1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Deck Mode DOMINATION (Your guide to building a deck for PvP)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lum the Mad, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

From what I could see the slugs stayed around for the same amount of time as the other glyphs. The disadvantage, of course, is that they take up a slot what can't be filled by a skill or spell.

However, one tidbit from the video is that using a lsug is going to remove it from the slot.

2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I did try it. I understand it if you need to do it after a battle.

But it was actually a tactical reason to do it during a battle.

So we started to run around putting the sword away with the enemy chasing us to heal up faster.

I did find it silly from my side to see a warrior put his weapons away during a fight to "heal". I mean we are in a battle of live and death.
    No one would ever , not a warrior , put his weapon away as a tactical battle reason.

I an not for 100% realism. But this was awkward.
    Heal ok. But not meaningful for a ongoing battle please

But maybe it is not supposed to be a in battle tactical element. Only currently.

This was my current experience. Maybe i understood it wrong.
    So developers or other players. Do not lawyer me. Grin.

3. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

You can right click a slug and it goes away as i
    Understood the system.

4. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Ill lawyer you Myrcello xD. If you are severely wounded, i think at least you should have your hands free to stop the bleeding and heal faster. Dangerous? of course. It is fine with me :).

Numa, Kaisa and Myrcello like this.
  5. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Perhaps, Myrcello, it would be easier for you and others from a conceptual point of view, if you remember that magically healing one's self or health regeneration doesn't occur at all realistically, so sheathing one's weapon to do so in combat in a fantasy game is as legitimate as, well, being able to "heal". ^.^

Myrcello likes this.
  6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Well we are on different planets then on this.

I will overextend my point now. If i run around naked because removing my armor will let me heal up more during battle is the same thinking.
    But shows more my point i have a problem with.
    Naked during battle as a tactical way ?

Do you agree. Non different logic for me then saying but your weapon away.

I would suggest that if you put your weapon away that healing starts maybe only if a battle is stoped.

docdoom77 likes this.
  7. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Hahaha - Too funny!
    I'm going to start a guild called <Dallas Mode Sluggers> just for old (school) farts like us! >.<

8. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

maybe they can even add stretch goal for gamepads support? :p

TEK likes this.
  9. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

increase chance to fizzle ... we're testing chaos skills not blades!!!

10. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I don't know about anyone else's experience last night, but I found that casting spells while wearing plate armor to be rather frustrating :mad:

Sure, switching to leather armor improved spell casting slightly (as it did reduce the number of slugs and the fizzle rate a bit as Chris noted), but then I would get mortally wounded by hand held weapons while waiting for my focus to recharge and the desired card to pop up. (Seemed pretty darn slow even when spending two or three points in the proper focus skills.) Actually, I swear I actually seemed to be getting better spell performance in Dallas mode than I did in regular mode, even with the added penalties o_O (I tried out both types of decks.)

My desired strategy - fire off a fireball or lightning bolt first, then run up and wail on my opponent with my Great Sword using Double Thrust, Whirling Blades, and Coup De Grace) didn't seem to be working at all :eek: (Stepped into one of those PvP zones and ended up getting killed rather quickly by Sir Trady of Blix three times in a row :oops:) Perhaps I should learn this "root" spell as Chris recommended (although it goes against my character concept - he wouldn't be using earth magic.) All in all, a rather disappointing experience :(

Lord Baldrith and Joviex like this.
  11. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I think "fun" is still somewhat of a bug at this stage. Just keep reporting your findings and testing different builds. There's still a lot to be added and tweaked.

So do any of you guys who've played have trouble with the random abilities? I have a really hard time focusing on more than one thing at once. I'm concerned that I won't be able to watch the bar and watch my enemies at the same time. I guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow or friday when I get a chance to test it out!

12. Gabriel Nightshadow

I found that increasing the number of slots in regular mode made it more difficult to keep track of everything (watching both my opponent's actions and the changing slots). I tested four to six slots, and found four actually worked best for me. I actually preferred Dallas mode :cool: Even with ten slots, there was less to keep track of since they were all locked. Yup, us old-timers really needed that :D Unfortunately, the stiff penalties associated with it - increased cooldown and 50% more focus cost - really make it very ineffective in PvP :( I probably wouldn't last more than five - ten seconds in The Bear Tavern Brawl using that :eek:

docdoom77 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I have a question.
    When it comes to active skills, adding additional points to these active skills allows for more uses of this skill during combat. Is there any reason to place additional points into innate skills?

14. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Maybe powerful effects?

Ravenclaw [BEAR] likes this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I really think casting spells in plate should be frustrating....

Numa, Gaelis, Kaisa and 1 other person like this.
  16. Gabriel Nightshadow

It really is :mad: The way things are working now, in order to be effective in combat you have to be at either end of the spectrum - you're either a powerful mage in cloth armor (weak physical attacks and defense) or a heavily armored fighter who might use only a handful of life magic spells to keep you and your party members healthy (weak offensive spells). Trying to play a character somewhere in between - chain or plate armor and some strong offensive and defensive spells (like I normally do) is pretty darn hard :( Definitely still needs a lot of work with regards to PvP balance...

Numa and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I agree. Casting spells in plate should be strongly discouraged until very high level.

Kaisa likes this.
  18. Gabriel Nightshadow

I strongly disagree with that o_O Why discourage the development of well-rounded characters and force players into the stereotypical roles of fighter or mage ?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, this isn't strictly a pvp competition game so I don't think the goal is to make a perfectly balanced PVP game. There will be and should be some give or take to use armor or spells....now obviously the balance will change as further testing is done.

AndiZ275 likes this.
  20. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Hmm yes Gabriel. Perhaps a more even balance could be achieved. Still need penalties for casting in heavy armour though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.