1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Deck Mode DOMINATION (Your guide to building a deck for PvP)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lum the Mad, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

There are penalties... in the form of blanks and fizzles

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Sure, there should be penalties for casting in heavier armor, just not to the point they are crippling ;)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

At lower levels I think it should be crippling the heavier the armor....it just makes sense to me.

4. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Had fun but got my BUTT kicked, couldn't cast and melee at the same time... Guess I didn't know that hehe. Died like 5 times
    Now i'm off to work

Phredicon and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  5. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Being hard to play in the middle wouldn't be bad if there were other bonuses for these types of player. They may not make the best PvPers but they may have special skills unrelated to PvP that makes these middle of the road players worthwhile.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I totally agree.

What about skills that can be used in combat, but aren't exactly damage related skills. Some like root has a tactical purpose, but spells like blink can be useful, but only when you want to teleport away... otherwise that spell acts almost like a slug when you dont need it.... then again if you do need it and it isn't there that isn't so good either.

This is not a major fustration. Combat is still fun, but it would be nice if we are able to pull things out of our tool box.

I also see the need for having the ability to continuously level and always strive to gain more and more skills. Deck building seems like a process you are not likely to ever be satisfied with we need to get lots of skills.

EDIT: Maybe having a fixed tool box of skills activated by a button with a cool down will resolve that.

Lord Lonn Bimmer likes this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That's where I see the brilliance in it to be honest. The need to adjust your skill deck....we don't even know if there will be ways to find other abilities to the deck...like derived from weapons and armor.So many possibilities. It adds a layer of complexity below the skin, I really like it.

Perhaps another way to do those spells is to have ones you don't want able to be clicked out with a shorter replenishment time depending on what exactly it is. This wouldn't and shouldn't work for slugs.

I'm not sure if there are amplifiers that pop up as well? like boost spell damage? That would add some complexity.

Phredicon likes this.
  8. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Looks interesting and promising. Can't wait to try it tomorrow!

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  9. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

This is likely not how the game will work later. Right now it must use the logic where if your weapon is sheathed you are out of combat, if drawn you are in combat. In the future I expect it will also need to meet the requirement if anyone has you selected and they are in combat mode it puts you in combat mode, sheathed or not. That is how other games handle it to prevent that tactic. All parties have to stop combat.

Myrcello likes this.
  10. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Am I dumb and old, I cant get my head around the point of this card system?

Freeman and Lord Lonn Bimmer like this.
  11. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Thanks LL Bimmer, appreciate that.. I worked out how to configure it but am curious as to the logic of this system?

Ill hit the PVP and see how I go ;-)

Lord Lonn Bimmer likes this.
  12. Frank Bach

Frank Bach Avatar

Hearing that there will be a card aka glyph system let me buy this game (I also like the description GLYPHS more than CARDS even if I am a big fan of Magic the gathering).

Its nice to see that this system is more individual in how a fight can feel and you have to act more, how can I say, situation-related which makes it feel less static/generic. (pushing 1, 2, 3, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1,2,3,5,...dead) I played many mmo rpgs where I figured out that a designated skill setup is the best for being competitive, so I normally didn't changed the setup very often which resulted in boredom.

I belive that this system can be very random if you wish so, which brings in LUCK as a small or bigger to huge factor, depending on how many different skills you want to use and if you are in plates or just cloth leggins. Chaos will be my favoured playstile, I belive :) What's going to hit you next, you ask? How should I know? Muahaha!
    Not to forget, that movement and the line of sight will be important to succeed. I haven't logged in and tried so far, this are all speculations and mental cinema, I will see how it work and feel in a couple of hours after work. No. I will go home now :D

I am too excited.

13. Mata

Mata Avatar

:D

14. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Something different, fun, challenging. Most importantly the system should be Fun. Give it some time and a few more releases, if most people don't think its Fun they'll scrap it and do something else. So far from what I've read most people are enjoying it. I'm one who likes it.

One thing I like about it, as someone above posted, is each fight feels slightly different. In other games it's the same rotation every time for maximum DPS. In this game I feel like things are bit different each fight, although I still end up using the same skills, the order changes a bit. Once they add in combos will be where the real fun begins, saving skills discarding them, getting the combo just right for big effect. Things like that I am really looking forward to.

15. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

It's just too difficult to say. The game isn't really playable now and it's hard to guess.

I enter a zone trying to find something.
    I wait for the zone to load.
    I stumble around in the dark trying to find a wolf.
    I annoy it enough to get it to chew on my leg.
    I hope that the game figures out I'm in combat and pulls up my deck.
    The deck slowly deals out slugs while the wolf dies from auto attack.
    Repeat.

I understand how early we are in the game. But there's nothing to really evaluate at this point. What does my gear / deck look like at level 1? What does reasonable progression look like? It's tough to gauge real speed because it's all going to get 10x faster (or more for the loading screens).

16. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Why are you using your own leg as bait?! Use a baby or little girl/boy!
    But yeah, it's still early in development, bait needs to be more plentiful.

17. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

If you are looking for suggestions, my initial one would be to simply stay in combat mode between bouts. That way the draw system doesn't need to restart every time.

Or start combat mode earlier, so the draw system has time to populate your combat bar, and *then* attack the critter.

Be prepared.

----

Personally, from my perspective there is already a lot to consider when working with the deck system, even with it half implemented.

Going to love when there are more glyph choices, and I have to *really* effort on where to put my points, or how to stack my deck.

Glorious. :)

18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Push the Z button to enter combat mode before engaging to pull up your skills, you can even run around town in combat mode if you desire. (regen suffers, I expect guard reactions eventually) I was able to get my fire elemental to attack things and other players in town, that was fun (it did 0 damage though). That way you can also wait till the right skills cycle in if you are waiting for something to open the fight with.

Also, I put a bunch of points in the faster draw speed and went with no locked skills, that was fun. fastest draw speed...

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  19. Frank Bach

Frank Bach Avatar

Do you like the new update R8 with the new card glyph system?
    Gefällt dir das neue Update mit dem neuen Glyphensystem?

20. Mata

Mata Avatar

Ich mußte nur so lachen wegen deiner letzten Sätze. :D
    Das neue System habe ich noch gar nicht testen können,
    bzw. bin da auch noch gar nicht richtig durchgestiegen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.