Open PvP with full loot everywhere in online mode?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ara, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

What exactly hasn't been decided?

That PvP is by consent only? This was an early promise and repeated almost every time the devs talked about PvP since. This one is likely set in stone, just like the fact SotA will be a RPG, that it will be multiplayer with single player and offline options, that it will have character virtues play an important role in the game, and other such core aspects of gameplay.

That the game will use the instancing and matching systems to make PvPers only see other PvPers? This was described by the devs before the KS drive ended and reinforced a few times, with noting to contradict it spoken yet by the devs. This one doesn't seem to be at the promise level, but unless some very compelling reason to change it surfaces, it's likely to be implemented in the end.

That an "OPO PvE" mode will exist? I still have to find the specific reference where a dev flat out said that they want strict PvE players able to play in OPO mode in order to meet new players (@Owain, I believe it was in response to one of your early suggestions; do you remember this?), but apart from some vague and hypothetical scenarios used to explain PvP (which can be interpreted to only apply for when the player actually has his PvP "flag" set), I have seen little to suggest that everyone in OPO will be forced into PvP, and a lot to suggest that playing in OPO mode while a strictly PvE player - including doing challenging PvE content while at it - will be possible.

@God, I believe you are mixing things a bit in one aspect. Choosing between SPO, FPO, and OPO modes is part of the selective multiplayer concept, as they are part of the mechanism for allowing players to choose who they will play with. It's just that choosing the multiplayer mode isn't all that selective multiplayer is about.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. God

God Avatar

Right I understand that. But what he is saying is this...

"Pve'ers get their modes.. SPO and FPO. We should get OPEN play online.. That is selective multiplayer."

And that's not true.. While being able to choose to play alone or w friends is technically "selective," that's not really what sm is.. It's being able to choose who you see, ALONG with what mode you play.

Xandra7, Umbrae and Koldar like this.
  3. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Yeah, selective multi player is basically being able to select who you play with. I agree with this. I'm just saying that choosing the multiplayer mode is an essential part of being able to select who you play with, and thus an essential part of selective multi player as presented.

Time Lord and God like this.
  4. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

But that is only by your definition. In reality... it can be anything. This is evident in the various games that call SM, but it can be for an "off" button like in some games, to Minecrafts SM, which is by Single Player, or on a server. in the MC example you actully choose the mode you want to play in by the server yo uare on. One server might be PvE only, another server might be Open PvP. So the definition of SM varies greatly.

5. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

God's point is that a lot PvEers will inevitably want an OPO non-PvP world. Similarly, although we both would probably utilize SPO and FPO Open-PvP options, we still would not be content without an OPO PvP option. Everyone wants an OPO version of their ideal PvP setting (tbch, I have my doubts that we'll have a slider at all).

God likes this.
  6. Owain

Owain Avatar

What is the problem with having OPO PvE and OPO PvP, with PvP being player selected to ensure informed consent to PvP?

Time Lord and Devoid like this.
  7. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

This^

If OPO is pvp only, then how are pve players going to meet NEW players to add to friends list to play with. You have to consider that people's existing friends may not be playing this game - their existing friends might not even be gamers - so to gain new friends to play with in modes other than OPO as a pve-only player will mean that there needs to be a way to only exist in a pve-only environment while being open to meeting entirely new people, which only OPO can provide.

TL;DR: OPO needs to have a way to be pve-only.

AuroraWR likes this.
  8. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

That is your definition. So let me see if I can help you.

There Are Other Definitons To Selective Multiplayer: Selective Multiplayer Definition

9. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

There's no need to be that confrontational.

You both need to disengage. Kindly do so, before we have to do it for you.

10. God

God Avatar

Do me a favor and look through the guy's recent posts.. It's getting a little bit ridiculous.

11. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

There's plenty of ridiculousness being exchanged between the both of you. We're well aware of it, and observing it. I just chose to use your now-penultimate post as the thing to reply to, because Tim's most recent post wasn't as obviously unnecessary in its language.

The Ignore button exists for a reason, and I suggest that you and Sir_Tim both avail yourselves of it with respect to each other.

12. Robby

Robby Avatar

I am horrible at PvP. So i dont really plan on PvPing in this game...... bbbbbuuuutttt..... I have always LOVED!!! to go out and be the big bad wolf that fries the three little pigs!!! MWAHAHAHAHA >=-P I remember playing the early MMO's like diablo and stuff. It was fun tricking a new player down into the dungeon and slaughtering him like a pig. Then he would message a tough player to come in and teach me a lesson and im like , "AHHH NOO!" and i'd run and hide. =P Those were the days!
    This game doesnt absolutely have to have that feature so im not gonna fight to bring it into the game. But what i think there ought to be is the ability to be an evil character that isnt PvP. What I described above isnt neccessarily "PvP" its just what you call it, the wolf slaughtering the sheep. And it sure is a blast for people like me who sometimes enjoy being filthy and rechod in a "roleplaying" type of game. I really think that there should be a path in the game for characters to be pure evil were you dont fight dragons and daemons, but you specialize in allying with the dragons and daemons and your goal is to wreak havoc upon the kind and virtuous people. You could join up with other players who are evil too. You could go into the open world and be totally "red" and have the "murderer" or "theif" as your title and no one would be able to attack each other (unless it was consensual) you would all just recognize that your playing the game differently.
    The way I see it, when it comes to non consensual PvP, no one neccesarily has to really truly be losing anything at all for me to get my pig slaughtering urges satisfied. If I could slaughter a new player, or a weaker player and be rewarded with random loot and I actually get to physically pick things off the corpse that would be just as fun! I can sit there and laugh and be like "mwahahaa now ill grab all his gold and loot(which isnt really HIS loot)". Then to meet him in town and after he rezzed and laugh at him and show him the gold and loot I got off him would be fun 2. Of course non consensual PvP would have to be somewhat limited even if there were no consequences to the victim other than "reseting in town" because rez killing and hovering around the player over and over again could turn to greifing(maybe once you kill a person you cant kill them again for 24 hours?) And perhaps killing a person non-consensually would rack up bounty on your head. Anyway, im not going to push for non consensual pvp im just throwing this idea out there so theres no need to tell me "NO WE ARENT DOING THAT!' cuz im just brainstorming. Online games are fun enough without the non consensual pvp.
    But what I REALLY want to see is the ability to be crooked and despicable! >=-) I think that there should be away to play the game entirely as an evil person yet still be totally PvM. If theres no non consensual pvp thats fine. But i'd like to be able to play my game as a wolf who goes out to slaughter the NPC sheep and I want it to be interesting and fun! No, killing a wandering healer and getting 50 gold peices, a brown robe, and some bandages is NOT fun! I like the idea of raiding an entire village full of SHEEP! Burning down the buildings and killing all the innocents, and LOOTING all of the HOUSES!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Ive always hated that in every online game out there, when your "farming" your just looting locked chests in dungeons full of evil things like liches and dragons and stuff like that and killing these evil creatures. Your pretty much forced to be a hero if you want to make gold. When im farming i want to have the option to feel like a complete fiend while im doing it. Instead of dragons and liches i want to slaughter guards, farmers, maybe even kings and noblemen. No game I have played online really has that kind of feature, so people like me or other people who enjoy the non-consensual PvP play style are always feeling empty when it comes to an RPG online game. We want to go into a fictional world and do things we wouldnt do in real life. Part of that involves being a fiend if you want to! Its just... interesting!

Time Lord likes this.
  13. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

They need to have like natives out in the wild.
    Some tribes of npc's you can either trade or slaughter to get their goods instead of just the city dwelling folk.
    Maybe throw in a few of these with some control points that different people can capture and then have the natives coming back every now and then to try and reclaim that area.

14. Robby

Robby Avatar

Exactly! and it would feel purely "non-consensual" and that would be a blast! >=-P You could burn down their houses and loot them too!

Time Lord likes this.
  15. God

God Avatar

Anyone who does that has issues IRL that they bring into the game, ruining it for new players. Maybe it's a self esteem problem..

Phredicon, Koldar and Ara like this.
  16. Ara

Ara Avatar

This thread is about PvP and full loot, you're not talking about PvP. I suggest you discuss your playstyle in a thread of your own.

Sir_Tim, Koldar and God like this.
  17. Root2

Root2 Avatar

I would like to see a system in place where the local residents could hire guards for their town, a protection tax if you will, that makes their town safe from the villainous sort of riff raff. ;) Wanna be safe then you gotta pay.

18. Robby

Robby Avatar

What ive proposed is sort of an alternative to full loot non consensual pk. Another way to sort of take out that kind of aggression without really ruining someone else's fun.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. ImRad

ImRad Avatar

I for one am open to full loot pvp. I miss the old days of guilds warring each other, everywhere! Raiding a guilds banking city, or their hunting group. It was a blast and whatever comes out on release date, I hope to experience that same feeling.

TigerKhan likes this.
  20. dweebothegeek

dweebothegeek Avatar

I would like to share an idea that I just came up with that I think would truely sastisfy full loot open pvp players as well as players not interested in full loot pvp and even players not interested in pvp at all. Oviously you have the single player mode which has already been confirmed to be completly separate from the "open world" as in you can place your house anywhere as all the world is yours and yours only. Players not interested in multiplayer covered. Now for the open world I think it should work like this: Full loot open world players see everyone everywhere and can attack everyone everywhere. (aside from guarded towns) Full loot open world players can fight and interact with each other however they want. Next non full loot players could participate in pvp via a dueling system where both players agree to fight and keep stuff upon death. they could also accept contraband missions where they take contraband from point a to point b and could be killed by the open world full loot players. open world full loot players would recieve the contraband as loot and not the players gear. if the contraband mission player kills the open world pvper it simply knocks them unconcious and they dont lose there gear to the contraband player either. This way non pvpers can get a taste of pvp and hopefully become inticed to joining the full loot world. Now when the non full loot player is not on a contraband mission and is just killing a mob spawn a murderous pker comes into the dungeon. the non pvp player doesnt see the pker and doesnt even know he was ever there. the pk does see the non pvper and he appears as just a naked character. the pk can kill him and gets nothing because he is just some naked player. the non pvper doesnt even know hes been pked and goes on as nothing happend. the pk got the pleasure of murdering a helpless naked and the anti pk full loot open world players get the pleasure of coming in behind him and ganking him and looting him. all this happens with non pvp players seeing or knowing nothing of what is going on.

to sum it all up
    singleplayer have a world of there own
    non pvpers only see non pvpers and have no knowlege of what goes on in the pvp world.
    pvpers who dont want full loot have to accept contraband missions and can roam around and pvp but they cant loot anything themselves
    pvpers who want full loot get full loot of everyone who accepts full loot and they can loot the contranband from those players. non pvp are just nakeds.

NONES FUN IS RUINED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.