1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Magic, Combat, and Crafting Skills

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wodin

Wodin Avatar

I am so with you there! I just thought I read earlier it would have something like that. I may have been mistaken. I wonder how they will gauge progress, or if there will be a ceiling for skill totals.

2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Instead of getting new levels, we'll probably just get new skill trees.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

There are a lot of things they can do. But from what they're reveled, a level is just a way to get a pile of skill points. Levels could be unlimited without any real imbalence. They don't need to keep track of them. There's also no reason (yet) to keep people from obtaining all possible skills. Because there's really no advantage to doing to.

derek6665, Wodin and NirAntae like this.
  4. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

It is legal to ferment alcohol. This gets you low-proof "first stage" alcohol... things like wine, beer and mead. Most states have a "reasonable personal use" type clause, somewhere in the 10-50 gallons a year per person range. You create alcohol by fermenting, usually via yeast, or sometimes bacteria.

To get liquor or spirits, you need to take an already fermented (alcoholic!) substance and distill it... either in a still via boiling and cooling (your classic 'still'), or by freezing it to remove the water (the water freezes but the alcohol doesn't, allowing you to easily remove the ice crystals.) This is how you get high-proof distilled liquors like brandy, moonshine, vodka, etc. etc. etc. In most states, no form of distillation (including freezing!) is legal without extensive licensing, though I believe some may allow the freezing method. Distillation does not create any alcohol. It only removes water so that the alcohol is more concentrated.

AFAIK, there is no state in which you can sell the products of either fermentation or secondary distillation without pretty major licensing.

...Can you tell I homebrew? >^.^<

Montesquieu_Paine and Jatvardur like this.
  5. Rolleston Bandit

Rolleston Bandit Avatar

I like the sound of the skill point split between crafting and adventuring. As stated in the original post they are earnt based upon the activities undertaken which is a model that seems logical. If all one does all day is collect, refine and craft then only crafting points would be earnt and only crafting skills could be improved. If you have to beat off the occasional agressive spider, bear or pack of wolves then some skill in combat could be improved but probably only the rudimentary ones.

Personally I prefer the skill systems where only the skills used improve but this is the next best thing.

Not sure if it would start getting too complicated if the crafting xp was earnt as one of the 3 categories (gather, refine, produce). If you spend all day mining you could improve your mining skills to be able to gather quickly and reliably the most tricky minerals hidden in the earth but you would not get any closer to being able to produce a suit of plate armour. There could be a conversion of points between the categories. E.G. 2 skill points in gather could translate to 1 skill point in refine, 2 points in refine could become 1 in produce etc which reflects the inherent understanding of the materials gained by gathering. A little more realistic but maybe getting too complicated...I like simple too :)

In terms of level limits etc, I hope there are none but that the points required to reach mastery of a skill are so great that to do so in multiple disciplines would require a massive investment of time by the player. In real life to become a world champion (Grand Master) in something often requires a singular focus on that one discipline. The same amount of time and effort spread accross multiple activities could result in you being "Quite Good" at many things. However, the skill of the Grand Master should mean they produce items/results of the higheset quality that surpase those that have not dedicated their life.

To balance that out though the Grand Master Quality Item skills should have a cool down. I.E. a Grand Master weaponsmith might be able to bang out regular or quality swords twice as quick as a regular weaponsmith. However, if they want to create a weapon of Grand Master Quality then maybe there is an X days cooldown or wait to completion. I.E. you can create 1 grand master weapon per week to reflect the time required to produce something of that quality. That would make the value of the items exceptionally high and rare which would also leave space in the market for non-Grand Masters to ply their trade.

Eat, drink and flirt with Mary

6. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

In RL, to be considered an "expert" in any given field, one has to invest an average of 10,000 hours. Lets hope that that won't be the time requirement ingame, but at the same time one can't power-level to GM at the snap of fingers *snaps fingers demonstratively*

Who is Mary?

7. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

You've heard of the magic training number then?
    C'mon.. ;)

8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Interesting did a bunch of searching on atf's website and they have no information on freezing. I did some searching on forums and found mixed reports. ATF makes no mention of it, nor is it defined from what I can find in their laws. My best guess would be there is no specific law about freezing to achieve higher concentrations of alchohol, even if you did it would be difficult to enforce. But they also don't want to go out and tell people they can do it, so there is no references at all to fractional freezing or freeze distillation.

The ATF only mentions Stills in the information I can find.

Montesquieu_Paine and NirAntae like this.
  9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

10. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

That post was showing the 3 months-in demo; the exp bar has since been removed completely. You can check the 6 month video for that.

11. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

When they have opened the character panels there is a level and experience system shown(it's still in the 6 month demo, so is the exp bar, its just lighter/smaller so it's hard to see it). From what we understand a level is a new skill point... so it's really your total skill points. (from our guesses/early info). I like level systems. they dont all have to be like WOW or final fantasy or dragon quest, where your power is all about your level with exponential gains. I've played tons of games with various degrees of power given to a level. Some where gear mattered more than your level, some where your level really didn't make much of a difference until you get to be about 250+ levels above the other person (the game had 2,050 levels, good day for me was 5 levels gained, about 150 levels in, earlier levels were much harder.. nobody had reached max level at that time, and the game had been out for years.)
    We don't know if level will effect our str/int/dex which affects are health/focus/mana or not. I suspect it wont, but if it's a minor increase each level, 1 stat point 1 skill point it might not matter all that much either.

12. vjek

vjek Avatar

From here:

"
    Advancement:
    Players gain two kinds of experience (Crafting and Adventuring) based on the kind of activities they are doing. Players level up in either Crafting or Adventuring at certain experience point totals. When players level up they get skill points and increases to their stats. The players can use those skill points to learn skills from a trainer. There are no classes so players can spend skill points on any kind of skill as long as they meet the prerequisites (almost always a preceding skill in a tree).
    "

Infer as you wish. :)

LoneStranger and Kilhwch like this.
  13. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Crap, level systems have been done to death. I was hoping for something unique, like, hmm like a plateau maybe, lol.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I don't know what their intention is for overlap in the skill trees. If they are all separate (as we see in the image diagrams) then really, they do have a class system. It just happens to have multi-classing ability.

If they are all linked together with different ways to get to get related child skills, then it would truely be a class-less system.

Mishri likes this.
  15. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Well at least its promised to be nearly flat, meanin it doesent bring leaps & bounds of power to player. But rather more options. And that is good.

16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Earning levels are not the same as what you can learn at that level. There is no reason to have the rewards stay pretty flat, but have the work required to earn those levels go up for each level. Law of diminishing returns.

17. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

As in, I have to be a level 50 blacksmith to use the professional crafting table perhaps. Or I have to be level 30 adventuring to shoot that bow, because 1 need str to pull it, need to know what end of the arrow to point forward, etc, the level system may just be there as a reference point to the many variables.

See how quick I can get over things kids.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

18. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

LoneStranger has made an undeniable observation, the diagrams do indicate an invariable class system. It will be enlightening to hear a closer description on how the leveling system will or won't be a leveling system and how the skill system will or won't be a class system.

19. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Classless systems still have a role you play, it just means you aren't stuck in the confines of using just skills this person can use. I'm not stuck with life magic if I want to heal. I can branch out or get a little of everything if I want. So there are still schools of magic and combat, but you aren't forced to focus on just that one aspect like in a class based system.

Ribbon likes this.
  20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Right, so you're not "classless," you're multi-classing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.