1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Deck Mode DOMINATION (Your guide to building a deck for PvP)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lum the Mad, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annah_Sennah

Annah_Sennah Avatar

I was hoping to try the deck, but it wouldn't let me build one. I tried clicking on 'New Deck' a few times and it didn't do anything.

I got pked for the first time on SoTA today! Woo hoo! haha

Siili likes this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

First assign skills using "K", then have the active skill list up with "L" and then the Deck equip mode "Y".

Drag "L" to "Y" where you see on "L" 1/2 or 2/4... you can't drag everything.

You may press "Z" so that you're not using an active deck, the buttons on "Y" menu will become greyed if so.

Don't forget Focus Skill tree to have faster, better decks

3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Absolutely LOVE the card system. Very original and different. Can't to see what happens as she gets better and more refined. Great job guys!

4. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Make sure you are OUT of combat mode. Z key will toggle that on/off IIRC.

5. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Added link to video Chris made about the new combat system:

6. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Nice Thank you I need all the help I can get
    hahaha Really it was Awesome

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Nice video, Chris! At about the 7 minute mark you ask everyone to join you in calling the deck "glyphs and not cards" and then immediately call them cards. lol

Still, a very nice video, thank you!

Caska DiFumarate and licemeat like this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

@Chris, why did you have so many slugs appear on your combat bar? I thought you only had one. Was that the one that just kept appearing over and over again by chance or do you add more slugs than the 20 cards in your deck?

9. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

Thanks for the video

10. Drocis the Devious

@Chris, is there a fizzle animaiton yet? I didn't see any fizzles and I thought they were in this release. I would've expected to see more fizzles with a guy in plate armor. Yes I know combat melee skills are immune to fizzle. Was it just random luck?

11. Drocis the Devious

@Chris, how do players stop root?

It seems like it just works every time and you can't really proactively stop it. I will spare you the preachy "why that's bad" rant. :)

Also this is probably a great time for me to say you guys are awesome and PVP looks amazingly fun and cool for a first draft. Well done!

12. DarkStarr

Chris was wearing Heavy Armor which adds slugs to your deck

Numa, Mata, Duke NRaas and 2 others like this.
  13. DarkStarr

We don't yet have visuals or sound effects for fizzle in the game. We are trying hard to get them in by Thursday

14. Drocis the Devious

That's awesome. Just had a thought that maybe the more damage armor takes the more slugs it gets over time. Then crafters would have to repair the amor by knocking out the slugs. :)

I'm sure there's room to do that with weapons and wands, scrolls, staves, etc...

15. DarkStarr

Currently you cannot stop root from happening but you can break out of it by jumping or remove it with Purify or Knight's Grace.

Root is an earth spell and Earth magic is a physical damage type so physical resistance will also reduce Root's effectiveness.

Additionally Root will likely be an incorruptible spell so if you can get to the caster you can prevent it being cast.

Numa, crossbowsoda, monxter and 4 others like this.
  16. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Great video!

I think is a little confusing the fade down system for the cards, in what moment we can or cant use them anymore? maybe a fast (and elegant) spark graphic should remark that moment. That way it would not be needed pixel accuracy xD

17. Drocis the Devious

It would be pretty cool if players could see the roots coming out of the ground and have a moment to jump out of the way of them. Or to swing and chop at them (thus wasting an attack but still not getting rooted). Having active counters in the future is something that I will continue to look forward to. :)

TheMadHermit likes this.
  18. Floors

Floors Avatar

So from what I can see, trying to use focus ability to get more flexibility on the deck speed/size isn't worth the cost.

When you have armor on everything comes up slugs at first anyway so you don't want slugs to stay around for a long time...

It's just better for a fighter type character to level up blades and then run after people and catch them with the "default attack" which does a lot more damage.

Also from what I can see a sword + shield beats pole arms. Polearms need to do more damage, they're way underpowered compared to swords.

19. Drocis the Devious

Good feedback...but what happens when you catch someone that wants to be caught...like a guy in full plate armor? I don't know that one night of playing will tell you the answer to that. Of course, I didn't get one night of playing so you should know much better than I do.

20. Floors

Floors Avatar

What happens is you swing and hit them when you catch up with them. Now, casters are dangerous to you from afar, especially if they cast that "root to the ground" spell and everyone gangs up on you, then you're pretty much toast, but once you engage a caster type and if they start running, you can just follow them and catch them when they turn and if you have blades up very high you do a lot of damage because they don't have heavy armor on so they don't fizzle and have slugs for stuff.

There's some balance there, but I tried with and without focus and I was much deadlier with focus off and blades and armor leveled than without it. Getting Inner strength and and some rends in there helps a lot too.

I would like to see a party situation where you have your fighter types up front and casters in the back and you don't let the enemy party get to your casters. Polearms need help. Why use a 22 damage pole arm when a skull sword does 19 and you are way faster with it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.