Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Afraid that the combat system might get ditched

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I was confused because the post you quoted was a refinement which in turn quoted Joviex, so... ya know. Brain hurts.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. stile

stile Avatar

Love the card system! :)

Time Lord, Margard and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  3. Margard

Margard Avatar

Building decks is proving to be easy and intuitive - I think that in the long run for PvP - it will actually make for great gameplay ... its more about strategic "building" - and properly gauging your opponent

The only aspect i don't like at the moment is deck switching tied to gear switching (in battle) - automatically doing that seems unfair / unrealistic from a gaming stance

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Bambi Alyenare

Bambi Alyenare Avatar

HATE the card system!

I surely do not post as much as a lot of you, but I can guarantee that I've been an avid supporter of Shroud up until release 8 and 9. I've brought other people in and now I'm embarrassed as they joined me last weekend to try out R9 and both of them, after a number of attempts at combat, reshuffling and customizing of decks declared it a crappy system for a multiplayer online RPG.

Luckily they haven't thrown nearly as much down the toilet, investment wise, as I have in this title...

docdoom77 likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Love the glyph system.

Time Lord and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  6. Bambi Alyenare

Bambi Alyenare Avatar

Great! Would you like to buy my account off me?

wagram likes this.
  7. Margard

Margard Avatar

This was the first time playing since release 6 and it did not take me long to figure it out - it makes sense and to top it off - meets the criteria of minimal hub with strategy ... me likes and want to see more of it -

Time Lord, Isaiah [MGT] and rune_74 like this.
  8. Margard

Margard Avatar

post it in the player marketplace - since you're a founder I imagine - I'm sure someone will take it off your hands

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I said I love the glyph system, I didn't say I was looking to buy accounts. If you want to sell your account there is another section of the forum for that.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

How can you say the system works. R8 was the first PvP use of it, hardly balanced on the various combat styles, many skills still to be added. R9 nearly every other post on it being Bad was one of yours, they remove cool downs and slugs and you now think its great. Those changes are probably only temporary once all the other skills are added it will have to be rebalanced.
    Also with Pax & Dragon CON they will want to show PvP in a better light before any balancing takes effect, so reverting to R8 is the best solution.

11. Margard

Margard Avatar

The system works as a show of concept - not as a full blown combat system

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Heard enough I'm outta here...

when a companion isn't needed anymore he leaves with humility.

that was lil old me :) enjoy meeting you all

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I think the glyph system is in definite needs of refinement but overall is a viable system.

I agree that the biggest issue it has is immersion breaking by having to look down at the toolbar. I'm not sure how exactly they'd fix this though... maybe making them transparent to a degree so you can still see the action? Of course then you need to make sure each glyph was clear enough to see what it was.

Or maybe shrink them down and have them centrally around your character? But then people with poor eyesight may not even be able to see them?

Hell they should just open it up to a modding community and see what people come up with. Works for other MMOs. ;)

Time Lord and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Should the player's reflexes determine everything, or should it also be based on the character's reflexes?

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't know who you are quoting, but this is an important feature of the combat system. Rather than some fast twitch system like a two player combat game like tekken, our characters should play a big role.

Fast twitch games like street fighter rely only on the player's skill because you didn't spend months gaining levels and hand picking all the skills. If it was based on pure player skill that would be a serious problem... It means leveling means nothing.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sir Asguard, his name is right there :/

I was saying that the "deck" system is about reflexes and not memory. He replied, saying we don't need it, because the player already acts on reflexes. The key word there is "the player."

I agree, this is meant to bring your character's skill into the equation, too, and make it harder for you to be pwned by a beginning character with fast twitch skills. Which doesn't mean that player's skill won't matter at all. The player's reflexes still are going to matter.

Isaiah [MGT] and Time Lord like this.
  17. Margard

Margard Avatar

Character - Agreed; "player reflexes / character skills"

My biggest concern however is the level of detachment I have from my character - some folks have commented on this (looking at the cards - instead of the character - this is not what I'm talking about)

I'm talking about "feeling" like my character is performing a command or action in a seemingly realistic manner.

- Running for dear life and turning around on a dime to cast a fire spell seems wrong to me

- Never stumbling, lunging out of position, feigning a move - seems wrong

- Not being able to "initiate" my base attack - seems wrong

- At the moment this feels like jousting without collisions - running at full speed into each other hoping your aim holds true and deal damage - it feels passive and no different than other games

I'm not asking for an action combat system - but I want to feel like I'm driving a ferrari even though I'm driving a very reliable family car that I LOVE (hopefully this last statement makes sense)

(yes I know its early - yes I know they are testing mechanics - yes I know that some things may be in the works - yes I get that - I just want to mention it in case it has not creeped into folks heads)

btw - I like the system - I just want to see if it can get better and win more people over (because on its own - it may not seem too appealing)

Isaiah [MGT], docdoom77 and Time Lord like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Indeed! Bring on the body motions! The better my Avatar looks while doing things, the more cool he looks to me. We just started jumping not too long ago, so I do cut some slack because it's too early to gripe when we've barely begun to even see our world and very little of what it will become. Even arguing about combat right now would seem silly because "it" isn't an "it" yet, it's just some things that were placed out for our amusement before the cook gets started cooking the horderves.... because these aren't even appetizers, they're just some sandwiches thrown together from the fridge for play time.

"Rub Some Funk on it!" :p
    How about that new radio? We'll need some new dance moves to help improve our Funk when those things start playing, "which such animation is exactly what our Avatars are missing in combat", but I know it's coming ;)
    How much does the Kung-Fu animation moves from Unity cost? ... kidding ;)
    Put some Funk on it! :D

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

19. Margard

Margard Avatar

@time lord

Its always good to make a little noise - during test time - while its not too late to add or subtract ingredients :p ... and "steer the ship a little" ... perception is king! hard task ahead for the dev's but I think they are up for it - its interesting to see how they balance the "normal way of making a game" / while entertaining and and procuring a larger fanbase ...

I just saw a video for another game - thats doing similar aspects in terms of "indie / transparent development" and let me say that I'm thrilled to back this game!

Time Lord likes this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

A little noise,

Jynx, Margard and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.