Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Disappointed in land rush

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Oyjord Hansen, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Hi all,

I love the game and I'm glad I'm an early supporter, but I have to say, I'm really disappointed in the land rush. I've been playing quite a bit today, and have about 20k gold. That's HALF of what I need to claim a lot. And yet it seems most (all?) the lots are now taken. WTH? The build's been live for what, 8 hours?!

I don't want something for nothing. I don't mind grinding for gold and waiting to buy a lot deed then house deed. But by the time I *do* get the 40k for a lot deed, there will be no land to claim.

It'd be a shame to miss out on one of the key aspects of the game simply because I have a job and family and can't grind 24x7.

How about simply throwing together 10, 20, 30...more scenes of nothing but house plots? The overland map can clearly support it.

Just my two gold,
    Hoylegu.

2. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

It's Pre-Alpha, all the towns aren't even in the game yet. And some pledge levels come with free lots/houses, so they dont need to grind.

3. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

you do realize this so called land rush was meaningless?

Come beta when the actual land rush occurs it will be done by pledge level starting at LOTM ending with citizen.

4. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

Or you could join a player owned town and have the owner set aside a lot for you, I suppose.

5. Willowhawk

Willowhawk Avatar

I'm impressed with your 20K gold in one day, that's inspiring since I figured it would take weeks (or more) to be able to afford a home. ;) That aside, this is the second post I have read that claims all the land is already taken. I agree with you, I do not mind doing the work to earn my way in game, even if it takes months to accomplish. In fact when I signed up I assumed that was one of the game objectives. But if we aren't even given the opportunity then it seems a bit pointless to even try since that is the main appeal of SOTA.

And while I agree that people who have the means to support the game in greater amounts should get preferential treatment, without the housing prospect for the rest, or the ability to acquire all the things the game has to offer with hard work, then it's just a pay to win game for those with money.

And Death- knell, how does that help hoylegu or others who pledge below Citizen level? Seems it only makes it easier for those with large pledges. Or was that your point.

amaasing likes this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

People continue to miss the point about why people want to get a plot.

They want to test the housing, it isn't a solution for the player to wait until release.

I walked around and found a lot after about an hour of searching, most lots were taken and empty, because some players claimed more then one.

I think everyone understands it's alpha, but they also want to be able to add to the discussion on housing.

dudina, Vyrin, Syylk and 7 others like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Stressing again.. pre-alpha. The ratio of housing to players with pledges is no where near what it is going to be. The fact that it's pre-alpha and at this particular stage.. is simply not favorable to those without high pledges. But remember the goal here is testing.. it's all going to get wiped and we're no where near having all the land available yet.

Be patient with the game. There are still a few wipes in the future and a LOT more housing to open up. What lots exist now make up probably less than 1/10 of what there will be.. and that's not including the 80+ player owned towns that will be going in.

E n v y likes this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You really didn't understand what I said?

I think people want the chance to test and provide feedback as well.....after all like you said the goal is testing.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Excuse me but I was in the middle of posting at the time. I didn't have the chance to read what you said.

Hettar and Archibald Leatherneck like this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Cool, I was like did he just ignore everything I typed?:p sorry.

Hettar and Archibald Leatherneck like this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No I get it. :) but I think the bigger point is that being pre-alpha.. housing is only going to open up so fast.. but.. it will open up. Everyone will eventually have a chance to own and test housing before launch. I realize people are excited and anxious but some will just have to be patient.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think some zones of just test lots would appease a lot of people.....doesn't have to be anything special just a zone of multiple lots.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I could live with that.. and it's something they could do in R15 since we should be seeing the first iteration of the overland map if memory serves. Just put down some temporary towns where there's space. Then again.. if we have access to the entire map they should be able to put all the player run towns down.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This is the first release I have actually owned a lot....so I need to mess around with it for a bit to see how I like it. I already noticed that village houses are tiny....row house are much bigger.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I haven't even had a chance to patch up yet.. that won't be until tomorrow. Might not even get a lot this time it sounds like.. and I do have a deed waiting for me at the bank.

Heradite likes this.
  16. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

If someone can tell me if the Permissions on a house/lot are working then I would be more than happy to give permissions to you on my house and you can decorate and test all you want. I have other things I am testing and won't be 'decorating' anytime soon. Then once you get enough money for a lot you can take your 'stuff' and put it in your own place.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Permissions should be working. They were in for R12.

amaasing likes this.
  18. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

In Ardoris, there are still tons of row lots available. At first glance they look like they're taken because there's a house on all the lots. Once taken the sign will look blank. If it's available, you can see text on the sign and the house will be a wood & plaster 2 story.

No idea about the other areas. At a glance it looks like Kingsport and Owls Head are full but I didn't really check. Also, it doesn't hurt to go around periodically and check because sometimes people claim in one spot and then change their minds and claim somewhere else, releasing the first one.

I agree that the housing is the main draw of this game. At least it is for me and some others I know. Definitely would be nice if everyone got a chance to test it out. They'll probably add more even before release, or least I would think so.

Sean Silverfoot (PAX) likes this.
  19. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I just checked, and Northshire still has almost half its lots free, Port Mirren is 1/3 empty, and Ardoris has over 100 row lots open. (There may be more in other villages - I just went and talked to town criers as I was running around)

20. no_excuses_its_released

no_excuses_its_released Avatar

I had the same problem, there were no row lots anywhere. I upgraded to Citizen and you can find a village lots almost anywhere.

See, problem solved and it will only cost you an additional $275. ;-)

Dorian Drokk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.