My town ideas

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Lord Baldrith, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I am just brainstorming here for my little holdfast. I have in mind to create a town with a wintery layout with pine trees, iced over lakes (during the winter) for ice fishing hopefully, snow (during the winter) grassland in the summer...Maybe some bridges on the big lakes I put...but here is what I have thus far. I am hoping the devs will see some of these thoughts as possible templates. I haven't heard much about changing weather, but I would assume that snow is going to be possible in Novia...I love snow scenes :)

[​IMG]

2. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Brrrrr <shiver>

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

4. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Sounds cold! Make sure to sign up for regular shipments of firewood and heating lamp oil from Port Phoenix! We are proud to serve our fellow player communities - and we offer prompt delivery! :)

5. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Cool *snicker* idea Lord Baldrith!

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    This is what I want my holdfast to look like muhahahaha!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Mata

Mata Avatar

I am really looking forward to visit you!
    (btw. Lord Baldrith, you've got a really great voice and I hear her very much, even though I hardly understand a word :D )

8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Thanks so much Mata :)

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here are some more wizardly town ideas. Not sure how much creativity will be allowed but it is good to get the picture of what you want the town to be like and also to feel like. It would be great if Portalarium allowed signs on buildings so shops could be named. It would add a special feel to the town. Perhaps cobblestoned walkways and crooked wooden signs to show the way also ;)

Net, Time Lord, Asclepius and 2 others like this.
  10. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I love Diagon Alley...A true fan...Hoping I can have sign posts reminiscent of a wizard city from the world of Harry Potter. I was thinking on making some kind of shop with wands on the counters and perhaps magical looking boxes and doo dads...These are the kind of things I am hoping can be achieved in our little towns.

Time Lord, Asclepius and Mata like this.
  11. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG]

Some Excellent pictures of Wizards Rest done by Avatar Acid (Thank you very much kind sir!) I sure hope we can lay the town out like this!

12. Logain

Logain Avatar

While winter is definitly possible (I just love the quality work of Philipp Schmidt and Manufactura 4k ), but I'm not sure a transition between summer and winter is this easy. A continous snow getting piled up is likely past anything Unity can handle with a ~DECENT~ resource drain (yes, it is possible to do, but it just nags on your GPU like...) One could have two scenes and switch between them, but I doubt that this is planned. And it seems that you have a 'small' player owned town, so your surrounding scene is likely far too big for what you're going to get (as nice as it may look).
    I love the idea to build it up in a game though to visualise ;)

13. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Oh the surrounding scene is just for effect. Actually in these pictures Wizards Rest is nestled on a very cold alternative Morgaelin(Ultima VIII Pagan), so they literally can't reproduce it :) When we all know more about how this can work, more things can be done to accurately present ideas from our heads to the team, so I look forward to that! More pictures to come :)

14. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

They have mentioned that there will be seasons...so I would assume if your town was in a northern area of Novia, then the winter could come and the summer could come as well. The scenes for Wizards Rest are based on Winter thus far...and if it's not possible to make both summer and winter looking effects from Ep1, hopefully we can just keep it snowy year round haha...

Time Lord, Ned888, Mata and 1 other person like this.
  15. Goliath Pomerantz

Goliath Pomerantz Avatar

on my site www.pomerantz.enjin.com i show an exact example of town size even a metropolis is not big enough to even lead to a place down the road as in Wizard rest as it is a very nice layout unless theres something i dont know

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

There is a lot I don't know about the instanced player towns and housing. The only thing I know is the total sq meters each town can accept in lots as well as what house lots use up.

For that reason I am not using any limit on the area of the town as a whole. The only limit I am going by is the sum of the lots to the limit provided for each town type.

The rest is ignored, conjecture, and effect :)

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Logain

Logain Avatar

Showing snall fall to the ground is trivial, yes. Changing the assets accordingly to slowly pile up snow is not ;) So yes, there can be seasons, but I doubt that they would have a 'lasting' effect on the scene.

If you check the player owned town description it compares the size of the scene you're going to get to what is already in game (Owl's Head/Braemar). Since we have maps of these with the last update, you can give a rough estimate on the scene size already ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I wasn't available to play R8 so I'm not quite sure about the square meters available to our scene/instance as a whole, or we can freely drop lots around that scene and things like that. I'm quite sure we get more land in the town instance than what is available to the town in player lot allocations though because I do know is that if you use all available "12,600 Square Meters of Player Lots" in a Holdfast with player lots... Well, where do the streets go, around the perimeter? :p

19. Logain

Logain Avatar

I think you misunderstood me :p

In the last update, we were presented with the different maps. For example that of Braemar. Now a village lot is 20 x 30 meters according to the add-on store description. If you now compare the lot size on the map to the complete map size, you get a rough measure of 400*400 meters for Braemar. And if you look up the 'Holdfast' (just an example), you read 'A Holdfast is approximately 2/3 the size of Braemar in the Hidden Vale.' That means you should plan with with about 107000 m² for a Holdfast scene according to the current information.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

No I understand, I just don't have any concrete figures to work with. Thus, I make my own haha. Wishful thinking, but until I know for sure I like to wish big :)

Asclepius and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.