EXP system breaking balance in PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Blink, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Are you guys not even curious about Blood Bay or what virtue/anti-virtue mechanics might lead to when factions come online? Or COTO PVP gambling?

Numa likes this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

It's not so much catering to a different crowd but whatever we already have is counter productive to the cause.

For example: you know it's backwards when people circumvent the PvP looting issue by micromanaging their inventory.

I'm curious, for sure. I'm especially keen to see how the player-base is going to be segregated between virtue/anti-virtue... because I don't know how the game is going to handle morally gray actions.

I'm specced Subterfuge so I guess I'm automatically anti-virtue? It's really weird.

It shows promise but I'm not holding my breath, though. It doesn't matter how cool the 2nd floor is if the basement is barely holding the 1st floor... or if the house is built on a swamp.

As for COTO PvP gambling, I really don't care.

3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

"For example: you know it's backwards when people circumvent the PvP looting issue by micromanaging their inventory."

:rolleyes:

4. Gix

Gix Avatar

What? You disagree? Because I don't believe that's something ANY player should be doing. You either let players loot X amount of items or you don't. However it is, it has to be the same for every player despite how one organizes his or her inventory.

Numa, Blink and valor like this.
  5. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

No you don't

It's called strategy....if you got it then you know what it is.

6. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Alot of the high pvpers run stacks of any items they carry. It bums me out when I steal 1 spider silk, 10 times in a row. lol

Numa likes this.
  7. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Everyone's entitled to their opinion!

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

The simple fix to PvP would be to have some kind of PvP exp that offered PvP specific rewards. This is how most games do it now because its really one of the few ways that actually work.

But the simple fact is that:
    If I decide to spend my 4 hours a day play time on crafting, I should gain skills for it
    If I decide to spend my 4 hours a day killing mobs, I should gain skills for it
    If I decide to spend my 4 hours a day in PvP, I should gain skills for it.

But to do so would mean fighting all the anit-PvP forum PvP'ers here who cant see beyond their own play style and demand everything be designed in this game for their own personal needs.

Numa, MrBlight and valor like this.
  9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Of course I disagree.

And I don't loot - unless I'm beating down a thief or a PK type... then I loot, and even then sometimes... most times, I don't loot. I leave the headstone for the owner to claim or I relinquish the ransom. Being an outlaw isn't to supposed to be easy - you chose the path - own it.

10. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

This, so hard. For real devs should consider this.

Vaiden Luro and Blink like this.
  11. Gix

Gix Avatar

While it has practical merits, I'm against the idea of exclusivity on principle alone. It means that you, as a designer, couldn't think of a better skill/item system and/or built your game with PvP as a mere afterthought and are stuck balancing both independently.

I'm already pissed that the devs thought that Pickpocket as a PvP specific skill was a good idea.

World of Warcraft had this horrible Raid gear / PvP Seasonal gear segregation by adding the "resilience" stat. Why can't weapons and armours simply be weapons and armours?

ESO did an "okay" job with it by making PvP skills specific to the needs of its PvP environment... stuff that relates to sieges, keep control or massive amount of allies. So I can't say that it can't be done right.

GuildWars 1 did a horrible job by making skill change completely once you entered in a PvP zone. At least the tooltip updated to reflect the changes.

Build a PvP game and balance it with PvP in mind, then build your rich PvE world around it.

Care to elaborate on the reason(s) why?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Isn't that what you are doing? Suggesting the game be made your way?

PvP specific rewards was part of the initial PvP thought process brain dump. It was abandoned for several reasons.

To some people, PvE while flagged for PvP is still PvP so what you ask is possible already. Plus PvP gets a bonus to exp.

To allow straight up PvP without PvE to gain exp it must be in controlled situations. If they can not prove there is a fight and not someone allowing themselves to be farmed the it's highly exploitable.

13. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Unless PVP incorporates a level playing field such as ESO, it's going to have a very narrow audience. I'm a huge PVPer in ESO, and I was in many other MMOs but this games idea of balance is laughable.

I'm not going to participate in this games idea of PVP and I'm sure that's by design. If they want to attract a larger audience to that type of gameplay there are plenty of good suggestions in this topic.

Stundorn, Numa and Blink like this.
  14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

SotA really only has open PvP. In open PvP there is no reason to enforce equality.

Introduce more forms of PvP and incentives for existing PvP(arena and shardfall). Those will need balancing.

15. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I disagree. There's nothing about open PVP that requires it to be totally imbalanced and based entirely on play hours.

PVP could, be balanced and even between players regardless of its environment.

16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Strawman

I offered a simple fix for PvP. I did not demand that you play my play-style and that the way you like to play the game should not be worked on by the dev's. In fact I even went further and even elaborated that people who play different play styles should be rewarded equally.

17. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

early access
    ongoing balance
    broken mechanics
    new mechanics
    exploits
    changing mechanics
    changing balance variables

Where PVP is concerned... there is nothing more important than player participation and anything anyone can do to mitigate their risk while they learn their way around PVP gets a big two thumbs way up from me.

Numa and Baratan like this.
  18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

How many rules on PvP can you put in place before it's no longer open PvP?

Level disparity is not so much a PvP issue as it is an over all game issue. It just happens to have a profound effect on PvP. And honestly it's a non issue.

Speed of kills is the part that needs tuning.
    If any situation allows for one shot kills in PvP it should be reworked. If a PvP fight lasts too long and people can easily escape it should be reworked.

Level disparity or time to make the final blow. If people grind for years but killing speed is still at a fun pace (fun for winner and loser) then the grind doesn't hurt.

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Strawman or doing just as you did? You assume people want the game made their way when they COULD be offering a simple fix. Infer the demand is common in a forum setting.

20. Gix

Gix Avatar

Yes. My argument, though, is why anyone needs to do any mitigation in the first place? Judging by this paragraph, you and I want the same things... except you're okay with the hassle.

Imagine this scenario: @valor just explained that he sometimes loots 1x[spider silk] from a slain player. In this example, why can it not be 1x[spider silk] regardless if I have 100 stacks of 1x[spider silk] or one stack of 100x[spider silk]?

valor and Duke Avery like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.