In regards to the "distracting" nature of the deck system:

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Strumshot, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

I guess what confused me is you said this:

But it's good to hear you aren't a fan. Keep saying that. Don't give in to the thought that we're stuck with it. I don't believe we are.

MalakBrightpalm and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

maybe they could just give us icons that we can place wherever we want. no cool downs, no combat system. Let us also be able to bind skills to a hot key.

Problem solved. No need for locked decks, or random decks, no decks. It would be very simple learning curve.

3. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

I've seen that game before... where was it... I know it sounds familiar...

Sir_Hemlock and Dewderonomy like this.
  4. TantX

TantX Avatar

[​IMG]

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  5. Strumshot

Strumshot Avatar

Well, funny you should ask, because @Chris posted in this thread earlier, and reading the R18 notes, some hung looks a bit familiar...

Snikorts likes this.
  6. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Well earlier in this thread a developer actually replied to a post. You seem to be new but I think even the most ardent critics of the game don't at least admit that their posts are being read.

Logain likes this.
  7. TantX

TantX Avatar

Very true. However, some remarks are "Some people don't like the system, but most love it with just a little wee bit of tweaking!" That has never been a bullet point from any of the combat-related threads, so it begs the question: which posts do they read?

Freeman likes this.
  8. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Well I like the idea of the system and I think with some tweaking, it could be really special. So probably my posts? But frankly if R18-R20 aren't able to win over people then I think RG/SL/Chris should ditch the system for something else. This isn't like crafting or housing or really any other game system: the combat system is what makes or breaks a game. If most people don't like it even if I do then SOTA's future is in doubt.

9. OwlRaven

OwlRaven Avatar

The combat system isn't bad, but I think the people who want this game to succeed would like a combat system that is unique, fun, and a departure from the"womp-a-mole" icon combat system that EVERY game uses...

This is what having people play and test games early on is all about, isn't it?

Constructive criticism?

10. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Gotta ask... such as? Can you give an example of what you like and what you'd change?

Ice Queen likes this.
  11. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I don't know why I like it but I think it's because it keeps me involved. The traditional MMO method of just pressing a button is a very detached method of combat for me. I don't feel like I need to pay attention and it therefore gets boring. Add the usual grinding and they get tedious.

This game can also get pretty tedious, it's unbalanced as heck, and the mobs aren't very interesting. But at least, when the enemies can actually hurt me (otherwise I can just alt-tab my way into the forums until I'm done) I'm actually paying attention to the game. This isn't to say this is the only way to keep me engaged. Single-player RPGs easily do it with their combat systems.

But Shroud of the Avatar is the first "MMO" (and it's not supposed to even technically be that) where I've sunk over 70 hours besides maybe World of Warcraft (a game I have a love-hate relationship with). I've tried many MMORPGs but I tend to quit within a week. I don't think the combat system is anywhere where it needs to be fun (although R18 is a large improvement) but I can see it being fun once the system is done.

If we do replace the card system, it needs to be a combat system that keeps me in the game. And I think we can do that without resorting to the traditional hotbar system.

Freeman likes this.
  12. Strumshot

Strumshot Avatar

"The most consistent complaint about our deck mechanic is that players have to spend too much time looking at the hotbar. "

"To address this we have made a modification to the system that allows players to assign spells to a defined slot in the hotbar even though that skill will still be dealt to them randomly."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No complaints here! /endthread?

13. Borg

Borg Avatar

I'm wondering how are we going to deal with combos now?

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It is read. The people at the top will read it. Managers, Directors, ... that's all they do is read the forums. How can it be said they do not read the forums. Some how they are hearing us and they usually hear so well. But you didn't hear that from me because I'm grumpy right now.

15. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

We tend to talk, me included, often like we are some game developer Einsteins, who forget common sense how to communicate in a respectful way about the many hours of a developers work he invested.
    If i would be the owner of a restaurant and some would criticize me the way, and with the words we often use in in the forum. I would grab them and throw them on the street.

So. It was s honest remark of a developer that should remind us all that there is no slave, but a hard working person on the other side of the forum who probably often needs a "cool down pill" reading the disrespectful way we bash there work.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Ice Queen likes this.
  16. TantX

TantX Avatar

Except we invested for the restaurant to be built in the first place.

17. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Well. A smart investor treats his investment respectful.

Difference between saying: your work sux

or saying something constructive in a normal way.

That was what the developer was trying to express.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

18. TantX

TantX Avatar

Unless they're a year behind schedule, claiming to be in pre-alpha within 6 months of supposed launch. Pretty sure investors would have a different tone at that point.

Not saying not to be respectful or constructive, don't get me wrong, but there is the reality that we invested in a product that we're also consuming (we pay as both publisher and consumer, and make no money back on it). Crowdfunded projects like to say, "We don't have to answer to publishers to make you a better game!" Okay, then make it, and when you don't or don't do it on time, don't give us lip when we complain. We've at least paid for that privilege.

Ice Queen and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  19. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Lets give it peace.

I think we are almost on the same page. :)

Ice Queen likes this.
  20. twotrees123

twotrees123 Avatar

Except for the fact that you're penalized for locking skills: they cost more to cast. So much for an open system with "choice". This is as bad or worse than the limit on passives. At least they got rid of that. I sure hope they change this as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.