1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Magic, Combat, and Crafting Skills

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Thanks for sharing all this info at this stage in time.
    I particularly appreciate the idea behind the Ch@os school of magic; I endorse the concept of unpredictable and undesirable affects that unleashing chaos energy can result in.

However, when the game goes live, there is going to be an immense backlash of whiners from the vast majority of the player-base over this because they took damage, died, hurt/killed an ally, etc... when using ch@os magic and they want/expect/demand to be over-powered. Likewise, those who are at the receiving end of chaos magic are going to whine about it for the same or opposite reasons. I encourage the devs to be stalwart and unwavering in their concept of Chaos Magic and tell the whiners to pursue other schools of magic or skills if they are not contented, they'll just have to lump it. JUST DON'T CAVE-IN TO THE WHINING CRYBABIES! They'll never be satisfied anyway.

Kilhwch and jondavis like this.
  2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

True... How many people are going to be griefed by someone summoning a daemon and killing them. The way UO handled this is if that happened you can attack them without punishment. And if they are your friend, you wont be friends for long if they don't knock it off ;)

Strongsquirrel1 and jondavis like this.
  3. Montesquieu Paine

Montesquieu Paine Avatar

A loong way back in this thread, there was some discussion as to fermentation/distillation, i.e. the creation of alcoholic liquids.

For those seeking background and 'how-to', see: The Moonshiners Manual, by Michael Barleycorn, Oliver Press, Willits, CA (c) 1975, ISBN 0-914400-12-6; distributed by Charles Scribner's Sons. Softbound, 150 pp..

Which contains a very necessary warning: "No course on moonshining would be complete without one word of caution from the United States of America: don't." (p. 117) Unlicensed (which also means 'untaxed') distillation is a federal crime with serious jail time and strong enforcement. It is, after all, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (www.atf.gov).

However, in-SOTA production should be perfectly legal within the U.S.A.. There probably will be in-game tax concerns, because historically, 'sin' taxes have been some of the longest-standing (yes, dating back to Mesopotamian times) and most lucrative money pots for governments.

NirAntae likes this.
  4. MindBlast

MindBlast Avatar

Magic schools and skills/spells looks interesting.

5. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Correct would be double team summon deamon with chaotic clone resulting 4 uncontrolled deamons and using moonmagic to hide. Wait. Profit :D (and if there is loophole here, it wont even mark the kill to the player, just get karma hit on summoning or something possibly)
    EDIT: I was waiting for someone to point this ovious grief out :)
    EDIT2: Or get bunch of duuuds to do it on town or any other populated area, fun times!

6. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Wooohooo! Great thread, thank you for the nice writeup there, Darkstarr. I keep getting more excited for this game, I like almost everything. I particularly like that we'll be getting skill-gain/XP based on our activity. :)

NirAntae likes this.
  7. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Cast chaos confusion on the demon & they only purr like kittens.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

NirAntae likes this.
  8. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

So....Forestry...

Forestry:
    • Resources Gathered: Wood, Tamed Animals, Fish
    • Tools: Axes, Saws, Fishing Poles, Taming Collars
    • Resources For: Milling, Butchery, Cooking
    • NOTE: Not just chopping wood. This skill includes Taming and Fishing.
    Am I the only one finding it hard to grasp that Fishing and Animal Taming are linked together in the same skill? I am one of the last ones to interject RL into a game (for example I'm one of the few that voted for "fantasy" armor over real armor). But I'm having trouble with this one.

I usually like fishing in games, it's a nice way to wind down after a long night. So say I start dumping points into it because I want to catch bigger and better fish (and whatever else you can catch; junk, message in a bottle, weird trinkets, etc). And because I've spent time and energy and skill points into Fishing (Forestry) ...I can now turn around and tame a Bear. o_O Whaaaat?

So...everyone else is good with this and didn't look twice at it? Not saying it's good or bad...just kind of shocked that there's been zero discussion over it. I fish and chop wood...therefore I can tame a wolf? :confused: Um...ok I guess...

dragon8u likes this.
  9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

All a part of being in the wilds, you become one with all of it, here, have another mushroom

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

GoranBrynzyl likes this.
  10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yep, I think it's meant to be like a Ranger, an outdoorsman at heart. I know when I camp I'm fishing and chopping down trees and watching animals (would tame if realistically possible)...

Could fishing or animal taming be put in foraging? maybe. or foraging place in forestry and have fishing/animal taming some sort of animal knowledge tree? maybe that would work too?

I think they are trying to find a good balance of output for each one and usefulness. However, I think forestry looks to be very useful based on it's current uses.

11. Galadriel O`Sullivan

Galadriel O`Sullivan Avatar

I'm excited to see some of the bards that I have been hearing about. It will be nice to be serenaded in towns.

OSullivan likes this.
  12. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

If I am not mistaken it is considered legal in the U.S. to distill alchohol. It is illegal to sell alcohol unlicensed.

13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Nope.. can't distill it for consumption in the home, moonshining is illegal still(some people ignore that). You can distill it for fuel in your home, if your city code allows it, there are state and federal fees and taxes there too. They will allow you to freeze it though... the freezing process can get you some pretty potent brew. You can only distill in a qualified distilation plant that they have all sorts of requirements for, not in a residence.

Montesquieu_Paine likes this.
  14. marthos

marthos Avatar

I must confess, I am a little disappointed in the magic schools. A lot of the skills seem to be repetition of each other from different schools. Since we're not bound to be a "Fire Mage" but rather can use cards from different schools in our deck, I'd like to see more variety in the spells available. Not every school needs a short ranged damage skill, a long range damage skill, and an aoe skill. I'd also like to see the magic school have a much different feeling in gameplay, so it FEELs much different playing the different elements. For example, here's my take on improving the Water school:

Water Magic: Support Magic that heals and hinders movement of enemies, with AOE damage.
    Unique Gameplay: Each spell has a water and ice variant, managed by the wizards current state of "frozen" or "thawed"

Active:
    • Freeze/Thaw: If in thawed state: Causes ice to form 2 meters from the caster, violently converging upon the wizard's hands. All enemies around caster take small damage. Next Water Spell used will be its Ice Variant. If in frozen state, causes the ice around the casters hand to propel violently away, causing small AOE damage around the caster. The next water spell will be its water varient.

Below are the spells that can toggle between "water" and "ice" states based on the casters status. Each bullet point marks a new spell.
    • Stream of water: Targets a friendly opponent to heal minor wounds and remove any fire DoTs.
      Ice lance: AOE damage in a straight line from the caster
    • Mist: Persistent AOE of soothing water that does a small heal over time and greatly increases fire resistance to everyone inside. Does damage to any fire creatures.
      Blizzard: Presistent AOE of ice shards that does a small damage over time and slows the movement speed of anyone entering the field. Does bonus damage to any fire creatures.
    • Healing pond: Creates a pool of water on the ground for X seconds that heals anyone standing in it. Increases incoming electical damage.
      Ice pond: Creates a slick surface of ice on the ground for X seconds, rooting anyone standing in the area upon casting, and causing anyone entering the pond to have a % chance of falling down.
    • Summon Ice elemental: Creates an ice elemental that does low damage but frequently knocks enemies backwards.
      Summon Water elemental: Creates a water elemental that seeks out and heals wounded allies.
    • Purifying rain: Moderate AoE heal with a chance to remove any negative effects.
      Ice storm: Rains sharp ice particples over the area, dealing moderage AOE damage
    • Deluge: Soaks a small area of the ground, slowly the movement of anyone inside and dealing tremendous damage to fire creatures.
      Stalagmite: Creates a stalagmite on teh ground which cannot be moved through...upon expiration, it explodes dealing AOE damage to all enemies nearby.
    Innate:
    • Ice master: increases power of ice skill
    • Water mastery: increases power of water skill

15. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Add Words of Power to spells and add metric ton of non combat magic.
    *kof* flutes *kof* to instruments

Mishri nailed with oudoorsman, as this was decided to add on current skill trees it was the most logical place, when you think forestry as outdoorsman skillset. Also because forestry before was really underwhelming compared to other gather skills, so adding fishing and taming makes it alot more appealing.

mitchellhamilton likes this.
  16. languard

languard Avatar

@ Tibs : Sounds like you're getting brew and distill mixed up. It's legal in 48 states to brew things like wine and beer, though there's a wide variety of restrictions depending on the state. Federal law however blocks you from distilling that home-brew into something more potent without a license.

17. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

I'm curious if the Words of Power are going to make an appearance. I love those things!

mitchellhamilton likes this.
  18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Good catch. I had put an older version of the carpentry tree that didn't have wind instruments. I updated original post with the correct tree and you can also see it here:

[​IMG]

plmarcondes, Mishri, Kilhwch and 6 others like this.
  19. Wodin

Wodin Avatar

When can we expect to learn the total skill points allowed, skill points gained per levels, and/or total number of levels?

20. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

No Levels please, just new content each year, also No Levels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.