PvP town and Banning Permissions, Does it cross the line?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Sold and gone, Sep 20, 2015.

?

Do you like pvp towns to have banning permissions?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I do not care

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    *ahem* I know its easy to get derailed :D but the topic is Banning in PvP POTs. Back on topic kids! :p

mbomber, E n v y and smack like this.
  2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Question: If you don't designate your POT as PvP from the outset, can you change your mind later and make it a PvP town?

If so, I think ALL POT owners have a say in this, not just owners who think they will be PvP at this particular. Not to mention everyone who PvPs and everyone who MIGHT PvP.

mbomber and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I think Starr said it is possible, but it has to be a very good reason. (after launch) Right now you have time to change it I do believe as there are still wipes coming up. I will try to find the information for you.

mbomber and Budner like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Evidentally you do care or you wouldn't be worrying. It's not the end of the world. They won't be turned off, they are helping to fund the game. No one said you have to care, you decided to do this. It is a game feature and only bad or good if someone labels it so, otherwise it is just a game feature. Perhaps you have a bottom line that is really bothering you about this feature instead of I don't care about them and don't want to see them, which sounds a bit like hmmm *stomping feet*? Have you ever given anyone a chance to show you things in the game or is it your way or the highway? Just curious, I would love for you to visit in Wizards Rest, not saying you have to live there, but you could see we have no designs on you or others in the game to overthrow anything. We just are. You are very welcome. I am majoria in the game, vendors will be everywhere just like in UO with goods. I am speaking in sincerety, not trying to put you down because of your thoughts. **cheers**

5. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for entering this debate with each other and keeping it (mostly) civil. As many of you might recall when we originally announced PoTs being able to flag Open PVP we stated that bannings of any kind would not be possible in those towns. We then backed away from this when we saw a serious case of serial misconduct. However we never felt right about this decision so we have decided to go back to our original intent. We are in fact seeing if we can get this in for R22.

Please note this is ONLY for PoTs flagged for Open PVP. Players with PVP flagged basements in PVE areas can still ban players from their lot.

-Darkstarr

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Thank you Darkstarr! *bows humbly*

7. sake888

sake888 Avatar

The relevance to that point was that at no one will have to take the risk of having to live in a POT. If someone passes up their opportunity at launch to live in an NPC or PRT then that's on them, i.e. choose a POT at launch, roll them dice. I truly thought that was clear within the context of the thread you assumed I didn't read and therefor something I didn't have to spell out.

*Right after I posted this, I saw Darkstarr's reply above.

OK, well the devs have spoken and no bans win. It was a fun debate anyway, no name calling, this community is good. :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I am asking to have this thread closed now, thank you everyone for your debate. Feel free to start a new thread on the other off topics. @FireLotus @Tazar

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  9. smack

smack Avatar

Ok, understood. But the ongoing discussion in the other thread poses this exact situation: once the 30% allocation is used up, unless the devs create more PRTs (which they haven't said they will do because that will create the infinite land scenario), there is nowhere to go except existing NPC towns/PRTs, which is presumed to be rare, or to POTs, which are continually be sold. In any case, let's continue that part of the discussion in the other thread.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  10. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Let me play victim here.

I'm in a pot, PvP is enabled, I am flagged for PvP. I'm chilling in my house, which is private. Ravicus comes outside my house, shouting curses and threats. I decide I want to go hunting. How can I leave if he is outside? Oh right, relog.

Well now I had a successful hunt, maybe I used a cool unfixed exploit and have 200 Dragon leather on me. How can I get to my house with getting killed and looted?

Oh right, single player online mode.

What's the complaint again?

Abydos and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  11. Boy_Graham

Boy_Graham Avatar

Thank You!

12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

13. smack

smack Avatar

Thank you Starr. I do hope you and other devs read this entire debate as there are valid arguments on both sides in regards to the larger discussion: PvE POT banning, or more specifically its specific implementation as a scene-wide ban. Some of the posts here are valid towards that debate as well, and I do hope some of the alternate suggestions, proposals, restrictions can be looked at again towards that decision.

Not to mention the in-game tools to perhaps even allow PvP POTs to hold disruption-free events (e.g. Arena PvP basements with restricted spectator areas and other new proposed venues via "World is a Stage" stretch goal).

Abydos, majoria70 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

No, I am saying there are more levels of PvP than open PvP. A POT should have the option for those too. They can not so it's by request with a /ban to enforce.

Is arena PvP at PvE in a PvP zone? What about battlegrounds. Last man standing. Many other levels that a community could be built around. A basement does not support a community.

UO was 1 type of PvP full open PvP. This topic would not exist in UO. Well, maybe after Trammel, but no way before the split.

Just as you must consent to the rules of PvP when entering a Shardfall so should you when entering a POT. Respect the rules of the community you are visiting or except to be asked to leave.

15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Excellent, now it is clear that flagging a POT for PvP is open PvP. Which would make a ban command not logical.

That brings the question, will other forms of PvP be an option or will it be open PvP only.

16. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Really need to focus on the release right now so not prepared to discuss details or future plans right now. Thank you all for understanding.

Duke Raas, mbomber, Abydos and 4 others like this.
  17. Trome

Trome Avatar

Very good update.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Fair enough :)

19. charock

charock Avatar

+1