EXP system breaking balance in PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Blink, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blink

Blink Avatar

Please stop derailing my thread. Take it to PMs. This topic is about how the experience system negatively effects PVP balance ( to the point of breaking all hope of balance.)

If you are not talking about experience system negatively effecting PVP balance ( to the point of breaking all hope of balance.) Please go somewhere else to talk.

2. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

The loot experience is terrible for most players when they first discover PVP.

3. Blink

Blink Avatar

Right now we're in a game where as a melee in full plate I can be killed inside of 4-5 seconds by a mage, who is 15 levels my senior, even though I have put 500+ hrs grinding xp. The only PvP we should realistically compare this game to is Ultima Online. Trammel is already in place, and the negatives of death (along with the positives of killing) have been minimalized. All we're missing is BALANCE.

Please note that there is NO WAY I could kill said mages withing 4-5 seconds, more like 14-15. If they cast death magic there is not a snowballs chance in hell.

Numa likes this.
  4. Blink

Blink Avatar

Well put, totally agree, and thank you for sharing!

5. Blink

Blink Avatar

Half/half agree/disagree. I think people unstacking their pearl so a thief can't steal the whole stack is a good thing. I think unstacking their pearl so when they die they only lose a single pearl is a bad thing.

6. Blink

Blink Avatar

Just because you CAN beat someone of a higher level does not mean you are more skilled or that the system is fine. If you get good rolls on all your attacks and your opponent gets poor rolls on all their attacks you can beat anyone. Just ask Alexander John! Of course after I beat him he changed his build and roasted me in less than 5 seconds, but it's fine because he's more skilled than me right!

HogwinHD likes this.
  7. Gix

Gix Avatar

While I agree with the first statement, I disagree with the last.

UO got as big as it did because it was one of the first. With tons of other games out there, the rest of the world won't see it that way.

As a thief, why should I be able to steal the entire stack in the first place?

Speaking for myself, I don't like griefing other players but I like the thrill and being able to swipe something off of people's pockets and say "GOTCHA!". Do I want to make a virtual living out of it? Yeah, sure! But to properly rob a bank, you don't steal the entire thing... you do it a penny at a time. That's what subtlety is all about.

8. Blink

Blink Avatar

Ok now group 4-8 players all with skills in the 100-120 range. Throw them at eachother 10 times in a row and see what happens. Hell you can take skill out of the equation and just cast chain lightnings back and forth. Do you know who's going to win most of the time? I do. That's what this thread is about. Though realistically I'm talking about the difference between adv lvl 80-90s and adv lvl 90-110s (yes people are actually adv lvl 100+)

Numa likes this.
  9. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

Given the Hours i Have put in to Tweaking Builds Etc... yes.

margaritte and MrBlight like this.
  10. Blink

Blink Avatar

This is a spiritual successor to Ultima and prides itself on NOT being "tons of other games out there." It's literally what sets SotA apart. If you cookie cut this game then guess what you have. A low budget, low quality themepark clone.

11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

So, this thread isn't about experience levels - it's about deck building?

With the right build you can rapid fire singles... or stack x5 then fire.

Take two players and give them exactly the same level glyphs to work with - how they work their decks should determine outcome every time.

Vaiden Luro, Numa and margaritte like this.
  12. Blink

Blink Avatar

Must be nice to have options because Melee sure doesnt. Maybe if I get more experience and get lvl 120 Torpid Torment, Chaotic Feedback, Inner Calm, and the other one in the focus tree. Right now having "tweaked builds" as a melee is not much of an option. You just fizzle away the little focus pool you have. Unless you're adv lvl 110 that is...

13. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

first off, im 104 ;)

2nd, You were away for 3 months, people were going to overtake you, that isnt their fault, if melee isnt working for you yet the way you want, dont bash on the way other people choose to play its not cool.

14. Blink

Blink Avatar

But that's not pvp in this game. That's what I wish pvp in this game was.

Gix and Duke Avery like this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

Being different for the sake of being different gets you nowhere.

I'm not saying that the game has to be like the other ones but to ignore that the competition even exists is a mistake.

16. Blink

Blink Avatar

Right, and a month and a half playing every day for 10 hours+ is still not enough to reach "maximum pvp power." Sorry dude most people don't want that. Just look around at the dismal numbers of PVPers. Last night 8pm should be primetime, I'm in a group with 3 others looking across the entire game for a pvp flag. We find Xeen (adv lvl 100+) who runs up and deals 200+dps through body slam spam. I'm dead in 5 seconds. I deal less than 1/3 of his hp. Real balance man. I should just farm every night like you and him! Naw no thanks.

Edit: Oh and BTW. The only spells he casted was buff himself, then run up and spam Earthquake. I was jumping the whole time, but even dodging a couple I still took 200+ dps. I'm a melee and don't have the option to just run away from his Earthquakes.

17. Blink

Blink Avatar

Just to point out, as a melee you're lucky if you are dealing 100 dps, and you have less sustain than mage by far. One non-stacked death ray at low hp can be a 400 hp swing easily.

Edit: this is a topic for another thread please keep it to experience effecting pvp here

18. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Someone should make and post a leveling guide for Grix and Blink. I think that would be far more useful for them right now than any argument made in favor of pvp.

Or if either of you two wants, you are welcome to join our guild and group up with people. Grix especially since you said your main skill wasnt even 40 yet.. we have people that just started a couple days ago that are much higher than that already just through regular casual playing. They could probably help you out.

19. Blink

Blink Avatar

more off topic thread derailment. I know how to level, I'm just not willing to dedicate every night of my life to it like others are. I don't think that warrants an uneven keel in PVP.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Or they could give purpose to PvP in areas that have more value instead of going after those with lower levels. Many methods available to solve the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.