Features you'd like to see in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by cs2501x, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

After watching the 6 month demo.
    I see many large animals out in the woods or caves.
    I'd like to see some critters running around.
    Out in the woods animals like rabbits, skunks, raccoons, porcupines, birds, snakes etc and for sure some squirrels running up and down some of those trees.
    If you want to go even further with that things like ants, mice, spiders, roaches etc, well we might need an exterminator skill for that. :)
    In the caves there should be some animals like bats, spiders, rats, etc.
    Maybe even some overgrown insects like glowworms or firflies to light up places.
    Make the outdoors feel alive with all kinds of creatures.

And I like the UO style that newbs had a hard time killing bears or wolves or if weak enough would even get owned by small animals.
    Back down to the sewer to kill some rats for skill gain.

BillRoy likes this.
  2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Besides just creautes protecting treasure I'd like to see the homes of many of creatues in the game.
    Places like
    Orc Camps
    http://tinyurl.com/pndahdv
    Troll camps
    http://tinyurl.com/kylovjg
    Dragons Lair
    http://tinyurl.com/lqguujm
    Kobolt town
    whatever that looks like

So the more intelligent creatures in the game at least having cities we could vist. If they don't kill us first.
    And it could make for a good scene jam.

3. Avatar the Avatar

I guess I don't have permission to enter those forums, my face says it all. Kilrathi are the most honorable and least humble race period.;)

4. Avatar the Avatar

I don't know, the ability to export characters you worked hard on into future SotA games.=includes housing and other personal gear as well as skills and feats.

5. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Pack animals should appear in, just that, PACKS! (animal congregations) Such as wolves for an example. Wolves should not be meandering individually in the woods or wherever.
    How about gaggles of rampant, raging wild geese ganging up and killing players?
    I once read "Skinning a bear should aggro all bears in the area" this philosophy should be implemented in SotA. It would contribute to making crafting exciting and non-trivial as one would have to be calculating and resourceful when sourcing resources from their sources.

Time Lord and jondavis like this.
  6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Sorry - here's the results of the poll. 90 responses, 73% against playable non-human races in SoTA, 27% for.

7. Ulf Berht

Ulf Berht Avatar

I have not seen any Sirens or Merfolk in any of the Ultima series and would like to suggest there be some in this or later releases.
    In my tale Harpies, Orphidians, and Gargoyles have alligned with some human pirates with the eventual goal of exterminating Lord British.
    Sirens (mermaids) are being captured by this allience for their underwater capabilites. He is also seeking the lost secrets of Gargoyle underwater dome magic/technlogy . The pirate chief wants to develope an army that can attack on land, sea, and air and needs to dominate the submarine environment.
    This is a link to my work so far
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AXPsj75k5YspQNcG7subslvSnW_-sdgjddyCyUJBdUU/pub
    Any feedback would be welcome.

jondavis likes this.
  8. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

jondavis and NirAntae like this.
  9. Zak

Zak Avatar

Just to throw in my point of veiw, an open world that allows players to enteract with it in a large variety of ways is awesome, but leads to problems with mass population and such. I would like to see Shroud of the Avatar play around with perfecting strange concepts of balance, for instance I would a system that balances out currency reward and skill gain reward, kind like a backwards powerhour, so for the first few hours or kills each day a player can make more money, but after killing too many enemies or playing too long the amount of in game currency they drop lessens while the players skill gain increases, other balances would of course be needed to make it work in full.

I am also heavily in favor of a barren world map which offers players to ability to make their own towns through the means of a system. I always wanted to see some player made towns on Ultima Servers but never found any that seemed like real towns on legitimate servers. So by offering a person the ability to build a single house that acts as a seed for a town, making a new point of interest, and offering more plots for other players to use would be good to see.

and I did see one post about having an "Underworld" section like from a previous game, by taking the heart of that concept and making more of a fantacy world with moving islands, truly epic cave systems, underwater exploration, and alternate dimensions is a good way to attract people to play, by making it more unlike reality, though the less like reality it is the hard it will be to play simplistically.

But the one reason I am making this post, and I am not sure if anyone has offered an idea similar, is that the test server could find new life in allowing community competition between player made content being tested for implentation, and the system by which people influence the game will be crucial to this games success, if the Shroud of the Avatar world finds a few to foster a player community that can generate good content, and that content is implemented into the game regularly, this game will be an amazing success. At least I would bet on it, though I did miss the pleadge period to have done so through kickstarter... I know that there are already going to be different releases as the story line unfolds, but having a system on the side of that for players to make, dungeons, island, continents, and such as large community projects would be an amazing feature to add to the game, say having a yearly player made dungeon contest, which the winner will be made into a public dungeon a year after it wins, or possibilities like that, that regulate and energize the games continued evolution through the input of players.

cs2501x and jondavis like this.
  10. sheetrock1

sheetrock1 Avatar

As a player of UO for more then 10 years ,I was saddden whit the split from Felucia.The land mass it was ugly to say the least,and the player base was gone. The point of MMO- RPG is others to play the game with,and make new friends.
    I for one kept my home in the old land , not because I liked being PKed. But because with each new [teddy bear] land, and game exspansion, the game moved further away from what apealed about the game. [by the way, in all my time playing, I was never flagged a PKer ].
    Ok now what I love to see in this game, is the hidden passages,the secret rooms,rare items for deco.taxidermy ect.
    If there is going to be Pkers, let it have consequence!!! The old Ultima had the right idea, being flagged , jail time , ect.
    Fact is ,a new game engine,with new camra view, and the features of the old Ultima, would be a game that would run an other 40 yers.

11. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

There will be secret passages. The 6 month video shows that.

Time Lord, cs2501x and majoria70 like this.
  12. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

More than one character!!! If nothing else, I like being able to experience the differences in game play between a "good" character and a "bad" character. It's fine to say that there are consequences to your actions and choices, but if you can't experience the other side of the coin without deleting your character and losing all your time and effort and stuff to try the other side, it's only a conceptual theory, not anything tangible.

Ned888 and cs2501x like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

What good history you are providing. I do agree we are looking for a game that is our fantasy home, that will persist and continue to be a quality game above games to enjoy for a very long time. So far nothing has been able to do that for me. :)

Time Lord, Ned888 and cs2501x like this.
  14. Floors

Floors Avatar

Magic Carpets / Balloons / Horses / Ships / Skiffs / Waterfalls -> Underworld / Whirlpools -> Underworld / Ambrosia

jondavis likes this.
  15. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

I thought this was a particularly well thought out comment.

16. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

Ok folks, this thread has now been unsticky'd.

There are lots of great suggestions here and many wonderful new threads on similar posts. I'm going to monitor this thread but what I'd like to do is ask a favour: think of your favorite feature for a potential stretch goal. Post it here if you like, or start a new thread. I'll try to pick a few and see what people think.

Great job, please keep it up.

17. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

18. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

Maybe an in game fe
    Maybe an in game feature where you can ask NPCs about items?

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well maybe compromise on that. I remember having so much fun in the discovery of who had what. then I just marked their place in my runebook and you could lablel it too. Do you remember that feature in UO. We didn't need no stinkin auction houses lol. It was kinda like going yard sailing.

Time Lord, fumblefingers and cs2501x like this.
  20. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

women that look like a woman, lots of clothes, npc kids in game , npcs milling around

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.