Enhancements for Dynamic POTs - ideas?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

Yes, so they should be PoT owner placeable instead of being part of the map. I would love to hide the boats as well.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Rufus skims through the thread and cherry picks...
    All of this is coming...
    What is the purpose? Would the idea be that all residents are automatically granted Guest level access? Trustee?
    I have been, am, and always will be opposed to fast travel options.
    I think the 'More Options' like multiple entrance locations would likely be easier to implement.
    Yes, Please... I would also like to see some Stone Benchs and Tables for exterior deco.
    "Even Bigger Pavers..." I was the progenitor of the "Giant Paver" during a conversation I was having with Dark Starr... I think part of it was to push me Dynamic, as at the time I was very on the fence about remaining Dynamic or locking as a Static template. ;) The original concept was pavers the sizes of lots... All the way up to City size lots... That's not what was implemented. If they were, I would certainly be able to make use of them, but I would really rather see some other methodology for paving large areas that didn't eat up Deco Limit... Perhaps the 'steam roller' to go with the lawn mower... This would also potentially eliminate the need/desire for the curved road pavers suggested later in the thread... While I sympathize with and understand the desire... I think any set of such would either need to be ridiculously large or be of limited flexibility and thereby usefullness.

"Electric Fences" At one point this was supposed to have been one of the effects of the Moontower, along with providing power for the whole scene, and protecting the scene from sieges.
    Yes Please. I very much like what is happening in the other thread on this subject.
    Yes Please. Paper Doll and Magic Mirrors for my NPCs please... Along with the facility to script dialog for them... Though I could immediately see that becoming a Customer Support Nightmare.
    If we're going to be requesting new lot types, I would like to put forth the key component of one of my proposals for implementing Central Markets...
    • 5x5m "Stall Lots"
    Big enough for a Vendor Stall... Various types of vendor stalls could be made/sold/craftable. Fancy, Rustic, Ornate, Wood, Stone... The lots would work under all the same rules as any other lots... but they could be grouped together to make a real central market that would look and function like a central market... A Deed would be required to claim one... The deed could be taxed...

People could then use their houses as houses, and not every street would be lined with Vendor after Vendor, and you wouldn't need to walk all over the bloody town to find them.
    Pretty much everything Spoon said... except the fast travel bit. :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i believe that a boatman from one island in a pot to another, is needed. but fast travel within the town itself is not. i do not want to have to get wet just to get to a friends house, or an exit.
    when we can make boats and use them ourselves, i think those boatmen should be taken away. :)

maybe the taxing of the deeds is based on a tax placed on each item sold, and taken automatically from the profits of the item itself as it is sold. and any amount UNDER some minimum tax limit, i.e. if the vendor didn't sell enough, is then paid by the player. of course that type of taxation would come later, as they're already using a different tax method for now and we wouldn't want them to spend too much time on that, than the rest of the game prior to final release. :)

4. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

I assume you are against Ardoris Boatsmen as well.

I don't get it. Letting PoT owner place fast travel within their PoT at their own discretion does not harm you in any way (unless may be in PvP situations).
    You are free to walk if you do not want to use it, and neither are you coerced into placing them in your PoTs.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Fast travel makes the world small. It made the world small in Ultimate Online and I don't want to see the same happen here.

Hazard, ThurisazSheol and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  6. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Automatically gain kindred access, so there can be a residents warehouse/community chest house.

7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

It does have the potential to make the world small, if utilized in the wrong ways. If utilized correctly, it can have a much different effect on the player.. Mazes, fun pvp chases, obstacle courses, jumping puzzles, getting the player out of hairy situations they normally wouldn't survive in.. The last one would be designed to raise the adrenaline of the player, as it would be planned that even folks with combat abilities akin to @Themo Lock wouldnt survive it.... I. E. Part of a storyline.

8. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

That idea would work really well with a forested template too ;)

Womby, Themo Lock and majoria70 like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Mountain meadow too..

Womby and Themo Lock like this.
  10. Womby

Womby Avatar

We can already place trees. I'd like to be able to place wildflowers, clouds of butterflies and public notice boards to which you can attach notes.

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

yesssssss

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I would also like the option to place agricultural fields and trees like some of the npc towns have (lemon trees,apple tree, pumpkin patches etc)

13. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I would like to add some more ideas:
    - different types of castle wall towers (e.g. squared or “decorative” towers with large vision panels)

- fallen trees/tree stubs (maybe usable as bench/table)

- bridges (wood, steel, stone,…) to create your own river crossings (maybe even larger bridges by placing sub-developments next to each other to create something like the bridges in Adoris)

- custom weather (no direct influence but you could choose preferred weather conditions at a “weather machine” e.g. fog, rain, sunny, storm, snowfall,… and these conditions are more likely active)

- sentry boxes/toll bar

- bird’s nests (placeable in existing trees or in combination with a tree) and corresponding birds flying/singing within an area (e.g. peek-a-boo, eagle, blackbird, thrush,…) (more or less like the Gothic Mansion and the bats)

- shipwreck/air shipwreck (maybe two versions one more or less complete and one just a remaining framework)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    KuBaTRiZeS and Themo Lock like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

After being in R35 running around tweaking and adding trees here and there and beautifying the town, I am so wishing for some more deco spots and also more place-able items in our POTs. I know this has been said before, but please please please. :) @DarkStarr @LordBritish2

Frederick Glasgow and Themo Lock like this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

One thing I would like, though it's admitedly way down on the want list, is the current style castle walls, but 50% taller.
    I would also like this... The main street running east from the main gate of my town ends at the river... and were I to ever want to expand my town, I would love to be able to put a bridge in that spot and continue the street to the other side of the river.

Themo Lock likes this.
  16. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

My list of desirable "town tools" and deco items:

• Transport System (like Ardoris Ferryman). You would get a pair of NPC's that you could place in your town and they would take you to a set of designated spots within your town. The visual transportation could be a hot air balloon, cart and donkey, horse and wagon, or rickshaw, etc.
    • An Earth Mover tool. It would allow you to fill in a limited amount of ground for you to level an area or create an area for housing in a part of your town that doesn't currently allow housing. You can put a limit on how much ground it can move. Once limit is met, it will cost an amount of in-game gold for further editing, but further editing can only be done upon restoring the part of the scene you already changed.
    • Tree/Shrub Removal tool. (I know this is on it's way, but I will believe it, when I see it.)
    • Decoration Limit should be increased. (Not by 10, 20, or 40, but by a hundred or so for each town size)
    • Town Walls and Roadways. Why should that new wall you built in your town take 15 or more pieces for a specific length? Instead, walls should be offered on larger scale, so that same section only takes 2 pieces. Same goes for cobblestone roadways. Rather than relying on developers to pre-designate a cobblestone center/roadway, give the tools to the town owner to build them where they want. For a cost of course! Great gold-sink idea here folks!
    • Changing town exit/entrance should be done on the world map town signs. The Town Crier should also be moved (tied) based upon entance/exit change.
    • Daylight/Night Time/Weather Tool. I bet there are quite a few people who would like perpetual night in their town. PvP would be interesting if the town was shrouded in fog at night, with dimly lit windows from a maze of row houses.
    • Entance/Exit Radius Tool. For those of us who don't like a Metropolis sized scene, why can't there be a tool that increases or decreases a circle around a part of the scene, which would indicated the entrance/exit threshold? That would be the best thing since sliced bread!
    If I could only pick one from my entire list, I would choose the Entance/Exit Radius Tool. The main reason I wanted a Holdfast, was to allow players to immediately step into the town and be right where everything was going on, have fast load times, reduce lag etc. All that changed when they made a "one size fits all metropolis scene"

If the developers wanted an incentive to create these tools, then they should consider that they could generate much more income for the game, create necessary in-game gold-sinks for the economy, and provide players with in-game goals/accomplishments. Some of my suggestions we should pay cash for, some things we should pay in-game gold for. Imagine placing a cobblestone center or roadway in your town. How would it happen? Do we have to craft it first? (perfect use of granite blocks). After confirming placement, should it cost in-game gold to demolish it later if you want to change it? How about town residents having a goal? Maybe a list of things that can be bought for the town are specifically accomplished by player contributions of resources and in-game gold? What if the walls you placed started off as log posts? As time goes by, residents could contribute certain resources via in-game mechanic to a pre-designated wall type. Upon reaching certain steps on your way to that level, the wall dynamically changes visually to stacked rock wall, or plain block faced wall. As you reach the top tier wall, maybe there are carvings on it's face, or the wall is taller than traditional walls purchased in-game...etc. You can apply that type of upgrade to NPC town buildings, stadiums, stages, transport sytems ........

The point of all of this? I hope the developers aren't selling theirselves short on further development of town offerings. I hope they can visualize and have robust ideas beyond the "tree/shrub removal tool". @Darkstar

Themo Lock and John Markus like this.
  17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

The decoration limit is currently my biggest concern. I paid for a holdfast. I know it's far from the metropolis but, well, I couldn't hardly connect the twenty one village lots available with a paved road (only 40 decorations allowed and 5 lights), even with the giant pavers, not to mention the fact I could not put anything else if I do that. Fortunately, I chose a template with preinstalled walls but this is not the case for everyone.

The level of customization allowed by this limit is very very poor. Even in the holdfast, there is an irreducible number of decorations (and lights) expected to give life to the place and avoid "random buildings slapping together".

Double the decoration limit, then add 100 or something like this to them (and at least 30 for the lights) for each town size. It would be a good start. I do not mean to change the NPC or NPC building limit, as this is for me a justified difference between a simple holdfast and a metropolis.

PS : And as Tenebrae is supposed to be the city of eternal twilight, it would be delightful if I could choose, at least, a cloody weather for my POT.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Themo Lock likes this.
  18. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I do have one suggestion which would help out POT owners I believe, and it would work like a paver does already. Have crafted items which when placed will be flowers, wheat in a field or other items tbd. It would give town owners for flexibility in their towns. Also one of these items needs to be grass,so we can cover areas such as the generic stone areas that many POT have.

ThurisazSheol and Themo Lock like this.
  19. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

If the problem is performance, give us tools to change ground textures. Some "brush" which allow to change a grass area into paved roads or meadow or soil. And for some textures (paved areas, wood boards textures, soil) trees and twigs would be removed automatically.

But in all cases, 40 decorations for an holdfast or 260 for a metropolis, it's not sufficient. With 40 decorations, I didn't managed to decorate an area the size of a keep lot.

majoria70 likes this.
  20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

railroad ties, we can place on paths somewhat buried into the earth from time to time due to erosion...or when we cut a path through a hill...etc.

Themo Lock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.