Enhancements for Dynamic POTs - ideas?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

My friends,

I really like the way this thread is going so Thank You! ... Lots of brainstorming. Dump in the ideas!

I enjoy reading and replying in these forums every day or few days as I can ... Here, I replied to several of the ideas with personal quotes because when I read them, your ideas just jump out at me and I said "yes!" (innovative!). I like ALL ideas and it looks like Portalarium is listening. GREAT!

Personally I'm really passionate about these POT things help make our Realm as unique and great as possible. That's why I'm here and a backer.

Please also reply to others too--quote them or parts of their message--to emphasize something that is important to you. The more we tell Portalarium what we desire, the better. It looks like they are listening.

... Wow! Great stuff ... Keep FISHing!

Leelu, Mata, Themo Lock and 1 other person like this.
  2. Winfield

Well done @Weins201 on that thread! It has some great ideas! Thanks!

Months and months go by ... we revisit ideas ... then at some point, we bring them back together. Timing is sometimes everything and I'm so glad the archive here is complete and retrievable. Thanks for the info Wiens201!

Leelu, Mata, Themo Lock and 2 others like this.
  3. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

So what I would love to decorate my pot with is all kind of things that will change the landscape. So we could be a world builder within the pot. Saying that I am thinking of

- rocks small to very large
    - hills with grass on it different sizes
    - more trees like the yew tree
    - ponds and lakes

And there is so much more to think of.

4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I've been trying to put them in that barn wall there. Not sure what the issue is.

Leelu, Winfield, Mata and 2 others like this.
  5. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Shotgun houses, for village lots! Like in New Orleans, two per building. Rentable rooms.

Let us choose which frontage style, too!

Leelu, Winfield, Mata and 3 others like this.
  6. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Reading and thinking about it…I would like to add this:

- More flexibility with walls. It is quite tricky to place a wall at the borders of a flat area as you are not allowed to place on rough ground and just a small range of the wall can be moved into each other. I would suggest extending the range walls can be moved into each other. This way you could place walls on areas where normally would be place for e.g. 3.5 walls.

- Adding a “inverted stone wedge castle wall” (e.g. recipe of “stone wedge castle wall” + protractor angle finder) without the loop holes on the wider side

- Adding a set of castle walls with loop holes on both sides or even better a set of castle walls without loop holes and the possibility to manually set crafted loop holes to place them as you need them.

- Possibility to use your houses (e.g. Rustic 3-Story Village Home, Lord Houseboat,…) as NPC-houses/decoration.

- Larger versions of most decorative items walls, hatches, cobblestone pavements, … to reduce the counter of PoT-decorative items

- outside wall decoration to make large walls look less monotonously (e.g. Ivy wall plants, …) maybe as large as the backside of a row house

- Curtains and window boxes (flowers) for house windows

- Barricades and war machines (catapult, ballista, battering ram,…) e.g. to create a siege scene

- Large agricultural fields (flowers, corn, apple trees, …) as decoration as we can see them e.g. in Brittany Fields

- More types of castle walls/cobblestone pavements. e.g. skull cobblestone, obsidian cobblestone, marble cobblestone,… or bone castle walls, metallic castle walls (chopper, iron, gold,…), wooden castle walls,…

- Possibility to create some kind of farm road…more or less dirt and maybe even downhill

- Different types of castle gates e.g. a steel-reinforced wooden gate

- A banner with two rods to e.g. span a road. maybe writeable. Maybe with adjustable length of the banner within limits (e.g. 1 to 3 meter) by moving the rods

- Decorations for water areas. E.g. water lily, stacks of reed, swimming rowboats, landing piers, shelfs, …

- livestock (cows, chicken, pigs, horses,…) as PoT-decoration

Leelu, KuBaTRiZeS, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So since people called for a braindump I will have to apologize in advance, this is going to be a bit large and a lot of things at once.

But lets start with a couple of abbreviated top 10 lists.

Top 10 - Tips to other owners
    1. There is a 30º keybind in the options - That is a life saver when doing lot placement.
    2. A POT bag
      I rename one bag POT and place all the NPC/property markers/etc into that bag.
    3. A POT container in a central house.
      So that I can put/get the POT bag + content easily
    4. I always have 1 map of the town in that bag, so that I can pull up the mini-map whenever needed
    5. When doing placement of items or property - pull up the minimap - take a screenshot. That way I can do property maps and know where stuff is later
    6. If you have an NPC slot extra - then always put an NPC Banker in your POT bag - that way you can put deco and whatnots in the bank and run around lightweight with the banker instead... Keep your friends close and your banker closer...
    7. Put in space for later - when doing layouts always put in blanks here and there that you might want to use later. That way you don't have to move your residents just because Portalarium added a new cool feature (like blessings)
      So add a "redundant" lot/Npc house which serves no purpose but to fill that space for later
    8. Put a Post Box with permissions for Public deposits but Trustee+ withdrawal - really early in the scene, so that you can have anyone dump stuff but not take stuff
    9. Use the "residents" permission wisely. Since if they claim something they become residents and can claim something else which might not be the intention.
    10. When adding to crafting pavillion type places add a Printing Press.

Biggest rage inducers which gets me every time....Hmm... That proved to be very very very negative really quick - new plan.

Top 10 easy Fixes to remove the biggest rage inducers for owners, heh that was better, and this would be what my doctor ordered since it would really help with my blood pressure.
    1. Treekillers.
      We need a deco item which has no 'blocking', which is so small that I can place it in terrain, whose only purpose is to kill foliage in a wide area around it.
      Trees have easily cost me 100's and 100's of hours when doing layout and is the number one reason for having to start all over from scratch - they are the bane of any good vistas or views. Hate, hate, hate, hate them. Trees are for real the only single factor that once had me thinking about selling my POT. True story. Nothing else has even come close to budge me slightly in that direction. But trees really gets under my skin since they ruin my creativity, they limit my choices, and they remove my options.
      Will post a separate post with screenshots to highlight this issue.
      If I could I would set Treekillers as my top 1-91 choice and have the below list as 92-100.
    2. Text Tags in the lot list.
      So I have 5 village claims and 12 row claims but can't see which is which since I own them all. Neither can I see what purpose they are for, like which one is my Crafters' Corner?
      Adding a short custom text tag that is shown in the Town Crier list and in the Deeds List 'u'-key interfaces would solve this - AND - give a lot of emergent game play, since that way I can name them according to function and that would be displayed to my visitors when they talk to the Town Crier.
      What is the purpose of naming something Chaos Church, or Avatars Academy, or Thermae bath house, or Crafters' Corner, if no one knows it?
      If the Town Crier has this text tag info then any visitor in any town can Set As Compass Point and go directly to it.
    3. Setting lot permissions from a single location.
      We need a list like the Town Crier's (could even be that one) where we get a cogwheel on each line which goes to the Permissions so that I can adjust them all in one go.
      This since running around the whole scene just to change some permissions is a waste of time spent better elsewhere.
    4. Being able to have Permission GroupLists
      Wherever I can set an individual name in Permissions, I want to be able to instead set a GroupList. So that by adding that list to permissions to several lots, then all I have to do is edit the GroupList itself to add/remove someone from all of those permissions.
      Say you have a shortlist of 10 people you want to add again and again in Permissions. There is no way of doing that.
      Say that you had a falling out with 1 person who has Permissions on several lots and you want to remove that person from all those permissions at once. There is no way of doing that.
      I could give a loooooooong list of emergent gameplay this would enable.
    5. Remove the Meta talk and change the "Player-Owned-Town" name
      Change the very name POT and PRT to something with an atmosphere.
      We need a name for POTs that NPCs can use in their dialog without it being bonkers. The very word "player" should never exist within in game dialog.
      We need a name that can use a shorthand that is not an acronym, which will only confuse the new.
      My old suggestion from last time I brought this up was:
      Player-Owned-Town >> Outlander Estate > shorthand "estate", also a designation 'I live in the Lux Sanctuary estate' means you live in a player owned scene named Lux Sanctuary.
      Player-Run-Town >>>> Outlander Commune> shorthand "commune", also a designation ' I live in the Holtrot commune' means you live in a player lot scene named Holtrot.
      NPC-Story-Town >>>> Britonian Borough >shorthand "borough", also a designation 'I live in the Brittany Alleys borough' means you live in an NPC scene named Brittany Alleys.
      You can even triage this, ask someone who hasn't seen this topic and knows the difference between POT, PRT and NPCT, to guess which is which among "estate", "commune" and "borough". If 80% get it right then we are golden.
    6. POT NPCs as "pick-from-bag" with "revert-to-bag"
      The limit should be how many NPCs that comes with the POT size. Not what types Portalarium assigned (1 male 1 female etc).
      Say you are @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos and you want all your 15 NPCs to be guards. Then you very quickly run into issues.
      Or say you are a @Budner type and want all NPCs to be female. Then you run into issues (and an inevitable slap).
      Adding the pick-from-bag and the revert-to-bag, would also allow Portalarium to add new types of POT NPCs with less hassle if they come up with some new grand thing. Just put it in the selectable list and those governers that want them can revert-to-bag an existing one and then pick-from-bag the new choice.
    7. Public Vendor as a POT NPC choice
      Speaking of adding new types of NPCs. The big lift for Player-Run-Towns was when they got Public Vendors and such things.
      This is for all those who don't own their own deed, with the rental features coming these will be common among folks living in/on someone else's property so they can't have a vendor of their own, yet they live in that POT. It is such a frustrating and daunting task as an owner that Public Vendors elsewhere are so much better at catering to the deedless than what a POT can offer.
    8. Town Crier as a POT NPC choice
      Since Portalarium insists on having the Town Crier hidden in the middle of the scene, which is so frustrating but understandable since entrances will change in future, then please let us place our own town criers where we NEED them to be, ie at the entrance of the scene, or wherever else we feel that we need a guide to help steer folks right.
      Or at least add the "lots" functionality to our Guards.
    9. Let us place our own Deco Pets as a POT NPC choice
      For the "dynamic" towns to really pop - where are the animals?
      How can I place cats, dogs, cows etc in my scene?
    10. Let owners add POI
      POI=Points of Interest, it is what gets you a ding and an icon on the compass point.
      Make it limited number of slots or whatever to keep it feasible. But this would help soooooo much, with emergent gameplay and organisation of towns. I don't know how many times people ask me where I've placed X and I fully understand why they ask.
      Also see the below ideas to build on this.

List of random Ideas
    1. Points of Interest
      If owners can place a number of POI to a scene with a short text tag, then we can add a lot of features building from that.
      1. When you talk to a POT NPC like the Barkeep, the Town Crier or the Guards. Then they could have the keyword "directions" in their dialog. If you give that then they list the POI as per their text tags with highlight/underscor, if you then click the key word which is the POI it gets added to your compass. You could even add a 10g gold sink to this, pay the Barkeep/Crier/Guard 10g to give you the "directions".
      2. You can create a signpost asset with signs which actually point in the direction of the POI and if you hover on the individual sign it will give you the POI tag text. This asset could even be used by Portalarium in regular boroughs and districts as part of the scene (see what I did?) using the same tech and asset.
        Put it in the addon store - I'd buy it.
      3. Let us craft POI maps which we can hand out as flyers, or which people can doubleclick. That way when you enter the town and we want them to head over the Party over 'there' we simply hand out POI maps, which when used adds the POT POIs to their compass.
      4. This would help those who live in a POT since through exploring the scene they would get compass markers.
    2. Town Crier/guard giving names of Stewards
      Due to time zones and delegation it might be stewards who might be available - but the individual players have no way of finding out the names of Stewards of a town.
      The owner they can see under compass.
    3. Stewards in absence
      Want to be able to set 'Steward in Absence' to a player which would gain Steward rights if the Governor was away for X time. But which would lose Steward rights as soon as the owner logs in.
      This to prevent the collapse of a community just because the owner isn't present for a while.
    4. Add the old "lots" functionality to Guards
      That way we can ask POT guards about directions to where we want to go.
    5. Ankhs as a POT Building
      a building that includes a ressurrection ankh.
    6. Add a short "description" when you hover on the overland map
      This should be for all types of settlements but makes a lot of sense for POTs specifically.
      Give us a tweet sized text block to describe our settlement, that shows up when you hover on it on the overland map.
      This would be similar to asking the local peasant along the way "what is that settlement over there that I see on that hill?" - "well sire, that is xxx known for yyy and zzz".
    7. Scene kits - atmosphere
      So in the addon store now we have "trees" which one can add to give atmosphere. We recently saw the addition of "ruins" as well.
      But to make it easier on you (and us). Then please consider a POT Crowns merchant that sells things which add that ambiance to a scene, but in large enough scale to fit a pot. But really only things you already have in other scenes. Things like
      1. Pond - a village lot sized water, this is not a 'hole' but rather a 'hill' with a pond in it.
      2. Geyser - there she blows (Nightshade pass)
      3. Field of wheat/corn etc to showcase farmland (brittany fields, estergard)
      4. large meadow of flowers
      5. Butterfly shrubberies
      6. Massive boulder(s)
      7. Fallen tree
      8. mudpool
      9. campsite (bandits)
      10. an oasis for a desert (the whatshisname Folly)
      11. a jungle with a watchtower for a tropical island
      12. a lumberpile and some stumps for a forest
      13. a lavapit for underground
    8. Fast travel Boats or Balloons
      Please consider adding rifting (teleporting) functionality like the Ardoris gondolas so we can use the whole of our large POT scenes.
      Have them as Village Lot sized objcets, so for the boats, have them take up Village Water Lot slots, that way you can more easily create the dock etc to make it look and behave 'right'. whereas the Ballon also include mooring and a supporting ladder/stairs etc.
    9. Create 'districts' in town with permissions
      Lets say I want one guild to have their own district in my town. I want them to handle their own permissions etc. So I want to place a property lot, and designate it to District X, then in the Disctrict UI I can set permissions for those lots all at once.
      That way you can delegate the handling of districts to other people/organisations, without them getting access to POT deco or the right to place properties etc.
    10. More names instead of 'governor'
      No need to add/change the title itself, but up there under the compass, please let us have a couple of options on what it says.
      Governor/Ruler/Mayor/Overlord/Dictator/Chief/Kk'rch
      This would really help the RP aspect for a lot of us
      I always correct everyone when they try to call me governor. Governor is a misnomer. I'm not a governor, I do not run a province or a state, nor do I 'govern' a school. I'm a mayor, I run a town.

OK so I don't get too longwinded in a single post I will stop here, and come back later.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Player Owned Town - Tartan

Reasoning:
    Since CoA is for early pledgers only, but POTs need some differentiator as well.
    Then we don't want something unique texture for every single one, but just like with CoA if you set up some rules these can be generated on the fly instead of static resources.
    http://www.scotweb.co.uk/tartandesign/design/
    You can generate thousands just based on
    16 colors
    4 stripe sizes (fine, thin, medium, wide) where each size is x2/twice the size of the former

So depending on POT size you get to select a tartan.
    Small POT gets
    2 colors, and 2 or 4 alternating stripes.
    Medium POT gets
    2 or 3 colors, and 2 or 4 alternating stripes
    Large POT gets
    2-4 colors, and 2 or 4 or 6 alternating stripes

Then we can use those on Banners, tablecloth etc etc.

Hornpipe, Leelu, Mata and 6 others like this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Decoration Resource object (addon store)

Not just for POTs but most useful for organized communities.

Concept is a very large decoration asset which brings a resource with it.
    In order to "stock" it you need to bring a resource 'seed' gathered/tamed from the wild.
    Then in order to keep it 'alive' and spawning you need a craftable consumable and regular care.

Example:

Asset:
    RABBIT HILL
    5m diameter round green hill with bushes​
    'Seed object':
    Captured/tamed rabbits from the wild.​
    Consumable:
    "Rabbit salad", made on Cooking station from Lettuce, Carrot and Grain.​
    If fed daily for a week and is at minimum seed number, spawn starts with weekly +20% rabbits to the population.

Asset:
    Fishing pond
    'Seed object':
    Captured live fish (only a specific breed, you can't breed any fish)​
    Consumable:
    "Fish food" , made on Cooking station from Potatoes, (other) Fish, Bread.​
    If fed daily for a week and is at minimum seed number, spawn starts with weekly +20% fish to the population.

Asset:
    SHEEP ENCLOSURE
    10m square fenced in grass and bushes​
    'Seed object':
    Captured/tamed/bought sheep from the "wild".​
    Consumable:
    "Sheep food", made on Cooking station from Potato, Carrot and Grain.​
    If fed daily for a week and is at minimum seed number, spawn starts with weekly +20% rabbits to the population.

Etc.
    you get the concept.

Leelu, majoria70, Mata and 6 others like this.
  10. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Okay, I've got some more after last night :)

There are alot of areas on our vast land that cannot be used for lots. Particularly the areas by the beautiful rocks on the edges of the town (mountain biome). Hoping there will be a tool or a way to flatten any area on the lands to make housing placeable, as the land is vast, and some people have certain spots they'd really like to live that are filled with hills and un-even terrain.

Wild-life running around our towns would be great including, deer, birds, small wolves, rabbits etc. It would be also cool to seem some of the wildlife interacting...rabbits and deers running from wolves (perhaps getting caught oh no)...birds nesting in trees or landing near you and singing a song etc.

Seasonal weather changes. Perhaps the snowy biome could have the lakes become unfrozen at times during the summer...just as other non-snowy biomes could have iced over lakes during some of the winter months. I haven't seen any rain in the snowy biome, even tho surely some days it's not cold enough to snow...

Leelu, majoria70, Mata and 2 others like this.
  11. Winfield

I created a "Call for Pre-fab Gustball Field Design - Size, Materials" thread in this POT forum.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...b-gustball-field-design-size-materials.66467/

Please go see that, as I believe we've spawned interest -- so we have the opportunity to recommend some specific designs for pre-fab gustball fields (rustic and ornate versions).

Let's see what happens! Wonderful times to get creative!

Thanks!

Leelu, Mata, Gaelis and 1 other person like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Btw, personally I wouldn't go crazy with the magic portals and such that don't exist in NPC towns; for me, at least, they cheapen how the game feels. But I have been frustrated too by the size of the scenes and all the unused space, so have thought about other ideas. So, for instance, I'm building a POT on an island template, which has several docks. There are in certain places ferries that might lead to smaller islands offshore. But what about placing ferry routes between two docks? So lets say there's a boat on the south dock that takes you to the west dock, etc...

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'd still suggest what I suggested in this thread I put up, Surveyor's tools. Being able to put down surveyor's plots that would act like a grid and allow spacing... but would be more flexible than a set grid, imo, becase you could place them in whatever way you wanted.

Leelu and Winfield like this.
  14. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

I would love to see teleport tiles that can be placed in POTs. These could be Addon Store items that used a design similar to the gold crafting circle tiles/rugs, but maybe a stone look with Lava red or light emitting etchings.

This would give us so much more freedom regarding where we placed crafting benches, NPC vendors, and even housing lots. It would also make more remote areas of POT maps much more player friendly. A tile would have a right click interface that displayed a unique identifier code, and a box for you to paste or type the destination tiles code into. This way you could have
    tiles in several remote town areas that all linked to a single tile in your town center or even better, a tile in your tavern :D

[​IMG]

15. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

16. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I completely agree with Redfish here. Teleport tiles could make the game feeling even smaller, pushing us even further from having actual organic and RP towns instead of crammed services around teleport circles.

I do agree that travelling through Pots is a nuisance, and even more with all pots having the land mass of a metropolis, but those problems could be issued in a way that foment organic towns, not players hopping around even more.

Winfield likes this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

AGRICULTURE MERCHANT
    [​IMG]

18. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

I think the opposite is true actually, since teleport tiles would increase the usable area of a POT's map rather than reduce it, this would lead to a more distributed town layout, instead of a big cluster in one small area of the map.
    If your POT residents want an organic RP town, then just don't buy any teleport tiles, let them spend five minutes walking across your POT scene every time they need to get from your entry point to their house. This should be an option not a requirement though.

This idea is great Spoon.

Lord Baldrith, Winfield and Womby like this.
  19. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Teleport tiles would reduce POT's area up to usable areas, which is not the same that increasing the usable area. Neither do i care if it's good or bad, it's just a consequence of Pots design, and should be adressed with design fixes, not with yet another hotfix that works around some undesired consequence creating another gap in the roleplay aspect of the game. I insist on finding more attractive ways to find it like route transports between specific points of the POT as redfish suggested.

Of course this is just my opinion, and i'm not trying to imply what i said above is objectively right. Even so, not because of that it can be just settled with a "make it an option". That route has damaged the game a lot and i'd be grateful if it could be entirely avoided. Not everything can be justified by saying "It's optional"; options works rarely, and definitely won't work in a case of convenience as this one. If Pots wants visitors and teleports are implemented the ones that don't have them will be at disadvantage, so it would be as optional as bringing a gun to a duel. You can take 10 steps and then charge with your sword but most probably you'll be put down by the "optional gun".

Please, let's focus a bit in the attractiveness and challenge elements, convenience elements may sound attractive at first but what made lots of us to support this game is how tired we were of the rest of MMOs, where everything is made as convenient as it can be. Let's keep SotA unique, let's adress its problem uniquely.

Winfield likes this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Have been and will remain in opposition to fast-travel options.

Winfield and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.