yellow? They are completely flat and you should be able to do just what you are trying.

8. DarkStarr

Also worth noting that you now have this map at your bank as of Friday's patch

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I haven't had a chance to use this yet. But I've walked on the island template in game.

I'm also hoping to eventually have a template that all housing can be grouped side by side. So I would like all 500+ of my buildings grouped together.

mbomber likes this.
  10. Ronluin

Ronluin Avatar

I am really glad this tool was provided to us. It's nice to be able to layout the buildings as we see fit. It would be nice if you could place a lot on an area that isn't completely flat and have the land flatten out. There seems to be too many spots where a lot just can't be placed due to a slight raised area.

11. Galdar Grimmstone

Galdar Grimmstone Avatar

I can't wait to see the add-on POT store/system... you know where you buy ($$$) or create (Crafting) fortification deeds, edit the land for moats, bridges, etc etc... the millions of deco ideas and resource generation is endless. sorry, as a former shard map and town builder my mind goes nuts :p

12. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Indeed... I plan to test all the water lots and give the /loc locations in the R20 bug forum. Also for the Forest01 template. I will work on that next weekend if someone doesn't do it sooner. We may also recommend some flattening of some areas where the city lots in Forest01 are not quite flat or are pretty hard to get a city lot marker down. All is good! And will get better too!

Thanks!

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I still haven't been able to place a water lot. I will keep trying though. I've heard it is working for others but ooooh not for me yet.;)

**edit** I was finally able to place the water lots. So Im good to go, just an FYI to update my post.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    mbomber, Atogrim and cartodude like this.
  14. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I've placed some houses within the yellow markers, but for town centre I was more thinking on NPC buildings along with some row lot houses. I'd need to double check what I did with row lot houses and the feel they'd give if placed within the yellow markers.

New map is certainly a help. It is now easier to find places that might accept (say) a keep lot. The downside is that they are still hard to place when you are restricted to a ground level (avatar) view. I tried to place a keep lot on the south eastern island, but had no luck. It seems like a tight spot on the sides and I couldn't quite get it to fit centrally enough such that it would place.

Also tried the south west corner with the yellow box to place a keep lot. The lot is wider than my field of view, so it is difficult to tell if I'm "touching" the rocks when I move it. It is also pretty long so not easy to tell if I'm off the end or not.

Key problems:

• Perspective is difficult from the ground.
    • Error tolerance for flat land -- small bumps upset placement.
    • Flatter / larger areas -- error tolerance not a problem if placing areas are wider all round.

mbomber and Atogrim like this.
  15. DarkStarr

Definitely please provide coordinates in the templates where it looks flat and/or a lot should fit but it does not.

16. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Certainly. Here are the two locations I tested.

Area: Vanguard (POT_island_metropolis_01_template) Loc: (466.6, 81.9, -465.2)

Area: Vanguard (POT_island_metropolis_01_template) Loc: (-163.6, 89.0, -13.4)

mbomber likes this.
  17. DarkStarr

Great! Can you please post these in the bug forums? (I know I'm annoying!)

18. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

mbomber and Atogrim like this.
  19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

just their way of poking us back for complaining. :)

mbomber, Rebelweasel and Jatvardur like this.
  20. Albus

Albus Avatar

Actually I'd second this question, I placed some lots practicing and seem unable to pick up the lots? I did try claiming a lot and then evicting myself, but that left the lot in place.

Has anyone found a way to actually remove a lot once it is placed? I may just be a bit daft here...

mbomber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.