1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Here Come "Roving Encounters"

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Sannio, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lollie

lollie Avatar

From what I've read people say about this new mechanic, it needs a bucketload of tweaking or there will be a mass riot on their hands.

Apparently it's either WAI or bugged with the mobs always being there on the overworld map waiting to drag you back into another instance with them, even if you have already destroyed the lot of them...over and over o_O

discipleofweb likes this.
  2. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Does spit you out a bit away from them when you flee the scene but they are for sure going to be the biggest griefers of all 35 releases.

3. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

By the way, I've added dogs and stags as Roving Encounter NPCs (joining the wolves, bandits, and skeletons already roving the overworld).

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It looks really cool as well. I love it. I went through the roving encounter with a skeleton and went over the area with a fine tooth comb, got all resources tried to make sure I did not miss a thing, perhaps a secret. I scanned my cursor all over the columns in the ruin, but nothing, well unless I missed it. I love the change to the way roving encounters will work now, I was just missing some purpose or some note that pops up and says you have effectively made Novia a safer place, perhaps some thing or story about what just happened. So that is my feedback for the future ;)

5. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

Latest patch #405 addresses bugs that have been reported thus far. It's in pretty good shape atm.

Acred and lollie like this.
  6. lollie

lollie Avatar

That's great :) One thing though @Scrambler - would it be possible to get a keybind command to equip our coconuts? We're unable to make a deck using them as once equipped we can't interact with anything, so can't switch decks back to a combat deck again...meaning we always have to manually equip and manually unequip the coconuts, which could be a problem with being drawn into instances (we'd have to take the coconuts off manually while something was hitting us, us being unable to fight during this time) or even getting attacked on the overworld map while trying to manually equip the coconuts.

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I actually love the roving encounters! No more afk on the overworld hehe

8. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Yes roving encounters are cool because they give you a choice to avoid them or go in.

The bad things are there are way to many on the map at any give time, and you can not out run them if spotted. They do not have the slow down off the road effect that we are subject to, and they always camp near a bridge so you can not get by.

I do like the old way of random chance.

9. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Now if only the encounters would be somewhat useful/interesting...

10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

How I miss the grumble and bumble of Orcs from UO. Kobolds are no replacement!

moko likes this.
  11. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Me gruk lat!

12. lollie

lollie Avatar

@Sannio - could you get one of the devs (whoever does the coding for things like shortcuts for equipping items) to look at this post below and give some thoughts please -

Ravalox likes this.
  13. zreamo

zreamo Avatar

I like the encounters, too.

They need to be tweaked, though.

1. All Mobs attack me from all over the map. This is too hard to handle.
    2. Then the level of difficulty switches from green to orange in a second and go to 1.
    3. Overworld Mobs follow and don't attack, they follow all the way, even into a town (in the overworld view).
    4. Died in an encounter and got encountered a second afterwards. No focus, no health. Died again.

My ideas:

1. Mobs should not attack or gather directly when entering a scene.
    2. Fixed difficulty so the player can decide if he wants to avoid the encounter.
    3. Safe zones and only a limited distance to follow.
    4. death penalty for encounters.

14. moko

moko Avatar

The difficulty is affected by wheter you encounter them on a road or offroad

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The roving encounters need to be subject to the same off-road movement speed reductions that avatars are subject to.

lollie and LoneStranger like this.
  16. zreamo

zreamo Avatar

It seems to change on road while not moving. The enemy runs towards me and changes colour. I am quite sure as I did not move alot and especially not offroad.

17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Mileage must vary. While I have seen some roving encounters off int he distance, I have never been close enough to one to fight one, let alone had to run away from any. Ive played just about every day since R35 relase. Must not be many spawns in the SW quadrant of Novia. In fact, I am feeling left out. I kind of want to force some to happen to me now. Let me guess, there are hordes of them near Ardoris and Hidden Vale?

18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I gave using the coconuts. Too much swapping that didn't seem worth the hassle. A toggle would be great.

Moiseyev Trueden and lollie like this.
  19. moko

moko Avatar

Interesting, so far all encounters I had on the road were green. Will try to lure them into the woods some more tomorrow :D

20. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

Waiting not so patiently for the Kobold Camp random-ish scene to return...or the in place static Kobld Camp scene to return.

Moiseyev Trueden and moko like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.