EXP system breaking balance in PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Blink, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

More people participate in GW2 and ESO PVP than they do SotA PVP. Your assumption that no one would participate in equalized PVP is demonstrably false. You don't have to like it, but facts are stubborn things.

Vaiden Luro and Blink like this.
  2. Blink

Blink Avatar

Actually I never said that. I think pure-melee is more level dependent than other classes though. Anytime I fight someone within 3 adv levels or below they lose. Now if I go up against a level 100+ mage who has ~60%+ stun resist and does twice my dps, while being ranged, while having 300 more hp, I can't really win.

MrBlight said:
    Then i have to ask.
    Should someone with 20 hours in game, be able to match up evenly with you in a 1v1 match? Should you be able to steam roll someone x3 past you in skills and exp? ( and ill argue that i die and kill people with wide variety past my own skill level all the time.. im 6x adv gm, adv level 84 ) ive killed x20 gms before? Ive also died to non gmed people before.

Literally ALL OF THIS HAS BEEN ADDRESSED. It's like talking to a brick wall. Please stop posting in this thread if you are unable to contribute anything.

If you read the very first post in the thread you'll see I gave a suggestion there. I suggest you read the first post in threads before you comment in them.

Not a single person suggested this.

Have you seen how small the amount of players in PvP are? .5% of players who downloaded the game on steam killed 10 people. You may not realize this, but PvP games are the most popular games in the world(ever heard of League of Legends, Dota, Starcraft, Warcraft, Red Alert, Fifa, Madden, Call of Duty? The list goes on. The challenge/fun is in going up against a human player instead of an AI. PvP can be wildly entertaining if you can find balance.

1. More people agree with me than disagree.
    2. Level playing ANY role(past a reasonable point) is what I'm against, but again, it plays a VERY LARGE ROLE. Especially when you start looking at larger gaps.

PvP can and should be balanced entirely separately from PvE imo.

3. Blink

Blink Avatar

I only say that to people who are going off topic and derailing my thread here.

That's totally your opinion, and you're entitled to it. It pertains to the topic currently being discussed. Thank you for sharing. Many people can say whatever they want, it doesn't make it true. In this case I wholeheartedly disagree based on my personal experience, and also logically looking at skills and seeing how the numbers go up when you get to a higher level.

4. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I
    Im not familiar with those games. What is the method of equalizing it and what is the incentive to level your character up?

5. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

GW2 has an equalized arena mode that advances on its own. Your level matters, but matchmaking will put you together with people about your same gear level(PvP gear is obtained through PvP).

6. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

@Blink

Talking to a brick wall is right lol. Spamming comment after comment saying the same thing and quoting parts of conversations out of context and not actually answering any counterpoints does not make you any more correct or your ideas about PvP any better.

You have fun with that though, im done replying to you until you have something actually meaningful to contribute.

GrayFog likes this.
  7. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I see, thanks. In that case its pretty obvious you cant compare it to SotA... There is too many fundamental differences in an arena matchmaking game and an open sandbox RPG style game.

8. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Replying to someones post in your thread is not "off topic", if you feel personal attacked by every single post then you really have a serious problem in your life and you simply shouldn't create threads in an forum.
    If people in your threads are not allowed to reply to other posts from other people within your thread, you really have a serious problem in your life and you simply shouldn't create threads in an forum.

Again, my message was not even meant for you at all, there was no need for your first rude reply at all.

But in the end, i do not care, but the way you post and reply to other people here just shows what an arrogant person you are.

Preachyr likes this.
  9. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

No, not necessarily. You'd have to address each "fundamental difference" individually, actually. Since you admittedly know nothing about GW2 or ESO the discussion would be one sided. :p

Blink likes this.
  10. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Well how about this: I'm familiar with GW2's PvP and excluding WvW (which isn't equalized) PvP in that game is an entirely self contained thing that has no real effect on the rest of the game. Is that a direction you want SotA to go? I would be okay with that, but I don't PvP.

11. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I don't want entirely self contained PVP. I don't believe I expressed as much either. However, my point that was illustrated by the example of GW2 was specifically directed at the statement "That is just a ridiculous way to implement PvP and you would have no one participating". My response to that quoted test is: GW2 and ESO both have more people participating in PVP than SotA. The idea that no-one would participate in that type of PVP is demonstrably false.

I (Level 6 DK) got together with a guild mate (Champion Level 97 Templar) to make a short video demonstrating how ESO's level agnosticism actually works in PVP. Afterwords she swore she could have beaten me. I believe her, but at the same time I also could have beaten her despite a 141 level difference between our characters. This doesn't prevent us from leveling or becoming more powerful. The fight was actually more closer than I thought, considering that imo her character's gear is much better for her level than mine, but my character is built for single target destruction while she's built for more of a support role. The idea is, I wasn't totally unable to damager her and utterly crushed on the basis of character level alone.

[​IMG]^Click to Watch Video^

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  12. Blink

Blink Avatar

This PvP system sounds amazing. I could see a similar system working for SotA. Perhaps if they could normalize things like damage, critical chance, CC chance, resist chances etc across the board more people would be interested in trying their hand. There is still the pesky issue of health/focus pools though. Maybe it could work if they implement something like having abilities and damage cost/deal a percentage of your maximum pool, things like tap soul and regen giving you % back per tick while in PvP? Doesn't sound simple but does sound like one of the more effective ways to balance it, if it could be done.

13. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

The health and focus pools would be the biggest hurdle because they are totally different from low to high level in SotA. That's a problem that could, theoretically be handled in one of many different ways.
    One idea I had would be to have a PVP health pool. This health pool would always mirror your normal health pool as a percentage so if you're down to 30% from PVE and someone attacks you, your PVP health pool would already be at 30% as well. Make everyone's PVP health pool be whatever it would be at AV 100, or whatever AV they want to use. This way characters who built their character with a focus on health would still see benefit in those choices.

Blink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.