EXP system breaking balance in PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Blink, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blink

Blink Avatar

That existed in UO. Never stopped people from griefing lower levels for an easy buck.

Baratan likes this.
  2. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Your comments here suggest otherwise.
    I'll say it again, and others have said it already many times. Getting skills up to a point where you can enter and begin to be somewhat competitive in PvP (60's or 70's) is extremely easy.

Once you hit 80's in some of your main skills the difference between you and someone with GM shrinks very quickly.

You keep complaining about how unbalanced it is because of level differences, but you are ignoring the reality of the game and how little difference the skills make past a certain point.

So even though you keep choosing to ignore it, the answer is simple. Ask someone how to level up effectively to the 60's or 70's (you can do it playing casually very fast), and then start playing around with your deck, or ask someone for help in how to build and tweak your deck.

If you have been playing a month and a half and are not in the 80's for your main skills, then plain and simple you are doing something wrong. Instead of getting defensive about it and complaining the game is unbalanced, ask someone for help so that you can get better.

MrBlight likes this.
  3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Person 2nd in game for PVP kills a while back had a whopping 2 GM's. lol

4. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Here's my take. A level 1 and level 100 should have some disparity. However, a level 100 should not go afk while a level 1 attacks him for 15 minutes fruitlessly then be killed by the level 100 in 3.5 seconds.

Isildur happened, after all. I understand the need for level based progression in PVE. PVP however, should play by its own rules. Rules that close the gap created by level and gear.

5. Gix

Gix Avatar

It'll just boil down to people telling me to use specific skills, only setting a few skills to train and grind in areas where the monsters are plenty that yield good XP. I've been through the steps before with a variety of different people.

I don't want to be a sword-wielding, fireball shooting battle-mage-warrior... And it bothers me to see so many people believe that this is the "right" way to play the game and that people who have issues progressing are "playing it wrong".

Not that I'd refuse to group up. I'm just tired of listening to people saying that the solution is "their way"; especially when "their way" is just looking the other way and ignoring the game's blatant flaws. I don't want people giving me free loot either, like that'll suddenly make the game any better.

You don't need to make any argument in favour of PvP, I love PvP! I PvP almost every day in the games that I play. I despise SotA's PvP... big difference.

P.S. I find it odd that you spell my name with an R :p

No. It's the game designers'

Blink and Baratan like this.
  6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Temporarily locked thread so I could digest the tons of Reports coming in from it.

Please keep on topic, and do not personally attack others. So far, overall, the thread has been good on the latter. Let's shore up the former now :).

Thanks everyone

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have not seen you out in any PvP over the past year so I do not know your experience level but I have, especially in 1 on 1 tournaments. I have won brackets in the virtue league.

Character adv level matters very much. having 60's and 70's do not make you competitive in PvP and generally the person with the most exp and adv level win in PvP in this game as a general rule.

I am currently adv lvl 86 right now and have ~8 GM's. I dont even dare to go up against some one with 10+ GM's (15+ especially) because I know I will be steam rolled. I also know that I will give anybody a run for their money who is adv lvl 86 and I know I will steam roll anyone that is less then adv lvl 80 for absolute sure.

You really dont have to go any farther then the number of hp and focus they have.

there are variables that do adjust this a bit such as players who play clearly power builds known to be OP like air mages with chain lightning.

fonsvitae and Numa like this.
  8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The lower level player didn't have to be lower level for long in UO. The issue with UO was way more based on the new player that didn't know any better.

That is part of the problem though. Port will need to address preying on the new player or inexperienced player for profit.

I could probably think of a few methods off the top of my head that would remove the profit while leaving the "risk" of being attacked by anyone while flagged open PvP. Some people do enjoy that part just as much as others loath it.

But, if it's part of the game design for it to be profitable how can it be considered griefing.

9. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

@Ristra Honest question, whats at all profitable about killing newer players right now? Theres nothing of value to loot and the odd piece of good gear they may have has no guarantee of being looted anyways.

Note that im in favour of reducing griefing and stuff Im just curious how you think its profitable

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

All depends on perspective. The lower level player has varying levels of knowledge of how things work in PvP. Stumbling onto a player that was baited into flagging PvP by the bonus exp and finding out they didn't split their reagents into small stacks. Then camping that player till they figure out to leave the zone. Sounds pretty profitable.

If the choice is go after the new/less experienced player vs going after the challenging player. The challenging player is going to have their inventory prepped for the loot system to minimize loss.

If everyone was fully educated and skilled at PvP my comments might be different. We know that isn't the case though.

11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Now this is actually a good response.

And ill counter with the sheer fact that in no way is dueling and tournies whats being discussed when talking about being competitive in the current PvP system.

In a perfect. Fair. 1v1. Both pre prepared fight, i would be pretty disappointed if adv level wasnt more important when compared to the open world PvP.

The discussion is over how long it takes the average player to be able to be competitive in PvP. This has to relate to open world PvP in instances with variables such as other players, mobs, and engage. 70s to 80s is VERY much capable to be effective in open world pvp currently.

Comparing it to 1v1 dueling isnt exactly the same. As ill argue, a casual player, is not entering in tournies. And if they ARE.. that adv level should be a significant factor.

But if you want to match up 1v1 in a closed variable situation, then its safe to assume that that 10% difference between skills at 80 and skills at 100, is much more relevent.

Should there be an arena that evens out each combatents skills for a perfectly fair duel? I dunno maybe.
    But open world pvp is quite a bit dif then dueling.

Then i have to ask.
    Should someone with 20 hours in game, be able to match up evenly with you in a 1v1 match? Should you be able to steam roll someone x3 past you in skills and exp? ( and ill argue that i die and kill people with wide variety past my own skill level all the time.. im 6x adv gm, adv level 84 ) ive killed x20 gms before? Ive also died to non gmed people before.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

Agree, the motive isn't profit - it's basically sadism.

That's why PvP needs guild warfare and territory contests - otherwise the above is all that other people will see and think PvP is all about. SOTA deserves a full PvP ecosystem which will actually build real PvP communities.

Preachyr likes this.
  13. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Dunno, but if you really want it, you can powerlevel a fresh character up to about ADV Level 80 in just 2-3 days.

14. Blink

Blink Avatar

Dude you literally should either read the thread or don't post. I'm adv lvl 88. I'm higher than the average player by far. I have a much greater than 50% win rate in pvp. I want BALANCED pvp that is INVITING to NEW PLAYERS. I want the game to grow.

Luca Xante likes this.
  15. Blink

Blink Avatar

Just to be sure, you're a melee right? It seems like most people saying lvl doesn't matter are mages who have never tried high level melee v melee.

16. Blink

Blink Avatar

Actually this thread has everything to do with dueling/tournies. I'm not asking for balanced group pvp here. I'm asking for experience levels not to give you a huge advantage (past a reasonable point.) That most certainly would effect duels and tournies.

That's your opinion. Most people don't want PvP to be so heavily swayed by a stat you can grind endlessly.

No it's not? Go read the first post in this thread, and stop derailing. You should not be posting here if you can't even show the decency to read the first post in the thread.

So you want less people to be involved in tournies? That's what happens when you set the bar too high. Most people never reach it. I want more people on even footing, not less. I especially don't want people to have an unattainable lead because they spent thousands of hours farming xp in pre-alpha.

Not sure where you just pulled the 10% number from, but you're correct in that whatever the difference is, is relevant.

Please go back and read the thread. All of this has been addressed in here. I implore you NOT to post until you READ THE THREAD.

17. Blink

Blink Avatar

Actually I'm 100% sure you get money for killing people and looting their corpses. Aiming for noobs just lowers the risk of losing anything yourself.. Just because you think it deplorable doesn't mean other people care. Some people will game the system any way they can for an advantage, and if that leads them to killing noobs, well that's what they gonna do.

18. Blink

Blink Avatar

1. That has nothing to do with this thread.

2. I'm adv lvl 88.

3. Go back and read the thread before posting please.

4. Getting to a "bare minimum to compete" adv lvl has nothing to do with this thread. This thread is advocating for experience normalization so that experience DOESN'T PLAY A PART(past a certain point.)

19. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

@Blink

Which part of the thread would you like me to go back and read? All your points have been addressed.

You say that people have an unattainable lead over others. Plenty of people here disagree and have told you that levels play a small role and skill plays a big role. You disagree. What more is there to say, really?

Whats your solution? Everyone flagging for PvP should have thier skills equalized? where is the incentive to level up then? Why would anyone want to advance thier character at all when they get forced into being on equal footing with a brand new level 1 character? That is just a ridiculous way to implement PvP and you would have no one participating.

You do raise a valid point in that pure melee is at a disadvantage right now, I totally agree with that, however thats a skill balance discussion and not a PvP discussion.

Vaiden Luro and GrayFog like this.
  20. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

@Blink

Just because you keep telling people to go back and read the thread doesnt make your ideas suddenly any better.

Making it so that experience and adventurer level plays even less of a part in PvP than it currently does is just a BAD idea, because it already plays a very small and reasonable part. I'm sure you won't agree to that, but thats what many people are telling you in this thread and just saying go read it won't change that.

GrayFog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.