No Open PvP World :( Ds said it into Alpha Im MADDD.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Abydos, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Richard pretty much said something similar to what Darkstarr said back during the Kickstarter campaign. So yes, nothing really has changed since then.

Sir Stile Teckel and Wsye like this.
  2. Amaranthus

Amaranthus Avatar

I don't get the outrage. This is just what the developers have been saying all along. That there would not be an open PvP world and that no player would have to suffer attacks if they did not want to. The danger of adventuring in UO definitely made the game special, because there was always a lot of nerve, but I'm pretty sure this is final.

What to do for PvP'ers? Has anyone been creative and tried to find solutions? With guild full PvP, couldn't New Britannia become every bit as dangerous and risky as Sosaria once was? If a few experienced PvP guilds got the party started, there would be stalking and ambushing enemy guilds, battling it out over outposts that can be manned, rallying guild mates when discovering the enemy - lots of tension. I assume that selective multiplayer will prioritise hooking players up with equal amounts of friends and enemies, and if it reaches its full potential, most of the people you meet will be involved in your strife somehow. If guild wars feature full loot too, you'll have juicy, well equipped marks running around. Heck, you'll be battling for supremacy over the towns themselves. Is it boring that you'll be able to tell your enemies from your friends too easily? Are most PvP'ers lone wolves who'd rather not have to involve themselves with guild mates to fight?

The true loser when it comes to this are those who play for the power fix they get from killing sitting ducks. Those players will have to look around for some other place to hang, because if they go guild war, they're probably going to get slaughtered.

3. Brutal Brutis

Brutal Brutis Avatar

Thank you for posting that! I seee alot of support for full pvp ooutside towns on there and it looks like dark was surprised... I dont no how.. but he was.. oh well atleast he gave striaght answers.. I respect that.. to bad this game turned out going this route.. I wish I could get my money back somehow.. thats my fault for trusting them. Archeage here I come.. good luck to all u sota players that dont pvp.. dont b to excited though cuz more then half ur pop just left... n im not evem a pker... I just like the thrill .. n direct n indirect things full pvp brings to the game.. all them mercenary guilds on guild forums just went under before the game started or them protection businesses I seen people making.. body guards n stuff that would of been sweet.. lol good luck cya on darkdfall or archeage. ?

apoc01, O`Sullivan and Sir Frank like this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Thanks for posting that. the OP was correct. I don't see why they cannot have open pvp everywhere for those who want it (without being a guild member).

I don't want to have to join a PvP guild to have an open pvp experience, and I don't want to have to go to warzones to find a fight. I have never been a fan of seige warfare because I like to travel alone most of the time.

I liked the ability to search around for opponents world wide in UO, and also have the occasional encounter with a PK. It would be nice to be able to help fight against PKs and still be a member of a non-pvp guild, but it doesn't look like this will be that type of game, and it looks like if we want to have full time PvP we have to ditch our peaceful guilds. *I don't like it*

EDIT: And for those of you who don't seem to understand that we were not referring to open pvp for ALL players, only open PvP for those who want to PvP.

apoc01 and Ferrus like this.
  5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

The shock will be very hard for several thousand people. There is a tiny minority of people who follow the forum. The Rat forum like me and you are a minority. Too bad if it was so clear. I sincerely believe that we will all lose. Restrict the players really is not, but really a judicious choice. Reduce the player to follow a line of thought in a sandbox is BAD.

Welcome aboard PvE !

It will be without me and thousands of others !

6. G Din

G Din Avatar

2nd Server. (Non-consensual)

Could also offer Housing at reduced cost for accepting more risk. $50 a plot? Hmm, PvPers and those who want an open world would swarm !! Cha Ching !!

apoc01 and acrylic_300 like this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

$2M: Players Take over the World!!!
    • Castles & Keeps effectively a new “Town Type”, where the structure is ownable by players or guilds
    • Guilds can declare war against other guilds
    • Guilds can declare as full time PVP
    • Guilds can earn a guild house and guild bank
    • Guild Tabbard/Shield/Flags usable by all members
    • Minimum of 5 castle types added to the game
    • Castle merchants with unique merchandise
    • Castle defense scenarios for most castles which can be played offline as well as online

Seems like an easy enough rally point for people to add in the option to declare as full time PvP without guilding.
    • Individuals can declare as full time PvP
    Or at the very least, a guild that is NPC based like pledging fealty to Lord British or his enemy.

8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I agree. It has been noted in other threads that simply segregating the population into separate instances based on a user-set flag would allow for non-guilded PvP.

There must be some fundamental sticking point to that concept which the devs understand, that has eluded the rest of us.

So... The question becomes : What is that sticking point ?

Perhaps an issue integrating it into the Guild vs. Guild conflict : What does one do to avoid non-guilded users interfering in a war between guilds ?

Intriguing...

docdoom77 likes this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If a guild can be full time pvp why not have a PvP option for individuals to declare full time pvp??? It should be something as simple for us to click as a box saying YES I want PvP all the time. End of story.

10. aparks

aparks Avatar

I miss Darkfall Online the original....... DFUW sucks. Game companies now a days just wanna copy WOW and take away our open world sandbox and full loot pvp.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Can't imagine a reason why it can't be. My first thought goes to it being possible and all this is chaos of the unknown brewing a storm that doesn't exist.

But, to be safe, if it was me, I'd start a thread solely dedicated to promoting that feature, in the context of if guilds can declare full PvP should individuals be able to declare full PvP also.

NRaas likes this.
  12. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

You know Rista, giving people the opportunity to join, for example, order or chaos at the outset would be such an efficient solution. Both save energy and problem solving. What do u think?

I gotta find me a guild. (Good)

We have to find guilds that accepts war. (already difficult)

If I do not want to be in a guild what do I do? I kill stupid monsters?

If in a sandbox in a free world of choice in a Fantasy / medieval world I desire to kill a person in the forest without being in a guild. What do I do?

Many people have the desire to feel in an immersive world. And this from the beginning, from the first minute of play.
    We do not want to go out into the forest and get AFK. We want to feel in a world full of danger and adventure.

Restrict players and remove their faculty to be free of their behavior is simply bad.

apoc01 and O`Sullivan like this.
  13. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

No. It's a completely different problem. The reason guilds can PvP is that it's really easy for the game to know who's supposed to fight whom. So all the rules around friendly fire, AoEs, etc. are simple. Its just as easy on the game as faction vs faction in WoW.

So if two guilds are warred with eachother, both see the other as "reds" and can engage at will. Presumably, claiming an objective allows for a temporary "war" while the opposing guild tried to claim it.

I suppose you could make a guild of 1 and start declaring wars on people.

docdoom77 and NRaas like this.
  14. Ser Alain

Ser Alain Avatar

I read the transcript above and fail to see any significant differences between what Darkstar said and what has been said at the Kickstarter, and in many venues since.

There was always not going to be open, unadulterated PvP. From the beginning Pvp has been associated with consensual (via filters) or specific (quest). The one thing that he did not mention in the transcript is whether Pver's will be visible to PvPer's in general or vice versa (filtered out) except of course for those quests areas where PvP is flagged on all.

I see no reasons to suspect that this has changed.

Kaisa, vjek, Umbrae and 2 others like this.
  15. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

SotA be far from WoW. Portalarius is a dynamic and creative company. But now, she makes a mistake. Everyone can make mistakes. We are Pre-Alpha, I hope Porta realize the gravity of this decision error.

apoc01 likes this.
  16. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I like the idea of another server...but I think they have milked enough money out of the PvP crowd the way it is. The biggest gains they have made always followed some half passed PvP announcement that wasn't quite clear.

apoc01, Ara and Brutal Brutis like this.
  17. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Not exactly certain why you quoted me there, since I was merely theorizing on *why* it might not be possible for them to do so.

Continuing my thought experiment :

I wonder what happens when four different warring factions (A vs B and C vs D) enter the same hex. Is a "A vs B" instance spun up for that war, and a different "C vs D" instance spun up to accommodate that war ?

Hmmm...

18. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Just for u man !

19. G Din

G Din Avatar

Aye, just throwing out ideas. Single Player Offline ? hmmm

apoc01 and Brutal Brutis like this.
  20. Brutal Brutis

Brutal Brutis Avatar

Yeah your right they alrdy got us pvpers money.. were screwed but atleast ill always remember.. sittin on uo in a free shard full pvp when lord black n lord brit came n gave us the feeling that it was "UO IN SPIRIT" thousands got excited now u should see brit bank people are spamming stuff about lord brit n black pulling a fast one to get r money n hopes up...theres even animals named after them ppl r tamin then killing lol.. bad move.. u just lost soo many ppl.. n the population u do have will b boring n low..

apoc01, Subotai, Ara and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.