Goodbye

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by enderandrew, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I think it would also be beneficial if the mods would take the minute or two necessary to PM the author when a post is edited or deleted to explain why.

2. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I can agree with this. This would ensure the violator knows what he/she did wrong and alleviate it from happening again! If the perpetrator doesn't know what they did wrong in the first place, its likely to be repeated.

3. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Absolutely. I remember logging in one day to find that 50+ posts of mine had been wiped. For the record, this deletion spree was actually just the result of a very large thread being deleted. However, since nobody told me what had happened, I had to start with only the knowledge that an anonymous mod had quietly deleted 50+ posts of mine in one night, and then work my way towards the realization that the deletions were actually part of a larger action.

With thread deletion, especially when the threads are 100+ pages long, notifying each member of their deleted posts would prove monotonous, and yet, I'm not sure I support the deletion of entire threads, and without such large trimmings, notifying members of their moderated posts wouldn't prove as difficult.

4. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It wouldn't really bad that bad. Just write down the names as you go along deleting, then send a group message to all except the instigator, who gets a different email. That way the people who were caught in the crossfire know what happened and that it wasn't exactly their fault. (Mods, you can send group messages to more than five people, right? Right? :p)

5. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

I just received a PM instead of deleting.

I can respect that approach instead of ninja-editing.

However I don't really find myself home in a place where the profanity-scale is that of 5th grade in a catholic girl school, and everyone is forced into a way of expression that's not really their own.

6. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I agree. I only see issue with notifying people when entire threads are deleted (ofc I'm not sure how I feel about thread wiping).

7. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

If a whole thread is deleted, I expect most people can figure that out. :p If someone doesn't know why in those cases and would like to know, they can ask.

8. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

:oops:

9. Maka

Maka Avatar

Safe travels!

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face;
    the rains fall soft upon your fields
    and until we meet again,
    may God hold you in the palm of His hand.​

10. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Bruno, I can assure you, you were not being purposefully ignored. If you contacted me over the weekend (I try and take some days off too :p), or I was out sick ( I did miss a couple of days during R5 due to illness), or on a busy day... you get the idea... your PM could have been swallowed up by the dozen or so I get ~per day~, and that is JUST forum PM's (not including the hundreds of messages that come in via the help desk or my inbox.)

That kind of thing happens sometimes... I'm human. Couple that with the fact that PM system here on the forums has no way of segregating unread mail like the our support email, well... it's unfortunate, but PM's can sometimes be missed. Which is always why I tell people to email support@portalarium.com if they need an issue attended to. Feel free to do so, and I will happily look into what happened until you are satisfied with the solution.

Time Lord, NRaas, Kuno Brauer and 4 others like this.
  11. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Threads are NEVER deleted. They are simply moved to an archive forum that the Dev Team STILL has access to. However, because they are "unplugged" from the main forum", any likes are no longer counted towards your account. But the misnomer that we actually "delete" threads is absolutely false. Similarly, individual posts are not deleted either, just hidden from view from the general user. Mods, Admins, and the Dev's can still click on them to open and read them.

It is our policy to notify a user if their thread is moderated. However, in the case of a sweep (like the handful of threads that have been moved to the Dev only archive, literally 5 of them), then a notification may not have been given. I will be sure to revisit this with the mod team to be sure that notice is being given appropriately.

Time Lord, NRaas, Kuno Brauer and 6 others like this.
  12. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Thanks FireLotus! :)

Time Lord and Maka like this.
  13. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

FireLotus did say she'd remind the mods to pretty much do just this. That seems to me to be a pretty good step forward. :)

Time Lord and Kuno Brauer like this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't recall anyone saying it was unreasonable to ask or unreasonable to feel frustrated. They are perfectly natural responses. Heck when I happened to me I was literally in shock. What the heck did *I* do? I wasn't intending to do anything questionable. Someone please explain this to me! and yes I did ask.

You may find that strange coming from me but.. we'll just leave it at that shall we.

15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

FireLotus, is there any chance that we could disable "likes" completely? It seems like more trouble than it's worth to me. There are an abundance of people on these forums that seem to spend most of their time creating short agreeable posts in what I can only imagine is a constant attempt to maximize their likes.

I'd really like to see how these forums would look without likes.

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Before we had likes, we didn't know if somebody liked our posts unless they quote it. It's good feedback.

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos can you define your "trouble" with likes. How is it troubling you? Maybe we can help you by coming up with another solution that might resolve it instead of disabling likes for everybody else.

17. rild

rild Avatar

+1 for "short agreeable posts" LOL :D

18. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

You can't assume someone who agrees with another, makes a short post or takes a seemingly "popular" stance is fishing for likes. That is a bit of nonsense. Personally the whole "like" thing seems harmless to me and its no different than a like on Facebook. Removing them probably wouldn't make any difference on the forums whatsoever.

19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If it doesn't make a difference, doesn't that prove my point?

I'd also get rid of post counts. The forums shouldn't me a "game" for people to rack up points.

Joviex and Mordecai like this.
  20. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Likes are my favorite part of this website. So easy to let someone know you agree or you thought their post was funny without quoting and responding. I LIKE likes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.