Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I konw this will catch some hell but . PvP ?????

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by Weins201, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah it will, but:

Does really flagging PvP mean that the game has to be free for all ganking now because you consented to being spawn camped by big groups of PKs? Or should be PvP more meaningful than kill everyone weaker than you and run away from anyone stronger than you?

FrostII, Gaelis, Caliya and 1 other person like this.
  2. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

No , not at all @Net , but we as players can help keep that under control or give it a try rather than just adding a mechanic to Nerf a persons play style. As Envy said Npc guards will be a factor.

I would rather see a free for all and dial it back with a timer or penalty after it was tried... IMHO this is why I cant stand Online Games these days One large company takes something away and people assume its what is wanted ..... is that true? ,, or did the company just take the easy way out and desensitize the masses that this type of play could be possible ? they carbon copy and over time loose sight of the original reason we PK/Apk/PVP'ers play games ...

And we could always Switch to Single player online Or friends online mode if we had to wipe our skills.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I can't see it as anything more than a kill and a death.

If this was a FPS going AFK would be unheard of. Killing someone AFK currently is no different than doing so in a FPS.

Later, when they add a death penalty, people will think twice about going AFK. When they add guards then getting killed in towns won't happen so much. Then when you get killed AFK it's out in the field.

If you are AFK out in the field, with a death penalty that stings, and you get killed. It doesn't matter if it's a player or a MOB that's not a crime.

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yes, actually. That is all PvP is right now. Zero purpose to PvP other than testing. Kill or be killed.

How can we impose extra rules that are not supported by the game.

5. Net

Net Avatar

Well, for me killing innocent player is a crime and when they are AFK it is aggravating circumstance. I am not saying it cannot happen, I just say it is a bad behaviour.

Caliya likes this.
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Hmmm, maybe I am not all that clear. Of course I expect killing random people to be a crime. That is obvious.

What is "crime" in SotA in R13. - nothing.

Until there is a criminal system it's personal responsibility to protect yourself. It's not bad behavior it's playing within the rules of the game. <insert RG's story about stopping a PK from killing a new player here>

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

My mind wanders back to ashen empires.. there were red towns you simply did not go anywhere near because you were pretty much asking to be murdered and robbed, and there was areas that were completely safe due to the high level devines that patrolled and chased off reds. I think we will see something similar here due to a large number of RP players and guilds that also enjoy PVP.

Gaelis and Caliya like this.
  8. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

So, you're equating an NPC that is pre-programmed and unable to ascertain who they are actually attacking, with a player? Good to know. :D

9. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I guess the only argument I could make is, you flagged yourself for PvP. If you don't want someone to attack you afk, probably best to either be in a safe place or unflag yourself. You won't be able to control this behavior by a moral or ethical stance.

Tahru likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

It's not that it isn't bad behavior, but its legitimate behavior so people have to expect it and can't complain too much about it.

Still, if I were attacking someone and the person begged me to stop, I'd stop... for the same reason that if I were playing dodge ball and it appeared as if someone was genuinely having problems with the game, I'd stop. I wouldn't throw a ball at them anyway and say "hey, I was just playing the game." You really have no idea why someone is AFK.

Seriously, I don't think it would be a problem to most people who like open PvP if ganking an AFK player were restricted in some way, even if just by being a crime. Its not a FPS, its a role-playing game.

Gaelis and Net like this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I agree, as soon as you bring communication into the equation then you can talk about bad behavior. Being an arse to to someone is bad behavior.

The part about people being ok with killing AFK players is what I have been trying to say. Right now PvP is a generic FPS. The farther we get into development the PvP will become RPG. Eventually the topic of killing AFK will flip from being bad behavior to "that was your fault you should have been under the protection of the guards."

Gaelis likes this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

All I'm saying is a repeat of what I said a long long time ago in a PvP v PvM thread. Its ok for an NPC to kill you, however certain players seem to make a big deal out of it if another player kills them despite the outcome being exactly the same.

You can also say that some players prefer PvP because it doesn't have the same predictability as PvM (kind of like PvP = Hard setting, PvM = Easy/Normal setting) so why would anyone want PvP to suddenly become easier than PvM (ie an NPC can kill you afk but another player cant).......all sounds a little crazy to me.

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Type /AFK to become INVINCIBLE! But unable to attack and you are rooted.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm not sure when we're talking about attacking AFK players, that whether it makes it "easy" or "hard" should even enter the debate. If a person is AFK because of a family emergency, someone killing his character doesn't make the game "harder", its just annoying.

Net likes this.
  15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

[​IMG]

16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Nice thing about single player games is that you tend to be able to pause them. When dealing with an online 'living' world..... you can't. Everyone has emergencies once in a while when they are in play; the important thing is you get your priorities right and remember that 'it's only a game' and 'its not real'..... if you die so what? you had more important things to do. You can't expect everything to stop whilst you go AFK.

17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Every PK'er must have a different vision of what the AFK victim is doing in RL. For example, what if the AFK'er is Buford T. Justice whom had walked away to pinch a loaf when he hears the PK'er attacking him, jumps up to find nothing but his ghost in sight and yells, "Where are you, you sombitch?"

[​IMG]

foobard likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Have you asked the question... why not? Why not if when you AFK it would be like a pause button, preventing both NPCs and players from attacking you?

The main thing I'd worry about is it being used to exploit the system. For NPCs, it could be used by players to get a monster to leave the area, which is an exploit. For other players, the biggest problems would be in a team environment, where you could use it as a battle tactic.

But if a player isn't trying to exploit anything... as another player, I see no reason why I shouldn't just leave them alone.

Net likes this.
  19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Really?......I actually thought this was sufficient......
    [​IMG]

.... obviously not...... maybe this is now better...

[​IMG]

....... " Oh look over there, a couple of PvPers heading right for me......"/AFK".
    ....... "Oh I need a break, but I can't be bothered to go to a safe location ......"/AFK"

How the hell is killing someone "AFK" an exploit??? If a player is in a location where I can attack and they are flagged I shall attack..........I really don't care if a player is "AFK" or not. Its as bad as a PvPer running around in UO screaming "no mana no mana" just before they are about to die. People have already had their own way over not having open PvP....now they want to de-risk and "trammify" PvP itself.........sorry it simply isn't tennis.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Having flashbacks to freeze tag as a little kid. My cousin was always mad that she was it. When she wasn't, soon as you got close to tag her *TIMEOUT TIMEOUT TIMEOUT* I said time out, I'm not it. *storms off heading inside to be with grownups*

Keira OFaolain, Tahru and Caliya like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.